1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Houston billionaire on Humane Society's list

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by EvolutionKennels, Jul 24, 2007.

1. July 24, 2007, 11:09AM
    Humane Society urges prosecution of Houston tycoon

By TOM FOWLER
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
    TOOLS

The Humane Society of the United States is urging the Justice Department to prosecute Houston billionaire Dan Duncan for hunting from a helicopter in Russia and bringing his trophies back to the U.S.

Duncan testified before a grand jury in Houston last week about the hunting trip in which he killed a moose and a sheep while flying with a Russian guide. He said he wasn't aware hunting from a helicopter was illegal in Russia.

"The Humane Society of the United States urges prosecution to the full extent of the law and we thank the Department of Justice for giving this case the attention it deserves," the group said in a statement Monday.

Duncan's attorney, Rusty Hardin, said he "respects everyone's right to have an opinion" but would not comment further on the group's statement.

Hardin said last week that the government might prosecute Duncan under the Lacey Act, a law designed to prevent the interstate and international trafficking of rare plants and animals, although the animals he shot were not endangered.

tom.fowler@chron.com

COMMENTS
    Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the Houston Chronicle.
    Report item as: (required) X
    Comment: (optional)
    Report item as: (required) X
    Comment: (optional)
    User Image
    Kurt77032 wrote:
    Looks like the idiots at the humane society (and some posters here) have way to much time on their hands.

Why do any of the posters here give one rats a** as to what this man does outside of the USA? This is complete BS!

I mean.. come on we have plenty of really deserving criminals to go after commiting crimes right here in the good ole USA.

On a side note.. all you bunny huggers can kiss my hambuger eating A**!

PETA = People eating tastey animals!
    7/24/2007 7:25:16 PM
    Recommend

Report abuse
    User Image
    mickey07 wrote:
    What a total waste of time and taxpayers money. Who cares? Personally, I think many of these negative comments are based strictly on the plain fact that this guy has the bucks to do what he darn well pleases. If he wants to go hunting in downtown Madrid, fine, get after it. Why is it any of our business and why is the Chronicle making this such a news event? We have plenty of real lowlifes breaking into our homes on a daily basis so let's see if we can't capture them and put them in cages. The Humane Society must be hanging with the ACLU crowd. Enough of this foolishness. Let's get our Houston predators off the streets. Maybe Mr. Duncan can give our police some tips.
    7/24/2007 6:37:14 PM
    Recommend (1)

Report abuse
    User Image
    LANDFAN23 wrote:
    Just please clarify why our goverment is prosecuting him with our tax money and the Russian goverment could care less??? If they dont care.. why do we? The Humane Society should focus more on the prevention of cruelty to animals right here.. dog fighting rings, puppy farms, stray and neglected animals, fur farms..not one moose and one sheep... I will not donate antoher penny to them until the redirect there focus where it better serves American citizens and the many many animals right here around us that desperately need their attention.
    7/24/2007 4:45:33 PM
    Recommend (1)

Report abuse
    User Image
    salgal66 wrote:
    You know what they say about guys that drive real bigs trucks, right?? Well, I wonder if the same goes for guys with real big tusks??!!
    7/24/2007 4:37:32 PM
    Recommend

Report abuse
    User Image
    MEGABITE wrote:
    The humane society (peta jr.) are just trying to get their name in the paper to get more donations to line their pockets with. The illegal hunts took place in Russia, not here.
    7/24/2007 4:36:49 PM
    Recommend

Report abuse
    User Image
    singerlink wrote:
    The only wrong I see here,Duncan didn't have a big Texas size Bar-B-Que with the wild game he shot(like leagal),invite all his ill advised critics.Way to go"Frank Buck"Duncan.
    7/24/2007 4:35:15 PM
    Recommend (1)

Report abuse
    User Image
    AdamM wrote:
    wheres the challenge shooting defenseless animals from a helicopter or even with a gun?
    however, prosecuting mr. duncan is pointless; it makes much more sense to let him donate $$$ for animal conservation projects....
    7/24/2007 4:02:50 PM
    Recommend (3)

Report abuse
    User Image
    justmyopinion1 wrote:
    poor guy for the heck he is getting and poor animals. i am an animal lover therefore i would never hunt, but i have no ill feelings toward those who do hunt. if they can leave with it so be it then. but what he did was not illegal in Russia and the animals aren't endangered. Monettan you make a good point about the Human Society euthanizing animals for whatever reason. Anyhow, shouldn't be a hypocrite I eat burgers [​IMG]
    7/24/2007 2:07:47 PM
    Recommend (4)

Report abuse
    User Image
    Juan67 wrote:
    Mr. Duncan's companies have and are providing jobs for a lot of people in the Houston area. He has probably done more for people and also for animals than all the people in the Human Society combined.
    7/24/2007 1:58:08 PM
    Recommend (6)

Report abuse
    User Image
    settledown wrote:
    Man, I'll bet that house smells like a petting zoo! I say if he broke no law then leave the man alone. This IS the USA - he has the right to pursue his happiness as long as he's not breaking our laws. If he breaks Russia's laws, THEY should deal with it. If not, then it's none of anyone else's business. People shoot moose and sheep all the time - they aren't endangered!
    7/24/2007 1:49:23 PM
    Recommend (6)

Report abuse

2. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

So the US is trying to prosecute for something he did in Russia?How stupid.AS long as he didnt kill anything endangered who cares?

3. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

This is silly. People come up with silly laws just bounce their balls... lol

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

They care less, that their "dog fighting expert" and many before him, are known TERRORISTS. Shit like this, only helps distract attention from where it needs to be. Anyone remember Garcia?

Didn't think so.

5. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

who's Garcia?

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6447&highlight=garcia

Exactly.

Or the multitude of ALF and ELF extremists they have on the payroll, most famousely, arson of a lab which performed medical experiments on animals.

I find it absolutely ridiculous Jones can help murder someone, and walks away scot free. Vick is ALLEGED to be a participant in small-time $500 backyard bullshit dog-fights, from two informants already in prison, and loses sponsorship and eligibility to play in the NFL before any proof is brought forth.

Those with the most money, control the media. Those with the most media influence, can do as they wish.