1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

HELP me with this rescue!

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by Envy's Mom, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

A friend of mine called to tell me that a pit was dropped off at his house and he wanted us (me and my boyfriend) to come get it. I've never taken on a full grown dog that I knew nothing about, but he looks like he was in bad shape. I can't take him to the vet untill Friday, so I fed him and my friend agreed to keep him untill I can get him to the vet. He looks so sad because his ribs and back bone stick out really bad and his head is so huge. He limps on his back right leg which has a small gash. He is a sweet little brindle boy that has a sweet disposition. He was playing with my friends little boy; gently tugging on the edge of his shirt. I saw him get rowdy after a cat, but I dont own any cats so I dont really have a problem with that. I was searching threds to get advice on putting weight on him and just advice on what to do with a rescue. The first thing I'm going to do is get him to the vet. Any tips and advice are openly welcome. I've never rescued before and to think of it all my pits have been female. HELP!

2. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I have been calling around to the vets to get pricing on a check up for this guy, but they are giving me outrageous prices. Can someone tell me what I should do for this dog? I have experience giving dogs shots and ivermec and things of that nature. Is there someone who could guide me on what I could do for him myself untill I can get him to a vet? All the quotes I'm getting are well over $200.00 just for a office visit, a fecal, rabbies, distemper, and heartworm check. Please someone give me some advice. I don't know what to do. I dont know of a shelter around him to take him to and I dont want him to die, so I have no problem keeping and feeding him, but the vet bills are outrageous and I'm afraid to take him home and my other dog get sick. Please Help! I cant just let him starve and die.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  3. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

There is no secret formula to this if he has no serious condition or illness. Take him to the vet, give him good food and plenty of TLC and everything should be just fine. You mentioned he played a little with a boy so he can't be feeling that bad. Probably just malnourished.

4. Attila

Attila Guest

The object is to put weight back on him slowly. Give him his shots. Keep him hydrated and let him get back into shape. Worm him a few times also. I have taken in a few poor dogs and even some livestock before that were poor. It is a slow process. You may need to take your pets to a vet out side of town. A country vet is more reasonable in most cases. Some of those city vets are too proud of themselves.

5. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Should I let him eat as much as he wants at first or just give him 2 servings of 1.5 cups daily like I do with my female? Could you tell me which shots to buy at the feed store?

He is limping a little on his right rear leg. It has a little puncture wound in his thigh. Would this make a dog limp or is is more than likely more serious than that? Thanks again for the advice you have given so far.

6. Attila

Attila Guest

No not as much as he wants or can eat. that could lead to bloat. Just try 2 cups twice daily till he catches up. Over feeding wont do much and doesn't help anything. Slow and easy. I would do the 7 way shot first then in two weeks do the 8 way. I would suggest the rabies as soon as possible.

The puncture wound could cause the dog to limp but it is best to have it checked out for a more serious injury. ie. tore muscle or ligament, infection etc.

7. Suki

Suki Guest

NO, as William said, allow him to eat slowly, so that his system can be reintroduced to food. Adding weight should be a gradual process, and I would call a few more vets, to hopefully obtain some lower quotes. When I go in tomorrow, I'll ask one of the docs, (or all even) what they feel is imperrative to check, and what can (may) be able to wait. The stools are a cheap enough test to run, and can be read quickly, boosters here, run around 18.00, heartworm(snap test) around 30.00 and office visit/exam around 25.00.

I'll ask tho, if you'd like when I go in tomorrow. In the mean time, again, slowly allow him to eat small amounts. Good luck with him, and enjoy your "rescue" points! (well deserved!;) )

8. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

I'd let him eat all he wants for a couple of days. Wouldn't you want to eat alot if you were in his situation. He's gonna utilize everything he ingests. You can't treat him like your female who hasn't been through what he has. Different situations you take different measures. As for the shots I'd wait a week or two before giving them, if he hasn't contracted something while he was roaming freely he sure as hell isn't gonna catch something while at your place. His body is under alot of stress, his immune system might be supressed, he might have an infection, etc. Vaccines will do him more harm than good if he has any of these. Plus he might have already gotten his shots when he was a puppy. Shots aren't a big deal if he is over a year old. And if you are still unsure after reading all the shit we have all posted take him to the vet, which is what you should have done to begin with. The more you listen to people the more they will confuse you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  9. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I havent taken this dog home because I am afraid that if he is sick my female will get sick from him. I dont want to take any chances. I cant afford to get him to the vet till Friday, so I have to wait. He is getting fed and loved at my friends house till then. I also do not believe he is over a year, but I am not sure. I think around 9 mo to a year.

The people who have replied have been very helpful and I thank each of you very much including ChiaPit. I have yet to be confused so please keep them coming.

10. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

Good Luck!

11. mrsmickey351

mrsmickey351 Guest

Well I think you have been given some very good advice. Here is a little trick that will help your dog not only put on weight bot also if he has anemia. Boil him some beef livers let them cool and then let him have the livers and pour the juice over his dry feed. He will love it. He'll think it is a treat but it will actually be very nutritious for him.

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  13. Suki

Suki Guest

agreed, as stated before.
    also, just spoke to one of our vets, and he recommended obtaining a fecal, deworming meds and getting a rabies shot. These are things he would do first. After that, a CBC can be done to see if there are any underlying issues.
    Also, he recommended keeping that dog away from the others to help prevent the spread of anything you may not know he has to your other pets.
    hope this helps. Here, it would run you approx $25.00 for the fecal and $12.30 for the rabies.
    hope this helps.:)

14. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Thanks Suki. That is why I havent taken him home yet. I made an appointment with the vet ChiaPit helped me find for Friday. They have a pretty good price for the heart check, fecal, distemp, and rabies. What is a CBC? Thanks for all your help.

15. Suki

Suki Guest

blood test=complete blood count
    and you're MORE than welcome!:D

16. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

If he eats too much at one time though he will likely get sick. I have found with ematiated dogs that a smaller amount a few times throughout the day works better than letting them gorge themselves because usually they throw up after gorgeing themselves

17. he could look a little sad because his old owners left him. once his leg heals and he realizes he has better owners now it will prob look a lot happier