1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Going to try build a slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by ausapbt, Oct 2, 2009.

?

What color slats with black frame

Poll closed Oct 16, 2009.
  1. Stained gloss

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. matt black

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. pig mad

pig mad Banned

Hey mate were did you get those rollers from??

2. thank you thank you thank you for this thread...Im gonna try and make my own slatmill...i have weekends off and i will def be a project for and your thread is very informative....again thank you.

3. easyboss

easyboss Big Dog

That's something that dogtrotter seriously needs to consider. A system
    that allows customers to buy there bits and pieces as and when funds
    allow, and sort of 'bolt' the pieces together once you have the frame,
    belt, pre drilled bolt holes for the bearings etc.

I think dt could do a lot better doing it this way as well as completely built
    mills as he does currently.

4. loon

loon Pup

5. norseman

norseman Big Dog

I am No expert and I don't have a slat mill either BUT I can tell you that the split type wheels only have the bearing hug part on one half of the rim so you need to get two extra bearing hubs for the other half.... or get four rims and have spare parts....LOL . Cool Wheels though. There are split type wheels in steel as well, check out Go-cart sites

How far along are you in the build?

6. loon

loon Pup

thanks very much mate

7. loon

loon Pup

would the same apply to cart wheels? ,so i would need 4 or 8 wheels?
    would i be using the complete wheel for each main wheel minus tyre??
    well confused,lol,and all pics ive looked at dont help my confusion,this is the only real parts ive got left to source
    thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  8. loon

loon Pup

is this the type of belting able to be used on a mill? as i see rubber a no no
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-1-2-Tan-Nyl...564133851?pt=Sewing_Trims&hash=item2eb28dcfdb
    im thinkin about this for my project mill,still sourcing my final stuff before the build
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/obsolete-flyt...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=6367368411621634203 not the rubber,either the pu or pvc type conveyor belting,what do you think? usuable?
    regards loon

9. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

For main wheels you are just using half a rim and a hub so you will need to buy two full rims and two addtional hubs to have enough for a mill . One Hub per wheel halve . as far as the belting goes Someone else on here used firehose and that worked out well for them so i think the webbing could work but you will have to get it wider than 1.5 " anywhere from 2-4" will be fine depending on weather you use steel skate wheels or rollerblade wheels single row or double . There are plenty of pictures of mill builds Google will get you in the right direction also compare other builders specs to your own to see what works for them and to get a good idea of a parts list

10. norseman

norseman Big Dog

Loom, the web I am sure will be good, strong as hell. hear of a guy that used old seat belts from the breakers yard for a low price... strong and nice width.
    not everybody has a fire hose handy. rubber is too plyable.
    Mextra said it right about the rims. check out the dogtrotter webiste, good pics of the wheels there
    also an Aussie guy on this site walks you throu his build.... check it out. keep it sipmle.

why not a carpet mill, cheaper and easier to build, even buy!

11. loon

loon Pup

:)
    thankyou to all who have replied to my queries,i took a chance on this webbing,same as is used for seat belts ect,as i saw someone elses post in this forum saying he used this stuff 2" WIDTH (HOPE IT WIDE ENOUGH) - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-meter-x-50mm-colour-Polypropylene-2-Webbing_W0QQitemZ110368153902QQcategoryZ57734QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6370665579898354818 and to be honest im hardly being robbed on the price,just need to find some cheap go cart wheels and extra hubs ect,but man they not cheap.

was thinking 1st about this but slightly thinner in width http://www.rubberloc.co.uk/belting/...belting.html?gclid=CLO5mrzQuqYCFYUe4Qoden-FHA
    im gonna use single row roller skate wheels as i already bought those and bearings

12. loon

loon Pup

i am building a slat mill on a smaller scale to all you bulldog owners,i need it to get my patterdales terriers stamina up so they are in tip top condition,as they are earth dogs,stamina is needed for such animals,if no stamina you cant expect them to stay below ground till dug out for many hours sometimes,i get them out only once per day now, due to a change in lifestyle (ie new family,which is priority) i cant get out as often as i used too, i would normally have them a few miles per day twice,so a mill is required to enhance their fiitness regime to an acceptable level,i may also build a carpet mill at some point but stamina is of the upmost importance for my dogs at the present

13. loon

loon Pup

can anyone tell me a little more about kart wheels? ie-do all of them split into 2 parts,i been searching ebay,but they all seem to be one piece alloy ones,unless im not looking properly at them,or they bad pictures,could someone put a link of some which are suitable maybe as an example of some that do split,dont wanna buy the wrong type!!!
    thanks in advance

14. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

15. loon

loon Pup

thanks,but shipping fee gonna be a killer to uk,and i get stung from customs on import tax,before i get my item,i been searchin in the uk for the same wheels but it doesnt seem like we get them here,been searching all night,also if i do manage to find some here in uk,do i need to aquire the axles for the hubs also?
    appreciate the help

16. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

Get the seller to write 'GIFT' on the box.

17. loon

loon Pup

tried this mate recently on some pc parts,does no longer work,i got stitched into paying £40 quid for some items a friend in america actually did send as a gift,but because the items being sent were insured,customs knew how much they were worth,your only allowed £40 item to be imported without being stung
    regards

18. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

keep it simple and you will be right, dont use rubber for your belt it will stretch, use nylon belts. ive had to alter my belt on this mill but everything else has held up and works great.

the wheels i got are just lawn mower wheels with bearings and are cheap as to buy, if doing it again I would probly upgrade the bearings in the wheels but not essential as they are holding up to about 2 hours work a week without any issue

good luck with your build

19. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Hey Ausapbt do you have an updated video of your dog running the mill ? I remember the first one it was like he was just getting used to it does he run wide open now ?

20. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

hi,

no updated vids, he runs wide open if baited with something but if not he keeps to a consistent fast jogging type pace