1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Health problems associated with "blue pits"

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 420puffer, Dec 29, 2005.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Re: Health problems associated with "blue pits"

We've discussed blues and such more times than I care to count in the past month even....lets keep this discussion about health problems associated with them and why. Thank you.

2. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

Ok apology accepted regarding the Slavery thing, I truly empathize with African Americans that have had to deal with stereotyping their whole life, and that is what I was really trying to get across.

Now since I do not know you personally I will not call you narrowminded, but the general idea is, people that cant accept what someone elses idea of an APBT. Not everyone has to believe that gameness and only gameness is the reason you breed these dogs, what if they ended up only having 3 legs or something crazy like they ended up getting cancer by 5yrs old. When you bring up the Blue APBT being the problem with the breed in general you are absolutely wrong... In fact the few news stories around here regarding mauling incidents were tan colored APBTs, you are trying to blame all the bad on Blue Pits, and that is ridiculous. You call these guys bluff breeder, and I can tell you really dont get it. I understand you wanting to keep the game trait, but that is not the only trait that there is and until you understand that it will be like talking to a wall. I really do not want to change the breed I think that has already happened, this breed has been evolving for over a 100yrs, but I do know for a fact that there are still game breeders out there and there are good Blue APBT breeders out there and that is a fact. Now let see who really comes across as being Narrow Minded me or you......I think you are going to eat your words when we have a Grand Champion Blue APBT...

I will agree with you regarding the BYB out there that is just looking for a quick buck they are truly hurting the Breed as a whole, these guys are usually drug dealing, gang member, irresponsible jerks, or just greedy priks, and yes unfortunately the Blue color happens to be their color of choice, but that doesnt make the Blue APBTs bad dogs just the retards that are breeding for this color alone, just to make a buck..that is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
  3. simms

simms CH Dog

I think my coworker would disagree with your statement as of last week....She got bit in the face by a "blue" . 7 months old and the 3rd time he had bitten a person ....No hope for this dog.

Was it from wrong type of ownership or bad breeding?

either way it's a bummer....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
  4. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

With the underlined statement, you have proved my point. You feel that the breed is evolving and that it is ok. The truth is, the breed is not evolving into overgrown monsters, there are just a load of dogs that are not APBTs that are carrying the name. Those dogs are not APBTs. The APBT name and reputation has been corrupted by breeders who breed for the wrong reasons and use the APBT name as a selling gimmick.
    The actual breed (the true APBTs that are being preserved according to the original purpose) has not made a turn for the worse. Although, the public's view as to what an APBT looks like and its reputation has changed for the worse. This is a result of people breeding crap and calling them "pit bulls".

Let me clarify something. I have no problem with blue dogs or big dogs. I have a problem with dogs that are bred for color, looks, size, and anything else that will not produce a litter that can benefit the breed.

Now back to the health issues as 14rock requested....

Sorry for the bickering folks.

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

OK, I gotta be really quick as I'm getting ready for work, so I apologze in advance should I seem short.

You say gameness is not the only trait of the APBT & this is true. But all the other positive traits the APBT has came about b/c breeders bred for gameness. Once you start losing gameness you will lose the other traits too.

As for a GR.CH. blue, so what? There's a 4xw who's blue who threw a 2xw & a 1xw. Don't hear about her or her kids do you? That's b/c box blues always have been & always will be a minority. B/c of the damage bluff breeders have done I doubt the blue APBT will ever be taken seriously, regardless of what title they win.

As for health problems in blues I know of:

auto-immune disorders (allergies, mange, etc.)
    hip/elbow dysplasia
    elongated solf palates
    heart valve problems
    cancer
    various conformation defects (underbites, cowhocked, east-westy, etc.)
    overall shorterened lifespan

Well, SSS but I G/G!

6. Re: Health problems associated with "blue pits"

that's a load of B.S.

7. Txbkennel

Txbkennel Big Dog

Why is this thread still open? i don't mean this in a rude way, but if game doggers are so annoyed and angered by "blues"/"bluffs", then why do you let the topic take up so much of your time? If as much effort was put into saving the APBT from being banned, that is put into talking about "bluffs", the entire breed could be saved in a hour! This question can best be answered by a GOOD breeder, that not ONLY deals with blues, but other colors and lines, is known for breeding and producing quality dogs, and has a wealth of knowledge on the breed and considered lines thereof. It's not about how long you've been dealing with dogs, it's what you've gotten out of it. You can breed crap for 25 years and it means nothing next to someone who has bred quality for 2 years. How well can you really answer a question with hearsay? You can read a book on space exploration or interview a NASA employee, but it doesn't make you an astronaut. The person must not be biased when it comes to APBT's or "Pit Bulls". You can't ask a Muslim if there are any restaurants with good bacon and eggs. He could tell you plenty about the eggs, but when it comes to the bacon, it will end up sounding like dog food because he doesn't like it, hasn't tasted it, or it is against his beliefs. Experience can be the whole difference in fact, opinion, and hearsay. Unless someone here has done a 100% head count on all the "blues", "bluffs", and "Pit Bulls", has some type of veterinary degree, and has tested all of them, then no one can call out a line or color in general and use words like "all" or "majority". I am not saying that the health problems mentioned are not associated with "blues" also, but what i am saying is that they are amplified by game doggers and left out when addressing more game oriented lines, sometimes making it look as if game APBT's are completely free of problems. A better question would have been what health problems are more common or exclusive to whatever particular line or yard of dogs, not just "blues" in general because there is more than one line containing blue dogs, some good, and some bad and that's with any line. No breed or line is exempt from health issues. Anybody who is breeding defective dogs will not stay in business long. Those purchasing dogs need even more education than those breeding. Even bad breeders know enough to get pups to survive. You can easily sell a dog to a know-nothing, but if you educate buyers, bad breeders will have no choice but to cull properly or go out of business. Blue is not a fad...it is new, yet permanent. The other colors said as fads, such as white and red, are not fads either, they are just prominent in other areas. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't so.

Respect is like a boomerang...If you throw it wrong, it falls at the person's feet and you don't get it back.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

Dead Game - Lifelessness from a courageous, dexterous, obstinate, spontaneous mode of action

I'ts a physical state...Not a traite that is bred for, unlike gameness

9. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Non one will be eating anything. Because if/when there is a gr ch pitdog that happens to be blue, it will be because he came from good game dogs. the blue color is a dilute color of black, and has pop'd up here & there in gamedog litters.

BUT, i can all but guarantee you that you wont be getting a gr ch pitdog from bluff breeders.

I myself do NOT like blue dogs (& not just blue, but big monstrous beasts of any color), because of what they have become, from BYB trying to make a buck.

Now, im not saying that they cant be good dogs, they can be great pets, and can be good UKC dogs, and pull dogs. What i think most of us are trying to say (& have stated), is that the bluff type dogs, have put the negative image on the original bulldog. Its not just the blue dogs, its all the other massive walrus's as well.
    Regardless of what you think, the bluff type dogs WILL have more health problems than others. When a dog is bred for a certain trait, MANY other things are over looked. This causes "re-jects" (im NOT saying all these dogs are rejects...), that have multiple problems.
    Think of the Shar-pei, bred solely for wrinkles- damn dogs have to have face lifts at 6 months old to see. The EB was bred for the wide squatty front end, and small backend only... the dogs would go extinct if it wasnt for us "lovely" humans getting them artificially inseminated, and them having c-sections they wouldnt be hear.
    Do you get my drift??

we are not (well most of us lol) saying that ALL of these dogs are bad. they can make wonderful pets/show dogs. what we are trying to get across is PLEASE dont breed for color/size, and for no purpos but for $$.
    And we are trying to EDUCATE people on what to be aware of when you buy one of these dogs. We are trying to help.

10. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

This is an excellent post people should really read it, there are no fingers being pointed here. Hats off Tx I really enjoy what you have to say, finally someone with something intelligent to write.

Now here is a example of a horrible post.

"Regardless of what you think, the bluff type dogs WILL have more health problems than others. When a dog is bred for a certain trait, MANY other things are over looked. This causes "re-jects" (im NOT saying all these dogs are rejects...), that have multiple problems.
    Think of the Shar-pei, bred solely for wrinkles- damn dogs have to have face lifts at 6 months old to see. The EB was bred for the wide squatty front end, and small backend only... the dogs would go extinct if it wasnt for us "lovely" humans getting them artificially inseminated, and them having c-sections they wouldnt be hear.
    Do you get my drift??"

Do you realize gameness is also a trait, and plenty of people made money breeding this, I dont think they overlooked a whole lot either. You do not see me complaining I like gameness, I also like Blue APBT who really cares what I like it really only makes me happy, so I guess I am just trying to say who cares what you like, if you dont like Blues dont let it get to you, Do you get my Drift.

11. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

In testing gameness historically, a dog that couldnt work because of health defects never made it that far boa. So in breeding for gameness they were also ensuring healthy dogs. Breeding for color or structure doesnt make the dog prove anyting other than it looks pretty, you wont see the bad hips, joints, etc until later on in life, and chances are by that age you've already peddled off all the pups! That is the diffrence between breeding for gameness and any other trait.

12. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Because its drama....

and a dog doesnt have to be game to win......

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Txb:

This thread is open b/c we want to educate ppl.

As for myself, I speak not on hearsay, I speak on personal experience. I have owned 4 bluffs. One had to be put down b/c she was a man-biter & two died of cancer, one at ahe 6 & one at age 4. I have personally known bluffs who had elongated soft palates, hip or elbow dysplasia or auto-immune disorders among other things. For me this is true stuff, personal experince, not hearsay.

And yes, gamedogs have problems too. But they pale in comaprison to the problems bluffs have. Bluffs have more defects & they are more frequent. Do the math yourself. Ask vets. You will find what I say is true. For 1 defective gamedog you will find 10 defective bluffs. but the sad thing is most defective gamedogs are culled, while most defective bluffs are bred! :(

As for defective breeders putting themselves out of business, not so. I personally know of 2 who have put out bad animals for almost 10 years now & ppl still buy from them b/c they're not educated & they're producing what the fad wants. The key is education. Maybe of more ppl spoke out against these bluffs ppl wouldn't buy them.

As for respect, I'm sure you know the Bible says "Respect to respect is due, honor to whom honor is due." Some ppl are due it ... while some ppl are not.

OK, wish I could talk more but work calls. Y'all have a blessed day & TGIF!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2006
  14. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

Ok, that makes sense, as far as people breeding these dogs cause they are going to make a buck, and yes I could see that happening, I agree that most game dog breeders will cull out the bad apples where as Blue APBT breeder will most likely keep the defects and breed the defective if the dog is a monster or even if his temperment is bad, that is really sad too. So now the big question how do I find a Blue game APBT, who knows maybe I have one!!!

15. Txbkennel

Txbkennel Big Dog

Boa1277- Thanx

ABK - I am glad that you have experience. I will listen to experience with a calmer ear. I have had 2 game dogs bite me and seen several others bite people, but it does not make me point fingers at a certain line or APBT's in general. I have not been biten by any "bluffs" strangers or owned by me, nor have I had any health problems, because I will cull if I have problems and I also keep correct dogs on my yard. Things like dysplasia and parvo are known diseases in APBT's, but bad breeders do make this worse. It is time to take action on specific breeders, not just the line of dogs. The dogs will not cull themselves. You are correct, these newer breeders are not culling properly or at all in some cases. It's not the line, it is the breeder. "Bluffs" do not need to be spoken out against, bad breeders do. Consumers need to be educated on how to choose a breeder, not just a dog and how to say no. No one can make you buy a dog with a defect, not even if they say, "well hey, since he has an overbite, I'll give you a better deal." And as far as my comment of "Why is this thread still open?", that was for several posts earlier that said that they were tired of answering question on this topic, yet they were the main ones replying to them...

16. simms

simms CH Dog

Parvo, is a virus.

17. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Txb:

I agree it's about the breeder, not the dog. The dogs were created by ppl & can't help what they are. Like I said before, education is the key & if more ppl were educated about bluffs, sales would drop, hopefully putting these bad breeders out of business.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experince. But it must be remembered that any dog can bite. Heck, a 2 y/o bluff I raised from a 6 week old pup not only bit the fire out of me, but came back for a second bite! I've also seen a bluff run across an acre yard to bite someone.

So we've established both types can bite. But how many gamedogs to do see suffering from cancer, heart valve problems, auto-immune disorders & dysplasia? Very few. How many bluffs do you see that are either affected or throwing these disorders? Many.

You say you haven't had any problems yet. That's great. But I must ask - how old are your dogs? Have you even done any health testing yet?

I dunno. I have had the experience of having to put 3 beloved dogs down b/c of genetic defects. I can't see breeding dogs who will produce nothing but heartache in the end when you can stick w/ dogs of healthy, proper type.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2006