1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Horse Meat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bobby Rooster, Jan 12, 2009.

?

Would you feed your dogs horse meat?

1. Yes

79.0%
  2. No

21.0%
  1. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

As long it's some clean meat (free of parasites), i'd give it a try.

2. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Roflmao RR, that's corny as all hell but funny stuff hahahahaha

3. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I love horses. :( The slaughter of them makes me sick, and I'm glad they shut down the plants in the US that were exporting meat... and they were all owned by overseas companies, and didn't pay taxes to the US.

I love horses more than dogs... so no I would never eat horse meat myself and my dog has a great sources of protein in her dog food... It's EVO... turkey, chicken, herring meal.. more natural things for dogs to eat.

4. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I have been feeding my dogs some horse meat off a colt we slaughtered and they look great on it.

I feel the exact opposite as you do HB, I love horses don't get me wrong but they ARE LIVE STOCK and NOT PETS!!!!!

The ending of horse slaughter for human consumption has drove the horse market to crap... And their is more horse abuse than ever because people can't afford to feed em, and if they can't sell em and can't cull em they have no purpose.

I'm all for the slaughter of horses for their meat to go to something useful.
    And I HATE with a passion the AR rut jobs that try to put the horse as a pet they are the SAME type of people that are an enemy to the Game Dog!

5. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

Lol I think you are the only one but now that you point it out :D

6. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Please spare me on the AR people... I'm not an AR person just because I don't see horse meat as acceptable for human consumption, nor would I feed it to my dog. I considered my Thoroughbred a pet, I don't consider them livestock. I have a very strong love for horses. I can't eat my favorite animal... just like I wouldn't eat a dog or cat.

Acceptable meats to me are cattle, deer, chicken, turkey regularly consumed meats in this country.

The entire way of "fast food" slaughtering of all animals in this country is inhumane. I don't like it, but not really much I can do about it. I'm surely not going to stop eating meat.

Horses have been side by side to men just as long as dogs. They are given names, jobs such as rounding up cattle, or as for myself, I ride english. Which is pretty much the sporting of the horse world.

When I had my horse put down I had him humanely euthanized. He was my first horse, I loved him very much, it was almost 2 years ago and I still occasionally break down and cry over the loss.

Livestock, pet, property whatever you want to call it... horses are the most beautiful and graceful creatures in my eyes and many others.

7. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

If the horse was healthy I don't see what it would hurt.I feed my dogs butcher scraps every chance I get.We got a few horses on the farm and it's not like I'm going out to kill them just for dog food,but if one breaks it's leg or just gets old and dies,the dogs get it just like with the cattle.

8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

this is funny shit :DI never heard of feeding it to dogs. But if it works good I would use it.In miami I was downtown with my girl and we went into this restaurant I think it was haitian and thay had horse on the menu I thought it was funny as shit.I should go back and see if thay will hook me up with some

9. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

don't know much about horses so i wouldn't say yes for sure. i know alot of stuff you give to horses says do not use on horses that are for consumption. if it were free of chemicals, hormones, and parasites, i probably would if it were ok for the dogs.

10. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Hmm I better stay away from this one. :eek:

11. simms

simms CH Dog

Most ppl don't send thier "pets" to slaughter. Horse meat is good meat and is useful. No reason in this world that we have starving ppl. Hell , I like goat!

12. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

goat sounds good. does it taste like lamb? i love eating lamb! i'm pretty sure my dogs aren't going to care what the meat looked like before it was slaughtered, neither do i. as long as it's safe for them to eat. slaughtering them is alot better than what people were doing up at the lake near us. they couldn't afford to feed them so they just took them up there and cut them loose to fend for themselves. now that was cruel.

13. Mary_Jane

Mary_Jane Big Dog

I feed it to my dogs.. I get good meaty butcher scraps for free (my aunt knows the butcher) and my dogs LOVE it. I myself, like Hells Bells, don't eat horse meat, but i still won't turn down a free meal for the dogs ;)

14. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I've never ate lamb before so I couldn't compare but goat is actually pretty good.I've eat alot worse.Really any meat prepared right should be perfectly edible,regardless what the animal looked like before,whether it was cute and cuddely or just nasty looking.All that gets skinned off.I love chicken but they are some of the nastiest birds in the world.Anyway,I'm sure the dog doesn't care,he's just happy to have a meal.I've seen dogs eating on cow carcasses and I've actually seen them crawl inside a cow's back end up into the stomach cavity for awhile and then they'd come out stinking like everything.They couldn't of been happier.Animals don't have the gross out hangups people do.So I'm sure just plain horse meat would be fine for a dog.I think where people don't like the idea of horse meat probaly comes from them just liking horses and it would be like killing a loved pet instead of livestock to them.Kind of like alot of people would feel about a dog or cat,but just look in a asian country or a starving kid in Africa and rover gets eaten more times than not.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  15. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Only if the boot fits.... Darlin'

There's a saying that goes like...

If it walks like a duck.... Etc... etc...

16. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

how could someone eat a horse! with all the food available you can feed it to your dog why a horse?

17. simms

simms CH Dog

Waste not want not.

18. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

Well I personally don't eat horse but if I could get it I would feed it to my dog. Like others have said it is livestock why wouldn't you feed it?

19. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I've never eat a horse either,but would under the right conditions.People see them as off limits I think because they like them.I live on a farm and have access to a variety of animals,and most all are nice to a point.Just bottle raise a calf and more times than not he'll be friendly and follow you around like a puppy.But I still like a good hamburger.To me a baby calf is a friendly as any colt I've ever seen.So I'd just as soon feed a horse as a cow or vice versa.I don't eat things or feed them to my dogs because I have no feelings for them,but things got to eat.

20. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

good point gh. i worked on a dairy farm for some time. i milked the cows and bottle fed the calves. they'd follow me around and head butt me in the bum. alot of them have names, but when it came time to slaughter, it was just their time. bulls on a dairy farm aren't good for much anyway. meat is meat. no matter what it is if i had no choice i suppose i'd eat it, and i know my dogs would.