1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How much should I feed my 11 week old Pit Bull Boxer Marley?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kevsmc127, Oct 31, 2011.

1. kevsmc127

kevsmc127 Pup

I have an 11 week old Pit Bull Boxer pup and I have been feeding him 3 cups, 3 times a day, of purina pro plan chicken and rice, made for puppies. Is this too much or too little? He seems perfectly fine, he eats all the food I give him and is still extremely energetic. Him and my neighbors dogs can play for hours. Thanks for any help!

photo(1).jpg photo.jpg photo(2).jpg

2. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

At the back of the bag there is a diagram with age, weight and kible quantity you should give.

3. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

I wouldn't feed my dogs anything purina...read the ingredients lots of corn and the chicken is byproduct. Meaning it's beaks and feet ground up. I would look into a natural dog food lots of them put there that are very affordable. As for portions I usually let pups eat whenever up until certain time of night. Just leave enough time to empty out. Good luck

4. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Holy crap 3 cups 3x a day for an 11 week old pup that's way too much food IMO ... Do u have a budget u want to stay within per month for dog food? Purina is a terrible feed with poor digestable nutrients and you are better off going with something like Innova if it suites your budget.

5. CajunCountryK9

CajunCountryK9 Big Dog

He looks great. Are you measuring your kibble with an actual measuring cup? 9 cups of kibble a day would be far too much for even my Am Bull. I'm thinking you may be measuring with a small drinking type cup maybe?

6. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I just wanted to add I don't follow what's on the bag I go by how my dog's look and activity levels to support what I am feeding when your feeding a higher quality feed with higher quality ingredient's you do not have to feed as much as you would a lower quality feed. I am feeding Wilderness Salmon formula which is grain free my older dog's get 2 cups a day. My puppy who is 10 weeks old get's 1 1/2 cups a day none of my dog's are starving and they look very healthy. Over feeding a dog is not good and you run the risk of having an over weight dog later down the line that's the last thing you want. If you are not really feeding 9 cup's a day as CCK9 had suggested you might not be measuring your food properly I would suggest using a measuring cup I do and it's really fast and easy and I know for sure how much my dog's are eating on a daily basis. This is a good site that will give you an idea of what dog feeds are rated it's not up to date but you can at least have something to go by. I suggest not going below a 5 star feed but not everyone can afford 50-60 bag of food every month especially when you are feeding multiple dogs. But there are better quality feeds out there for about the same price as what your feeding now.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

7. Yeah that's entirely too much if you're actually giving 9 cups of food a day

8. CajunCountryK9

CajunCountryK9 Big Dog

I actually do the same thing. I go by how my dogs look and how much I am working them. I don't think I have ever gone by the charts on the bags. If I did, all my dogs would be hog fat, lol.

9. coach

coach Big Dog

IMG_2275.jpg I respectively disagree....The type of food is good that has been mentioned...I also like EVO.....my belief is feed the dog two times a day till its belly is ready to burst...seriously...I do this up to 6 months then start to back off and by the time it is say a year regulate more...at this point your gonna start exercising playing hard etc.To maximize the dogs potential feed that bitch....This is Stella and she eats two times a day till her belly is ready to blow!!

Attached Files:

10. coach

coach Big Dog

11. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

LMAO!! I here you there I am always watching my dog's weight like a hawk I am OCD about it LOL and I have never gone by the bag either. If I fed my dog's 3-4 cups of EVO or Wilderness a day they wouldn't be able to walk they would be so fat LOL. I keep my feed in a cooler with a measuring cup on top for easy access LOL it just makes it easier for me to feed them every night plus I know they are getting just the right amounts and your right when you are working them depending on how much they are being worked you can always adjust the amount to support their needs that is why going by the bag doesn't work so well. LOL

12. CajunCountryK9

CajunCountryK9 Big Dog

Hell that's why if something ever came up and someone had to feed my dogs for me for some reason, I wouldn't even have a set cup amount to tell them LOL. I have a couple that are of similar size/structure that I feed different amounts to because if I fed one of them the same amount as the other, she would be bloated and uncomfortable LOL. It's pretty interesting also how dogs of the same size can have such different metabolisms. Yet ANOTHER point as to why feeding off the bag's 'general' portions per weight do NOT usually work!

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I wonder what those feeding guidelines are based off of? You know how can you possibly set a feeding guideline for every dog when every dog's metabolism is different? I think they need to come out with a documentary for dog food like Food Inc exposing the food industry except doing one to expose the dog food industry LOL.

14. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Sadie you know it would get twisted around like everything else. You could run it by Micheal Moore I guess. lol

15. CajunCountryK9

CajunCountryK9 Big Dog

I feel it's part of a propaganda from the dog food companies. To some, a 'fat' dog is a 'healthy' dog LOL They of course would want you to feed more so you'd need to buy more feed. That's also why the 'general' public thinks our dogs are so 'skinny' whenever they see them. They don't know a healthy/in shape dogs from their own a$$holes lmao.

16. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I hope that guy is not using a 1 cup measurer. Because unless it was a baby elephant, no puppy of mine is getting 9 cups of food a day. I don't care of it's Gravy Train.

17. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yeah that makes sense I was thinking that too just wanted to see if you thought the same. I have a friend who is a Vet and he told me a lot of Vet's are not very well informed about Canine Nutririon which is obviously why they push those garbage feeds like science diet and many will tell you not to feed raw. I know at least with my dog's they don't tolerate grains well. I am always puzzled when I see a dog whose been fed Ol' Roy all it's life and has never has any issues with coat allergies my dog's get anything with grains in it and they are scratching up a storm!

18. CajunCountryK9

CajunCountryK9 Big Dog

Yeah I'll never get that either. I've been a vet tech for 15 yrs. I could swear that it always seems like the people who do their best to take the best care of their dogs have the most issues, lol. I've seen people that have had fat ol'roy fed dogs, tied out, never vaccinated, no heartworm prevention, live like 15yrs, 'seemingly' healthy lmao. Science Diet...ugh. The name alone should be a red flag! The hospitals I worked for always used/prescribed Science Diet or Eukanuba brand prescription diets. Most of which I have actually seen work very well, however, as far as standard maintenance diets go, I wouldn't feed either. I know when times are tough, we gotta do what we gotta do, but when I have a choice, I stay away from those feeds. We have been currently feeding Black Gold to our adults for the past year and a half. Any under 6mths old get Taste of the Wild. If it was possible, I'd have ALL my dogs on that feed, but that is just not reasonable for me right now. The adults look fantastic though on the Black Gold. Very minimal stool, glowing coats, high energy levels. That Taste of the Wild is awesome for the puppies. They seem to really thrive on it. And none of my pups have ever been fed anywhere near 9 actual measured cups a day, lol.

19. spliff

spliff Big Dog

9 cups a day (way to much!)
    3 cups tops for a puppy 1 cup 3 times a day should be fine.
    Adult dogs (1 & up) get 2 cups 1 time a day sometimes more depending on workload.again this is just a guideline,like others have said you need to rely on your eyes to skinny feed more to fat feed less.

20. KennaMike

KennaMike Pup

Sometimes measuring up your body with folks out the current environment might not exactly do the job.

The amounts of chubby as well as being overweight in a region, including the United States or even United kingdom, are a lot higher than in The Netherlands. Consequently a Nederlander could shoot for a smaller recommended weight compared to an American in the event that almost all he or she managed to do is usually to do a comparison of their self for other individuals.

You can find 3 ways to assist you discover if your own bodyweight is best suited, and also exactly what the goal needs to be if it isn't. You are able to determine your own Bmi, Weight-Height Ratio, and also Human body Fat Percent.

Body mass index and also WHR can be determined effortlessly from home. WHR is a bit more exact when compared with Bmi. Even so, Bmi is actually a helpful indication if you're "normal" man or woman - no sportsperson or perhaps a focused body weight instructor.

In the event you start a weight-loss program that also includes eating and working out, be aware that the physical exercise will likely improve your muscle tissue, that might raise your body weight, despite the fact that the stomach might reduce. Muscle tissue weighs about greater than body fat.

Taken From | HowMuchShouldIWeighChart.com

It may be preferable to shoot for particular waistline, hips and also chest muscles dimensions. The Waist-hip rate objective is attainable. If you believe actually devoted, look at your Body Fat Percent; if you aren't pleased with the particular reading, talk about a reasonable focus together with a expert in nutrition, sports activities researchers, as well as fitness instructor and thus do it now!