1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

guard dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by texas_dogger, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Difference between Guard dog and Protection dog but all purpose working dog that you can shape into either sport or protection and has the highest % of succeeding, hands down lol, either
    Dutch Shepherd
    Belgian Malinois
    German Shepherd
    OR
    A mix of any of these 3.

American Bulldogs

Shepherds would be first, American Bulldog(Performance) would be right behind em.

Nothing there after. A good site to find out this information is Working Dog Forum -- Discussion of Working Dogs, Training & Breeding

2. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

People need to chill on the whole head structure and bite ability. I'm pretty sure it will stop an intruder. If you fight with knives I don't think you need the biggest knife to win. Yall are talling like bully folk big head big bite big power big rubbish get the dog that wants to stop a person and it will.

3. Pit Bulls I believe anyways if they use their full mouth using there molers, they absolutely have 2-6x the bone crushing power as any shepherd dependent on size.

4. kayo45

kayo45 Top Dog

Each dog is different, a dog bites hard because it wants too

5. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

My point exactly APBT don't have the strongest jaw they have a strong mindset. So if you want a guard dog get a dog that has crazy drive and don't want anything in it's yard. If you want the biggest head due to some pressure of some spot regulated by some angle in its skull get a bully.

6. Padlock

Padlock Banned

"I GOT TWO ROCKWILDERS BY MY BED...I FEED EM LEAD."
    quote from the rap star, 'toobsock'

7. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

A dog indeed bites hard because it wants to...but given two dogs that both want to give it all they have, the one that bites the hardest will be the one with a skull and muscle mass and angle that is designed for maximum efficiency... like that of the tasmanian devil. That said, skull and muscle means NOTHING if a dog doesn't have the drive (the want to).

8. Gxkon

Gxkon Big Dog

what i like about dobies is that some wont let a person breakin in to your yard know they are there until they done bit them in the ass i had one when i was 18 and a few of my friends got bit because she was outside and they were coming over when they wasn't suppost to. all of them said they didnt hear her or see her till she was on them. she was like a ninja assassin

9. BLU3BR1NDLE

BLU3BR1NDLE Big Dog

German Shepherd Dog. Hands down best Guard Dog out there.

[​IMG]

10. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

Personally, if I was going to use a herder, I would go with the dutch shepherd. That said, I prefer the Swinford over a herder when it comes to family guard dogs do to the Swinford's high fight drives, high prey and defense...but low rank drive, as this produces a dog more suitable around family and less prone to challenge others within their human "pack." (Quotes around "pack" for a reason.) Very loyal mindset that has a natural respect for its "family."

11. Blanco

Blanco Big Dog

The things you say Lee, I agree with 100%.. Just what the things I would want to have in a guard dog..
    Been around a couple of guarding breeds but every one has had something I did not like.. To human aggressiv, to rank drive(american bulldogs) etc...

12. venom

venom Top Dog

If you got some acres you obviously dont live in the city...
    keep the dogs to yourself, dont bring no1 to your property and you'll be good.
    You'll save on feed, dog shit, and everything else...

takes a certain type to steal a dog, the kind we admire at that.
    dont put yourself out there and i gaurentee them types wont stumble onto your 5 acres or w/e u said u live on.

13. Poisoned

Poisoned Big Dog

I suggest a mutt, honestly.. I've had GSDs all my life and it depends on the individual dog. The one I have now will tear anything up that comes in the yard, but I had a bitch in the past who would bark but turn into a mushy sweetheart with any stranger who walked in.. Also, Rotties/Akitas can turn DA once they mature.

Whatever you do, get a SMART dog, who can learn not to mess with the bulldogs. That wouldn't be good at all...

I've heard nothing but good stuff from those who use dobies though.

14. venom

venom Top Dog

Why would u suggest a dog of unknown background? Chances are you're gonna waste good money on feed and everything else for a dog that wasnt bred to do shit lol

15. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Donovan Pinscher for sure. I would not have any other breed to to the job of guarding or protecting. They can do both.

16. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

Malinois are the best out there.. They have the drive of a bulldog but you have to be a strong person because they will break a weak mind.. If you just want a dog that will bark and possibly bite go get a Rottie.. If he barks, his size alone will deter people away and you will hear him long before anybody is able to get into your yard to steal anything.. My favorite dogs to train as I do some Schutzhund work now is American Bulldogs.. They have the size of Corso but the speed and agility of Pitbulls.. (actually pitbulls are my favorite but i refuse to train one to attack because the breed has enough heat) but far as the work and spending time breaking one down, give me a malinois..

17. Dutch trained malinois' and crossbred malinois x dutch sheppard or german sheppard are sold all over the world for protection tasks.

enjoy [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m9R8Uh2GFg[/ame]

Pernonally I like Central Asian Ovcharka's

kind regards

18. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I'll stick with my boerboels.... :)

Getting a new pup this spring... :D

19. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

Each to their own, I'v only been around AB, Neo and Rotti's....Finding a good Neo is like Rocking horse shit, the same goes for the Rots and my Ab is just a pup. So for now I'll stick with my Jack Russells...the amount of noise they make at the noise of a mouse fart wakes me and my baseball bat up at any hour!!!:D

20. Poisoned

Poisoned Big Dog

Because the absolute smartest and best guard animal I've owned was a GSD/St. Bern/Dobie mix. That dog was amazing.

It's a crapshoot with any dog. As I said, my last GSD bitch would help people in the house, my other two would kill them given the chance. Friend has dobies, one walks off barking with it's nub tucked while the other comes charging to defend it's yard