1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Health problems associated with "blue pits"

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 420puffer, Dec 29, 2005.

1. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Health problems associated with "blue pits"

Hi I am new here (obviously). I have a 7month old "Blue pit" . My pit is very healthy so far. I would like to know what health problems are associated with this breed.

2. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

Re: Health problems associated with "blue pits"

with this breed there are few health problems very few that im aware of now with your "blue" dog depending on the blood line and how its conformation is you may run into joint problems.

3. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Thanks for the reply. Another question: Do you guys consider Staffordshire Bull Terrier a pure breed? I have seen Blue Staff Bulls and that is why I am asking

4. americandream

americandream Top Dog

blues bred right are hard to find. most just breed blues for size, so who knows what bloodline is it?

as for SBT's they are pure. just make sure its regestered.

5. Wayne

Wayne Big Dog

The few Blues i`ve seen have had skin problems.Some alergic to grass.I`ve seen a few that have got cancer before Five years old,and other than very few game blues there pritty good dogs.

6. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Thanks for the replies guys. The odd thing is, that I have never heard of "Blue pit bulls" until 4-5 years ago. I am just trying to obtain as much information as possible and not trying to start a controversial issue about whether or not "Blue" is pure APBT. Maybe they are bred to be bigger? But referring the the term "Game", I guess it is when a APBT shows no fear or what not. But my blue pit has a great temperment and I love that about him. Please keep the replies coming. Thanks

7. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Blue is a color. American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed. Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a seperate breed. The most common "blue pits" today are mixed dogs bred for color, size and other stupid reasons.

Gameness is an unyielding spirit. Never stop or quit at what they're doing no matter what obstacles or injuries they may face.

8. Re: Health problems associated with "blue pits"

"blue" dogs carry alot of skin problems associated with them, mostly from how they are bred. the color "blue" is a dilute of black...you can do a search on this forum and get ALOT more indepth (genetics, alelles, etc). but basically...consider "blue" to be a genetic DEFECT in the APBT. when people get together and start breeding "blue" to "blue", with no regards to health, stability, or bloodline integrity...more and more health problems arise from breeding two "defected" dogs. you'll see more cases of Demodex, Scabies, basic Staff Infections, hot spots, Alergies, and overall "sensitive" skin. your dog might get little bumps down his side after laying in the grass for a few minutes...it'll go away within a day, but its an indicator of possibly underlying problems. and just cuz YOURs doesn't have problems, doesn't mean his offspring wont. you can breed a female to one stud, and the entire litter can come down with Demo....breed her to a different male of opposing bloodlines, and the entire litter will be healthy and happy. its all genetics, and that's why you'll see alot of people on this GAME forum frown upon "blues" as a whole...not bashing their owners...but not liking the practices that go into "creating" these dogs. take their advice as constructive criticism...even if it may seem harsh at first. I, myself, dont have any "blues" but have a few dogs bred from "blues." my wife happens to like the AmStaff "look" better...and well, i'm a sucker when it comes to her :) welcome...goodluck with your dog...and stay here with an open mind.

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

The reason you didnt start hearing about "blues" until 4-5 years ago is most likely attributed to the fact that, they werent the big fad then. Now everyone and their brother looking to make a buck wants a blue dog to stud and sell pups without any care given to breed standard.

And regarding health issues. Its not per say the blue color that gives health problems. The health problems common in blue dogs are a result of poor breeding practices and not testing your stock before its bred, and not hanging on to enough of your stock afterwords to cull problems or even recognize them. Again, its not a problem because they are blue, the problems come from people exploiting blue dogs.

As to some of the health problems common in bigger blue dogs that differ from the majority of working gamebred stock is

Hip Dysplasia
    Skin disorders (irritation, problematic reoccuring allergies,etc)
    Blindness and Deafness although this is still more common in white dogs.

I'm sure others can elaborate more. I choose not to deal with blue dogs so these are only the more common ones I've seen with my limited experience.

10. americandream

americandream Top Dog

like i said the color "blue" in a American Pit Bull Terrier is hard to find WITH proper breeding, but if you look around on this site you will find some beautiful blue colored APBT'S bred right.

what bloodline is it????? post some pics better yet......

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Firstly, as previously mentioned, blue is not breed, it's a color.

That being said, here are a few health problems that I know run in blue bloodlines:

Auto-Immune Disorders - This results in things like increased possibilites of mange as well as increased likelyhood of contact allergies, usually to grass.

Color Dilution Alopecia - This is a skin disease directly connected to the dilute allele. The dilute allele is what creates blues. CDA is so connected to blues it is often caled Blue Dog Alopecia, Blue Balding Disease or Blue Dog Syndrome. In some breeds up to 90% of blues are affected w/ CDA.

Cancer - This is in many blue lines. A dog in many blue peds, Blue Bubba, died at age 7 of cancer. I myself have a blue bitch that died at age 4 from cancer. Her mother, a blue bred red died at age 6 from cancer. It is sad, but many blue dogs only live to be 10 years of age or less.

Chrondodysplasia - This is a form of dwarfism & may be the cause of those ever so coveted short-legged, crook-kneed dogs w/ normal sized bodies.

Elbow Dysplasia

Elongated Soft Palate - An oral defect that causes breathing problems

Heart Valve Problems

Hip Dysplasia

Overall poor conformation - barrel chests, slab sides, heads too big, necks too short, muzzles too pugged, excessive flew, too much wrinkle, easty-westy, cow hocks & pigeon toes are frequent in blues.

Well, that's about it in a nutshell.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2005
  12. TXGal

TXGal Pup

We were told our pup is a fawn bluey...he is fawn w/ a bluish line down his back...not dark or defined...just there. Could this be a result of the gene and risk Color Dilution Alopecia

13. WWII

WWII Banned

Mostly blues will have skin problems. Mine has dry skin and I just now noticed to bald spots on his paw. I don't know if it's from rubbing something or what.

14. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Your dog is red.:D

15. WWII

WWII Banned

That's what I was thinking.

16. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

Blues do seem to have alot of skin problems
    Especially when bred blue to blue

17. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

I own 3 blues. Never had any skin problems. Because of their weight, hip problems do surface. Try & keep down the weight of your dog, that way you shouldn't have so many problems.

18. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

Not all have them but some do.

19. Re: Health problems associated with "blue pits"

This is one of my females (5 weeks & 7.5 months in pics), who was registered by her breeder as "fawn bluie." She, obviously, is nothing close to blue. The fawn is her light shade of red, which in the summer time is really light colored (winter looks RED) The "Bluie" as registered with ADBA, just describes the black hairs on the underside of her chin, neck, lips. I wish I could find a better pic of her...one with her head held up...but this will have to do. "Bluie" doesn't mean the dog is "blue."

Attached Files:

20. krys

krys Pup

This was one of my questions when i joined this site but I didnt want to start a debate. I have an 8 month old Blue Brindle that out of all 3 of my dogs is the best health wise. My dobie is blue with skin issues and my boxer is regular brindle with skin issues. I also did my research and my breeder was reffered to us by my vet of many years. Also the breeders wasnt looking to make a quick buck either he was breeding for temperment and quality.