1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Horse Meat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bobby Rooster, Jan 12, 2009.

?

Would you feed your dogs horse meat?

1. Yes

79.0%
  2. No

21.0%
  1. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

If raw horse meat was readily available to you at a reasonable price frozen and ground up for dog food would you feed it to your dogs?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009
  2. moonshine

moonshine Pup

Yes and I sometimes do.Over here there is always plenty as a result of the horse racing industry and the many failures.It is good clean meat but doesnt pput that much condition on a dog but keeps them lean.
    We also export to France and other European countries for human consumption.

3. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I would I mean meat is meat. As long as there are no parasites I would imagine any meat is good for a dog. Some may be better because they have less fat, etc but in the end it is good food for a dog.

4. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Nope......

5. rooster

rooster Banned

Horse meat is fantastic. Top greyhounds were fed it for the racing industry!
    Can't go wrong with that. If I could get it here I'd use it!:D

6. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

horse meat was available in cans but I havent seen it lately around MI.

I like venison the best, you can use almost every part of the deer for dogs. Even the hides and bones.

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I'd need to go with "undecided." I don't know enough about horse meat to say yay or nay.

8. cutt

cutt CH Dog

USDA promotes eating horse meat

9. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

That is what Baker Davis used in his keep. He swore by it. I just think of horses as big ol dogs and could never bring my self to butcher one. And Ive eaten just about every thing. J

10. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

I said no........

11. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

I'd try it if it were available here in NJ. I don't know if i could get here tho. Hemi which dog is that in pic ^ ?

12. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

that's Hemi. we have been been exercising a lot of late trying to get ready for show season. Just changed his food so we will see

13. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Wasn't horse meat pulled from manufactured dog food years ago? Was it because the practice was thought to be inhumane or because it was not good for them? BTW, here's a good article on dog food.
    http://www.petfoodinstitute.org/petfoodhistory.htm

14. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

He is looking a little different. Looking good too, BTW.

15. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

I'd try it (for them, not me..eww)...my dogs wouldn't care.

16. TigerLady

TigerLady Pup

There are few meats that I would NOT feed to my dog, (if that meat is contaminate free, and not harmful to my dogs in any way)

I would not feed primate (including human, of course) meat to my dogs.
    I would not feed dog, or cat (domestic, or wild) carcasses to my dogs.
    I would not feed any sort of endangered species' meat to my dogs.

Beyond the above exclusions, if it slithers on its belly, walks on the earth, hops, flies in the air, or swims in the water - it is fair game as food for my dogs.

Horse meat is an EXCELLENT protein source!

~Tiger

17. hozomeen

hozomeen Big Dog

Funny this is brought up because I've currently been reading a book "Give Your Dog A Bone" by Dr. Ian Billinghurst. And today i came across the section in this book talking a little bit about horse meat. I have never read anything concerning horse before and thought some might find it interesting.

I think feeding raw should be relatively simple and for the most part as far as I'm concerned in regards to feeding raw meat to the dogs, raw meat is raw meat until it causes allergic reactions then don't feed that particular species. This book has been informative however and i can make a little bit more of an informed decision.

"Although meat generally contains first class, good quality protein, the one exception is horse meat where the quality and digestibility of the protein is lower than other meats."

The major difference between meats is in the level of ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS. Chicken and pork have the highest levels, with lamb second, beef third and kangaroo last. I have no data on the horse, except the most of it is pretty lean, but the fat which is present is yellow and oily, indicating the presence of carotenoids [vitamin A Precursors] and high levels of unsaturated fats."

"Most horse meat is very lean, which makes it lower in energy than other meats. It is also less digestibility than other meats. This will often lead to diarrhoea. If feeding horse meat, do not feed a lot of it, feed some other meat as well, e.g. chicken or mutton or fatty beef."

18. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

am i the only one that caught this?;)

19. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

What do you mean RR?

20. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

nnnnaaaayyyyyyy
    the sound a horse makes, the correct spelling is neigh though. not really that funny, but im a bit off tonight