1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How hard is it to get the right dog

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by odinslad, May 15, 2012.

1. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

I am writing this in correspondence to a thread on the pups section ,I have found it hard in getting that right dog for myself in now going on two & a bit years looking for that right dog & i know along the way i have been let down , promiced , waited for the phone call you name it but still aint got the dog i desire .
    Now dont get me wrong here but you have people out their who love their dogs & in doing so only want the best of homes to go to which i can understand & then the pedlers who are only out to make a quick pound note or two but it does come up here alot with people looking for pups .
    In my time on this forum i have met some good blokes which i can honestly say have the whole breed in their heart & onlly want the dogs to go to the right people & in doing so have a word with others who have litters planned in the future but then again as one tries to help another one through the right reasons & dont know the buyer wont sell his dog & if you ask me why should he after mabee years of planning to get the right lines sell a pup to someone he dosnt even know as we all say when we buy a dog we will keep in touch but as years pass you loose contact which i will say we have all done in the past .
    I would just like to here what other people think of this & dont get me wrong after the long wait i will still get that dog , i would also like to personaly thank those on this site who i have met over the last two years for their help in finding that dog , once again a bit thank you as yous know who you are .

2. jt ellison

jt ellison Big Dog

First you need to think what you require in a dog ? Do you want a pet and companion ? Do you want a purebred dog of a certain breed ? Do you want a dog for sporting purposes ? Do you require the diog to have a genuine pedigree . Do you want a athletic type of dog ? Do you want a KC registared dog ? Then after deliberating all this you need to find someone who is genuine and willing to sell you a quality puppy in the first place . First thing is to ask aeound and find whos genuine then ask to see the parents grandparents if possibble . Ask why the pups are for sale why they were bred as most breeders just breed for the sake of breeding , you get the statement im just breeding to replace old Judy but happen to have six littermates for sale . Quality pups are usually never offered for sale to the public , if they were good pups then friends of the breeder would want them and you wouldnt hear about them . I was always dubious about people that talked about superbly bred litters putting lavish adverts in the dog rags extolling the virtues of the pups and there ancestors then in the next issue they have more puppies for sale usually bred different than the last ones . Its the same with working dogs why would someone try for years to breed a family of dogs then sell them to anyone ? Good dogs are very hard to breed and harder still to breed so why would you sell them especially if your competing with them , why would you want others to have whay you have ? Its the same with adult dogs being sold , if there good then why are they for sale , if you have a good dog why would you want to sell it , if it was a working dog surely youd work it ? You need to find someone whos GENUINE about dogs let them see your genuine earn there trust then maybe just maybe they might after a long time trust you with a puppy , but believe me quality wellbred pups are hard to find and even harder to buy , i wish you luck in your search but seriously be very careful before you hand over your money

3. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

Thanks for your advice on that , but what im trying to put across is that you know what your looking for in a dog , you have done your bit of homework on the lines (lines) your after , you have then made inquires into who has the dogs you are looking for, so then it gets harder you have made contact with the bloke that has what you are looking for then its ill phone you back that never happens ?

Or you get talking to the right person who knows what dogs are out their , he has a word with the bloke who has the pups who you get in contact with regarding the litter that is planned then its the questions ( which id do myself ) then you dont here from them again as basicly they dont know you or you aint answered the right questions so thats another let down , so why not juwst tell you straight NO DOGS ARE NOT FOR SALE .........

Then its the breeding that is planned that just dosnt happen bad luck as we all know not all dogs get caught so its time wasted again after building up your hopes so its back to the drawing board to start all over again never ending for that right dog, so its a waiting game in getting that right dog .

4. Finito

Finito Big Dog

Clearly them lads you are speaking to,don't believe you are going to be suitable to the type of home you are willing to give. It's up to you to prove them wrong. If not,then try elsewhere. The longer the wait,the more you will educate yourself & understand their feelings. Give them lads a little credit as there is a lot out there who would have sold you anything,gave you the ped you want & took your hard earned money.
    Believe it or not,there is people out there who do regret letting lads get anything from them,to later find out that dogs offspring is being peddled to all & sundry.
    I am not saying you are a bad lad or will abuse the breeders hopes/wishes,but maybe if you put yourself in their shoes then it will help you to understand.
    If you want a dog for weight pulling then look at dogs & breeders who do that. If you want a good confirmation dog then look them types up etc etc.
    In the time it takes until you get your pup then dig a little deeper as in several year time you may well find some hard truths which may change your mind as to what you are looking for. Better to be safe now,than sorry later.
    Good luck.

5. Finito

Finito Big Dog

Clearly them lads you are speaking to,don't believe you are going to be suitable to the type of home you are willing to give. It's up to you to prove them wrong. If not,then try elsewhere. The longer the wait,the more you will educate yourself & understand their feelings. Give them lads a little credit as there is a lot out there who would have sold you anything,gave you the ped you want & took your hard earned money.
    Believe it or not,there is people out there who do regret letting lads get anything from them,to later find out that dogs offspring is being peddled to all & sundry.
    I am not saying you are a bad lad or will abuse the breeders hopes/wishes,but maybe if you put yourself in their shoes then it will help you to understand.
    If you want a dog for weight pulling then look at dogs & breeders who do that. If you want a good confirmation dog then look them types up etc etc.
    In the time it takes until you get your pup then dig a little deeper as in several year time you may well find some hard truths which may change your mind as to what you are looking for. Better to be safe now,than sorry later.
    Good luck.

6. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

I Know where you are coming from in just selling that dog & as mentioned before i don t blame them blokes in not selling their to dogs to just anyone & i do take my hat off to them for that as i said before why should they spend time & effort in getting the right dog just to sell it to anyone especialy to someone they dont even know ??? & lets face it is them people who are putting all the effort in to their dogs are the ones who want to keep the breed strong & in doing so want to know where their dogs are going not the peddler type who we all know dont give a monkey who they sell their dogs to .
    The point i am trying to raise is that if you dont know these people or even try to aproach them at shows , internet forums & ask about their dogs then the sheild gos up & questions are asked who you are , your plans for a dog ect ect & remember you dont know them they dont know you so their is a bit of mistrust as you could be anyone looking for that dog even if your intentions for the dog is only good , even when you are put incontact throgh a third party who can vouch that you are a genuine lover of the breed their is still questions being asked , now i have had had experiance in staffs going over 20 years now & to be honest aint had a bad one yet but when you see what is out their now for sale it isnt what im looking for , you just have to go on the net , look in the local papers & the place is full of staffs for sale , you can go to your cat & dog compounds & their is more staffs / staff mixs looking to be rehomed & to me their is something wrong with that ie PEDDLERS .so you cant blame these blokes out their with the best intrests for their pups .

You QUOTE ;If you want a dog for weight pulling then look at dogs & breeders who do that. If you want a good confirmation dog then look them types up etc etc.
    I know exactly what kind of dog im looking for but as mentioned getting what you want is harder than what you think it is i know some people out their get the dog then when it is fully grow & dosnt meet the expectations of that owner then the dog is out so this is why it is hard to get the dog you are after as the ones who put all the time & effort in dont want to that happen to their dogs & you cant blame them for that only respect them for their dedication & love of the breed .

Well finito i thank you for your opinion on this matter as i can go on & on .