1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

hand walking

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by wheezie, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

walking is probably the best exercise for the dogs, really cuts the inner fat.
    we walk dogs up to 3 hours when being conditioned i also use a weight collar to strengthen the front end and a vest to strengthen the core but you can ruin a dog quickly if you dont know what your doing.
    sprints and walking uphill are also natural conditioners that have worked for me

2. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

they are currently working for me as well.

3. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

careful with the vest make it is not so long on the side the dog can bump its front elbows on it... take into account room for the front legs compressing and elbows being able to get up much higher on the dog side or they could end up with a couple of serious hygroma. i speak from experience!!! imop you gotta do multiple things if you really want a well rounded dog. yes you can get a dog looking in shape just walking and give it a fair amount of fitness. however if you are not pushing the dog continually past its cardio limits it is making no gains so at some point you gotta increase your pace and end up in a full run. i thing a carpet mill/flirt pole and spring pole are nec to build muscles running goes not.

4. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

BONDING WITH UR DOG is what makes it so important!U n ur dog both work together n i believe when it comes time fr him to work fr u he or she will put that much more into it.

5. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Dog loves the bike, hand walking gets a bit boring for him but he will work for a good 20 miles on a bike.

6. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

wow thats a good bike ride for a dog!!! how long does that take you.. just trying to figure what kinda pace a dog goes naturally?

7. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

LMAO sorry its 20 KM not miles & I would say maybe around 40 min.

8. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

ow ok i was a pro cyclist for years and still run with my dogs... was gonna say that would be a dam long run for a dog even on a bike. still thats a dam good run for a dog a dec ride for a regular person just looking to give the dogs a run. i love hearing people spending that kinda time with there dogs on the regular.

9. pitbullkid86

pitbullkid86 Big Dog

[​IMG]

That is solely hand walking. Not 3 hrs either, and a combination of a healthy raw diet.

10. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

Mr. Brownstone ever tried this?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvSbVs4nEq4[/ame]

11. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

no kinda funny considering what i did for a living for many years i dont even own a bike anymore. i gotta get a junker for the just this purpose though. tried a skateboard but i waited till my dog was a year old and the noise scared her!

12. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

that is a dam good looking dog.. some dogs have awesome jeans and it dont take much to make em look like they work all day. i want one of those dogs someday and to work it 2-3 hours like i do my dogs now!!

13. pitbullkid86

pitbullkid86 Big Dog

I prefer Levi's. Both parents are great workers. As far as genes, I'm not sure considering PP keeps his hounds in decent shape year-round. He walks about an hour a day, everyday and thats just routine.

14. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

those look like sweats lol ;) you will catch a alotta shit like that with me.. pp?

15. Zduwach

Zduwach Pup

If I can remember correctly old Fletcher Chavis has used this method in conditioning dogs!

16. easyboss

easyboss Big Dog

Hand walking is a fantastic way to expel excess energy and build up the muscles.
    My dog pulls like a bitch (excuse the pun) she a dead ahead type of dog, whether
    she's walking, side by side biking, or attached with a harness to the handle bars,
    she's just raring to go.

I have a back road rural area where there's a stretch of about 30 miles, good thing
    is there's no hills. I'll attach her to her walky dog device, bike for 2 to 3 miles,
    then flirt pole for 10, walk her for 10, then repeat, I do this every third day.
    In addition , she gets around 5 miles daily walks. She looks nice and strong.
    I use orijin for her feed.

17. stratos9

stratos9 Banned

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=black align=center><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#e9e9e9>BB URL IMG CODE:</TD><TD bgColor=#f1f1f1>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Handwalking, flirt, and mostly raw, (Wed. Sun. he gets Pro Plan) I feel like they need a little to break up the straight raw, what purina has spent millions on nutrition JMO. I usually starty mine at 13- 14 months and by the time 3-4 months has gone by then, he is mostly developed and now you got a good idea what his weight would be with all that puppy fat off. And like JamesT said good bonding with you and your NEIGHBORS to see they are not all bad.

18. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

I agree with this.
    I love walking Bransen.... except this time of year!

19. madboy

madboy Big Dog

Raw diet sure makes a HUGE difference,and l only do the regular 30 minutes walks for now,but it's mostly about genes.

20. 3596

3596 Pup

i have noticed,that a 40-60min walk with a couple of hills involved,contributes good strength & cardio conditioning.every dog should get this,at least 4-5x a week.my own dogs, all under a year old, are alot more robust & alert than most dogs there own age.as the cells throughout the body are more active,because of this exercise.& most important! the dogs enjoy it.especially the young ones.:)