1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

good keep for carpetmill

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by monsterVili, Jul 17, 2006.

1. i was wondering if anyone out there had a good keep with use of only a carpetmill. i was planning on using Colby's keep with a few add touchs of my own for monster's first. but it calls for a treadmill which i do not have. and i have read that it is best not to go over ten mins. if anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks

2. I dont know about you guys but I have had friens that ran there dogs for 45 min to 2 hours a day

3. did they run them on carpetmill or a treadmill?

4. BUGZY

BUGZY Pup

Depends On The Dog I Have A Dog Who Could Run Carpet Mill Allday But 30 Mins Is More Than Enough

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Here's some very nice mills, you should invest in one.

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15108&highlight=mills

Run a search.

I would imagine that the dog needs to work it's way up. Keep a good solid eye on him while he's working and if you have good sense, you should know when enough is enough. A very hard core working dog will go on a mill for much longer than 10-30 min.

EXAMPLE here is a doberman working title:
    AD (US equivalent) Dog must go 12 miles in 2 1/2 hours and pass a temperament test. As you can see, this dog needs a lot more than 30 min. on the mill to get this title.

It all depends on what your goals are. If you just want to shape your dog up for health or for some conformation, 10-30 min. is probably about right. I am no expert, so get some more opinions.

6. game_test

game_test Top Dog

you will not be able to do a well rounded good keep on a carpetmill alone. you cant make a dog run too long on that type of mill either. you would be better off handwalking and running the dog next to a bike than to use a carpet mill by itself.

7. B

B CH Dog

I would be sure not to recommend running a dog for long on a carpet mill. A free spinning mill like a slat mill are fine for long distances because they are aerobic exercise. Carpet mills are anaerobic exercise and you can burn a dogs kidneys out by running on them too long. monsterVili, check your PM. I left you a message earlier and I'll be glad to help you out. Shoot me a call.

Regards,

B

8. thanks for the info everyone i believe i got a game plan ready now will post before and after pics. although i don't know if i can do much more for monster i think he is perfect when it comes to looking at him just need to work on endurance