1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

got a baby on the way,,,lookin for a good muzzle..

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by whiteyransom, Oct 25, 2005.

1. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

okay,, i got a lil girl on the way. dec. 6th!!! for the times my dog is around the baby, i want a muzzle that cover's her entire mouth,, but leaves the nasal passage open. i know to take all the precautions in the world when dealing with situations like this,,,,,,thus the question. i'm just wanting to be safer than the least bit sorry. i've been working with her alot as far as baby noises and having a crying, laughing baby doll around thatme and my girl both treat as a real baby would be treated, just trying to adjust her to the idea. she's still in that puppy hyper activity stage where she's balls-to-th-wall 95% of the time. so anyways, any ideas, help, or suggestions appreciated greatly! whitey

2. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

Congrats!!

I like your better to be safe than sorry attitude, as that is always the best course of action---however, I would focus on training your dog with the baby, rather than putting a temporary band-aid on the situation. Muzzling your dog does not teach it how to behave around a baby.

When a new baby comes into the home, dogs (and other animals), often feel pushed aside, and muzzling your dog around the baby may only add to that problem---thereby instigating a problem the day it is not muzzled---rather than preventing one.

I would not muzzle the dog. I would very closely supervise it, train it, and make sure the dog is never alone with the baby.

Good luck and above all---ENJOY!!!

(p.s.---yes I have pitbulls and kids) ; )

3. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

unless your dog just walks up and bites things a muzzle is just going to confuse your dog as to why it has to wear one of these around the new fam. the biggest thing to watch is that the dog doesnt step on or scratch your new sweet heart. they are usually gentle but those paws land in the wrong place. but its your dog and you may no better. check out some of the photos on here they should help with a muzzle choice though you may consider just using training instead and a little precaution. your dog can't be muzzled all the time.

4. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  5. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

You'd be surprised how well these dogs act around babies. Just as long as you dog is in the room with the baby teach him not to jump on the furniture and to stay calm. If you put your baby on the floor make the dog leave the room until the baby and the dog are able to understand boundaries. I know how it is, I have 2 pups and a 6 month old and a almost 3 year old. Kids and dogs can be tricky sometimes.

6. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

lol, kids CAN be tricky with dogs---and it's usually the kid that's hard to train, not the dog, lol . . .

7. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

i have had my dogs around kids of all ages and no problems. and my poor napoleon even has a scar on his ear from where a lil monster (kid) bit him. i'd say kids are harder to train than dogs.

8. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I'd say you are 100% right...LOL

9. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

yep and the sad thing is i have no kids at all. lol

10. Marty

Marty Guest

whiteyransom I don't know if you have seen this buy check it out.....
    http://www.game-dog.com/forums/article.php?a=96
    And congrads on the new baby coming ;)

11. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

okay,, i got a lil girl on the way. dec. 6th!!!
    Congratulations!

for the times my dog is around the baby, i want a muzzle that cover's her entire mouth
    If you are that worried about your dog and its interaction with you child, GET RID OF DOG!

12. jmg

jmg Big Dog

i valued your response on my last post, hopefully i can help you with this topic. First of all congrat's. i agree with everyone else's response, but in addition to i would try bringing the blanket that your new bor n is wrapped in , or something that has the babies scent on it home so the dog can smell the babies scent. i dont think that the muzzle is necessary, but you know your own dog the best.good luck

Attached Files:

13. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

you dont want your dog to resent the baby because "everytime that kid is around I get this shoved on my mouth."

14. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Top Dog

sorry

I just realized that post was no help at all so I just deleted it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  15. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Dog's Are Not Jealous!!!

16. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

They arent jealous, but they do react when their schedule is changed...
    Example, if you were spending nite and day with your dog, then all of a sudden stop, your dog is confused.. then the dog may act out, not out of jealousy or any other "human" emotions but because the dog is now unsure of its role in the pack..

Start adjusting your dog to the changes NOW.. and no, I wouldnt shove a muzzle on the dog. He very well associate baby with bad and thats what you dont want.

For every action there is a reaction and in the dog's world, this is also true. With a baby comes less time wiht your dog..ie exercise, being around.. and again, its not jealousy but a change in the pack mentality

17. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

Good post! ;)

18. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

first, thanks to each and all responses! after reading over the original thread, i can see where it looks as if i may have fear my dog could be aggressive toward the baby. which isn't really true. i was just thinking of certain times when i would want the dog muzzled .ie. if the baby and i were in the floor and the dog was loose and wanting to play or something. i know that the process meeds and willl takelots of time. i'm trying to start now. as i've slowly been trying to do over the last few months. i'm not afraid of her biting the baby out of aggression. i was just worried about a play-nip if the baby reached out or something. there's so much that's gonna change for the dog, as well as the whole house. i'm moving back to the country. she's used to it being all her all the time. she's been an inside dog almost all her life. because we live on the city in apartments. she'll soon be an outside/insde dog. both good and bad for her. alot more exercise and play, but she's used to being inside most of the day...etc. i have a feeling all will be fine,,i'm just getttin the jitters. that and i got every other family member that doesn't know jack about the breed yappin about the "evil" pitbulls and what they've heard of them doing and all that bs. i've read up on pits and kids, and they (as mentioned) usually accept the baby as part of the "pack" and protect it accordingly. but i was just thinking ahead for some times. but i was also thinkin about it, and she might take the muzzle the wrong way if it went on every time a certain time came along and it could aggitate her more at those imes. i didn't have any thoughts of muzzling her ALL the time! but thanks for the help! and info and thanks for the article MARTY!! missed that one! take it easy all.

19. Jennifer&Will

Jennifer&Will Big Dog

When My Son Was Born, We Put Leo On A Leash For The Initial Introduction And After A Few Hours Of Testing His Demeanor, Everything Was Cool. Try That =)

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I thought I should try this to with the dogs and the neice and nephew just to keep them calm and make sure they didnt jump all over the kids to play. Turns out the neice is the one who should of been on a leash! Not to mention wear a muzzle and duct tape her hands together. LOL These dogs have been riden like ponies so many times as soon as I turn my back its not even funny. Shes not allowed them anymore merely because I dont want HER to hurt THE DOG!