1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Health problems associated with "blue pits"

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 420puffer, Dec 29, 2005.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

Re: Health problems associated with "blue pits"

I know what ya meant...:)

2. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

You obviously have no clue as to how difficult it is to successfully acquire gameness within a line of dogs. To acquire this trait consistently you must dedicate everything you have and breed for that trait. Gameness is extremely rare and it is extremely difficult to develop a line that consistently exhibits this trait, even if gameness is the prime goal of every breeding. You will never acquire that trait consistently if you have other traits that you are breeding for at the same time, such as color.
    A dog that is bred to be 80 lbs and blue has lost all possibility of producing consistently game dogs when the breeder lost sight of what is truly important. Gameness can be lost in a single generation if it is not bred for that trait.

You can cull all of the health problems, genetic flaws, etc. out of bluff bred dogs but that will not make them game. It is too late for those dogs. They have been bred for the wrong reasons for too long and gameness is long gone. There may be exceptions (I doubt it) but as far as producing game dogs, it will never ever happen from a line is bred to consistently produce 100 lb blue bluffs instead of consistently game dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  3. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

Well time will tell, and since you are not God we will all have to wait and see. I understand more than you think when it comes to breeding for a specific trait, and you are sadly mistaken if you think the gameness cannot resurface sometimes 3 and 4 generations later...Remember not all dogs were created game, it was a trait that was developed and nurtured...

I like how you emphasize truly important, true gameness is probably the most sought after trait, but again that is just your opinion, I am sure some breeders feel there are other traits that are Truly Important. Remember the APBT is a rather diverse breed and I know there is alot of people who cannot stand the fact everyone has their own idea of what the breed is, there are people that feel if the dog isnt under 60lbs and will try and kill any other animal onsight it is not a APBT, This person also feels that anyone else that trys to claim they have a APBT is a loser, drug dealer, gang banger, showoff, etc,etc. I think anyone that narrow minded should be put in the same crowd as the PETA Jerks, or the BSL litigators, or how about the Religous Zealots in the middle east. It sure does suck to be categorized by anyone, ask the African Americans that have lived with this for years...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  4. Re: Health problems associated with "blue pits"

I have blood in my yard from a dog who CONSISTANTLY threw 70-80 GAME dogs. No, im not talkin blue, but dont be hatin on big dogs. :)

5. Suki

Suki Guest

Ironic, that, what brings us all together, is what also divides us.....

interesting post:)

6. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

I have not jumped on any I HATE BLUE PIT bandwagon. I have a blue pit. Id choose to call him a blue pit. But I have referred him as a bandog on this site only because I am not on this site to debate whether or not BLUT PITS are pure blooded APBT. I have had a close to game dog when I was growing up. He was about 50 pounds. All Pits that Ive known were about his weight. I dont know anything about breeding, but from what Ive read-Blue color does occur in APBT, but not often. I am here to learn everything I can about Blue PIts because as I mentioned in other threads, I never heard of Blue Pits 6-7 years ago and concerned about the health of my blue pit

7. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

I agree with you whole heartedly, I feel everyone, I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I truly love the breed as a whole not just a part of the breed that I happen to have. I like the game dogs, the Blue dogs the Am Staffs etc,etc. The only dogs I have a problem with are the dogs that the owners ruined, or they just happen to be bad dogs...

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Hey, no one specifically hates any type of dog simply for what they are! If these dogs were called by a new appropriate name all would be happy, except those who only want to walk down the street and tell them their 120 lb. dog with a chain around its neck is a "pit". You cant blame dogs for bad owners, and bad breeding practices. Most everyones problem with bluffs comes from them being called "pits" when they have deviated so much from the breed standard (and this is assuming they are pure bred), that they are *often* not tested thoroughly enough to see problems which are then bred in gen after gen. It is just that bad breeders flock to blue "pits" like stink on fart! In short, if the dogs were called a new name, not extremely overdone and deformed (2 foot wide chests, bowed elbows reaching 90 degrees,etc etc) and could retain the special tempermant of the dogs its descended from....I'd give them the credit their owners claim they should receive.

9. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

bluffs are commonly for blue pits maybe we should make a new name for the breed

10. WWII

WWII Banned

That is the beginning of an AmStaff line. It's exactly how they were originally created.

And on the topic of hating blues...I do not. My pup Trajan is blue. Is he a mix? I honestly don't know. He's ADBA papered as an APBT. But, I never registered him and got a ped for him to see his lineage. Why? Don't need to. He's never gonna be bred so it doesn't really matter. He's a great dog and I don't need bloodlines to prove it.

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

No so. Blue is quite common. to the verge even of being an every day color.

12. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Well I know BLUE is very common now because of all the poor breeders, but I was referring to what I ve read on this site.

13. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Trust me, I ve had dogs as pets my whole life. I am not one to be confused with extreme playfulness as aggression.

14. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Blue is extremely common now in this breed now days if you believe bluffs are APBT......however, they are quite rare when not breeding for it (i.e. breeding for gameness).

15. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

[​IMG]

Here is my pup at 7 months. Call him what ever you guys want. He is a great dog.

16. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Yeah, gameness can appear 3 or 4 generations later. However, it is extremely unlikely because that trait was not being sought after and lets not fool ourselves, a breeder that is breeding for looks won't recognize a game dog if it slapped them in their face. Obviously they don't care for game. If they did, they wouldn't be breeding for looks.

Gameness is the trait that this breed was developed for. It is the prime goal of true APBT breeders. If you are breeding for looks instead of working ability, you are not breeding a poor specimen. Like it or not, it is what the breed was developed for. It is the truth.
    You call me narrow minded because I won't stoop down and think it is ok to ruin a breed like you do? I am narrow minded because I feel that you should preserve the breed? That makes alot of sense...:rolleyes:

Another thing, never compare "narrow mindness" towards a type of dog to slavery. That is VERY disrespectful.
    You compare my "narrow mindness" to slavery and say that I should be grouped together with PETA? Didn't PETA use the topic of slavery to push their agend not too long ago?
    It doesn't look like I am the one who should be compared to PETA.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
  17. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I am not hating on big dogs. I am hating on breeders who breed for big dogs. Did you breed those dogs to be large? I truly doubt it if they were actually game. There is nothing wrong with big dogs if they are bred for the right reasons.

18. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

I agree a breeder that is going for looks would not know a game dog if it slapped him in the face, the question is would you???

You are a joke to even compare my comment to Slavery, it sounds like you are looking for some help, you need other people to jump on your bandwagon. Where did I once mention Slavery, Narrow mindness is to me someone who only feels their way is the only way. That type of person feels they are right and everyone else is wrong. It is people who get something in their head and are not open to anything else. EX. (All pitbulls are killers and are only used for fighting.) I hate to say it but the Breeders who are breeding for color are doing more for the breed than the Breeders who are only breeding for gameness, when it comes to getting people to change their views on the Breed as a whole. Now I might not agree with just breeding for a color, but that is besides the point, The Humane Society is not stupid, they realize this type of Breeder is not rolling their animals, which in turn takes alot of heat off the Breed as a whole.. Look past the this is a true APBT arguement and try to see the big picture. There will always be breeders who breed just for gameness and hopefully there will always be breeders who breed for color, the more people breeding APBT the better. The true test comes when you really want to find a dog breeder that is breeding game dogs.

P.S. It is nice to know you equate African American with Slavery, it sounds like you need to get your head out of the gutter.

19. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

That is a great looking dog. Good for you!!!

20. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I apologize, I don't know where I assumed you were talking about slavery when you were talking about African Americans. Nearly every single one of my friends while growing up and to this day are black. I jumped to a conclusion.
    Anyways, you brought up African Americans and compared them to a situation concerning dogs. Which is still bullshit either way you cut it. Therefore, I still think that you are being very disrespectful.

Also, if you actually think that bluff breeders are doing more for the breed than thosed that are preserving the breed you are sadly mistaken. Look what color and size of dogs are frequenting the newspaper ads, the internet ads, the recent attacks on people, the shelters, and on and on. The majority are bluffs. Yet, you say that they are doing more for the betterment of the breed? Yeah right....

The humane society is not attacking the real problem, irresponsible breeders. Instead, they kill innocent animals that posed no threat because they were "fighting dogs". At the same time, their shelters are filled with BYB crap.

Again, you bring up narrowmindedness. Tell me how a person that desires that the breed remain as it is supposed to be is narrowminded? I am narrowminded because I do not want this breed to be ruined more than it already is?
    So are you openminded because you feel that these dogs should be bred to whatever whim the breeder desires?
    That is what I call closeminded. You are calling me narrowminded because I want to do good and you are openminded because you want to destroy what took hundreds of years to build.

This is a common arguement with people who want to change the breed. It happens all the time on this forum. Some person that couldn't care less about preserving the breed comes on here and calls everyone closeminded that doesn't share their belief that this breed is "diverse" and is evolving. (irony?) Therefore, it is ok to change it to whatever desire that they see fit. This is a large factor in the downfall of this breed.