1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

HSUS Has Quietly Sent $26 Million to the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Dog Blogs' started by HumaneWatch, Mar 19, 2014.

1. HumaneWatch

HumaneWatch Humane Watch RSS Feed

[​IMG]A sharp-eyed reader pointed us to something buried in HSUS’s latest tax return, covering the year 2012. On page 32, HSUS states that it made an “investment” total $25.7 million in the “Central American and the Caribbean” region. We went back to HSUS’s 2009, 2010, and 2011 tax returns. There were no reported investments of any kind abroad.

Strange? We think so.

Where exactly is this $26 million “invested”? It turns out HSUS funneled mega-bucks to several funds located in the Cayman Islands. You know, the secretive place where secretive people stuff their secretive money. Bond villain-type stuff.

So where did HSUS donor money go? According to its 990-T and supplemental forms:

• $500,000 to Ascend Partners Fund I, L.P., a Cayman hedge fund
    • $253,000 to BKM Holdings (Cayman) Ltd.
    • $8 million to Fore Multi Strategy Offshore Fund, Ltd., in the Caymans
    • $5 million to Hayman Capital Offshore Partners, L.P. in Bermuda
    • $6.7 million invested in Fir Tree International Value Fund in the Caymans
    We did a little more digging into these groups, which appear to mostly be hedge funds. But why would a U.S. charity be putting $26 million in the Caribbean? (And the figures above only add up to a little over $20 million—where’s the other $5 million?)

HSUS is a non-profit. It’s not in the business of investing money in hedge funds to make a profit. It’s in the business—according to its ads—of saving animals now. Now means right away—not in 10 years when HSUS may have made a loss on its Caribbean investments. (HSUS reports in its 990-T losing $61,000 in 2012 on various partnerships.)

The bottom line: It’s hard to save animals when you’ve parked $25 million offshore.

There’s a reason people write “H$U$.” It’s because money seems to come first for the cynics and the bean-counters running HSUS. And it’s one more reason to give to your local shelter directly, not to a questionable national organization that might stick your donations in the Caymans.

More from HumaneWatch...

2. david63

david63 CH Dog

A good read on the Humane Society thanks keep us up to date. The Humane Society cheating bastards..

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

That shit has been going on forever how do you think those AR activist became so powerful? All that money, power and corruption for there own hidden agenda......its just now in this new age of technology info gets spread very easily so finally they getting there ass EXPOSED.

4. david63

david63 CH Dog

Saiyagin I am glad they're getting their ass exposed.

5. Jefferson

Jefferson Big Dog

There was a lot of raids on game dog guys in Costa Rica. I bet that's where the money is going. They are trying to eradicate dogfighting there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. david63

david63 CH Dog

HSUS cannot stop it in US why do they think they can stop it in Costa Rica.

7. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

Its embezeled misappropriated money for their own personal use and benefit.

8. sweetscience

sweetscience Big Dog

It is unfortunate we make donations thinking we are supporting and helping animals in need, and money,the root of all evil, superceeds the intent of helping animals in the present time. I totally agree with the above member, donate to your local shelter. I go to my local shelter and and ask the staff and management what they are in need of and donate ,contribiute what i can and follow up to insure the contributions have been allocated accordingly

9. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

Its Wayne Pacelle's run away money.