1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

goodwinol ointment or nu stock

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by meno222, May 11, 2007.

1. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

are these over the counter products, do they sell them in the feedstores or do i have to go through a vet. to get them,my nine month old pup has one spot in his face where he lost hair,and i belive is localized(red) mange. and i would like to try one of this products before i take him to the vet.just wanted to khow where you guys get your products. thanks

2. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Don't know about the Goodwinol but I've bought the NuStock. We buy it at the co-op/feedstore here in Ontario.

3. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Isn't Nu Stock supposed to make the hair grow back? If I put it on a bad scar my dog has will it grow the hair back? I have a dog that came to me with scars and I am always worried that people will think I fight my dogs ( I know I have blues but to JQP a "pit bull" is a "pit bull")

4. NuStock is sold without a prescription and will treat many things including Mange and ringworm. It sells for about $11-14 and bottle should last you a very long time.

Google and you shall find (sorry, i do not have my links at the moment).

It is so advertized but do not think it does the trick for scars.....specially old scars. I tried it on my dog's old scars and NADA......go ahead and try it if you wish. I am just giving you my personal experience with it. It is a great thing to have around for other occasions.

5. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

The goodwin oil comes from the vet and in my opinion does not work as well as the Nu Stock. I have used both. I get the Nu Stock at the feed store and it last a long time. Good luck with the dog.

6. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

I bought Nu-stock online at thier website. There is a page that will locate the closest dealer. With gas $3.50 per gallon I was happy to pay S&H, the closest dealer to me was over an hour away.

7. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

well like rockys human said it is pretty advanced so it more than likely will not work.but i do have a home made remedey that you have about a 60/40 chance of growing some hair back if you apply it.don't know if you would be interested in that or not.

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

out of the 2 i would go with nu stock.i bet when you try it you will see some results.

9. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

does nu stock actually cures the mange or does it just makes the hair grow back,iam on a very tight budget, so i want to try this before the vet visit, and tahnks to all who replied.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

My recommendation is get a skin scrape done, and first determine it is in fact, red mange. We made the mistake of treating one with AB's, Ivermectin, and Nu-stock as well as some special dips, and she kept getting worse. Eventually, she was taken to the vet, and we were told it is a fungus that grows in wet straw that had infected her. The vet took one look at her and said it's either "xxxxxxxx" or "mange", we will know in 5 minutes. Quick skin scrape, and she was on the road to recovery a week later, when we had wasted maybe a month and a half, and just as much money trying to treat her, to no avail.

Skin scrapes are cheap, and quick. Then, you will know exactly what you are dealing with, as far as I know Nu-stock only works on "Red" mange.

And yes, it does make hair grow back, if used correctly (immediately, and frequently). Alot of people like to be cheap with it, and it doesn't work. As RH already said, waiting too long will not produce results either.

It's available by prescription from nearly every livestock supplier, although I couldn't find it locally (only nitrofurazone). Most vet suppliers sell it (Jeffers, KV, etc), I've seen it on google shopping, as well as ebay. It's labeled for I believe cattle and horses.

11. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

now that Nirtrofurazone is one of the main ingridents in the home made remedy i use.good stuff if you ask me.

12. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Just a quick comment on the Nitrofurazone. Nitrofurazone has been known to cause breast cancer in lab rats. Please use gloves while handling and wash thoroughly afterward. Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

13. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

i ended taking my boy nalo to the vet to get scraped,the vet found two dead mites so he said it was very mild case of demodex mange,so i got goodwinol ointment from the vet to treat it.hopefully in a cdouple of weeks i will see some results. thanks to all who advised me.