1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Going to try build a slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by ausapbt, Oct 2, 2009.

?

What color slats with black frame

Poll closed Oct 16, 2009.
  1. Stained gloss

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. matt black

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

Hey all,

built two mills so far using manual human treadmills and not overly impressed, they work but not what i was after.

Going to make a slat mill so if anybody has any advice they would like to share i would be happy to hear from you but if not all good i think i have it figured out and ill keep the thread updated to help anybody else interested in building their own

looking at commencing in the next couple of weeks so fingers crossed

DIMENSIONS:
    Overall: 150 cm max. long x 45 cm wide x 120 cm tall
    Running surface: 34 cm wide x 120 cm long
    Slats: 5.6 cm wide x 0.8 cm thick x 34 cm long
    Belts: 0.5 x 6 cm - Gum, or 0,2 x 7 cm - PVC
    Roller bed wheels: 38 piece 5.6cm, or 34 piece 7.2 cm

cheers
    ausapbt

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Good luck,let us know how it turns out.

3. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

things are progressing, am close to finalizing frame design and going with a combination of steel and maybe some timber and clear perspex,

the mill will have 3 tie down points.

going with oak slats will buy them tommorow,

purchased 2x 3mmx75mm rubber strips for attaching slats too, not cheap at all but i guess its the tried and tested way so im not going to try re invent the wheel.

anyways hope to make a start on the belt tommorow, will update the thread as i can

cheers
    ausapbt

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

good luck with the mill The first ne i made was a disaster. the next was workable. The only advice I can give is be exact in everything you do. 1/16" here and 1/32" there does nto sound like a lot, but those small variances multiply into drag. good luck...
    check out rollerbob.com killer deals on roller blade wheels...s

5. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

thanks slim,

found bulk lot 160no inline skate wheels for $39 and need to buy bearings probly another $50 or so on ebay,
    just waiting to hear back from the supplier for shipping price...

6. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

Update:

ok so today i went out and brought my slats and the bolts nuts and washers to attach them to the belt.

I also brought a drill press so i could drill perfect holes to eliminate any issues down the track.

At this stage i can appreciate why these mills cost $1000+, lots of work goes into them and the belt alone costs almost the price of a carpet mill when using top grade material.

ok so at this stage i have on hand;
    -2x 3mmx75mm rubber strips
    -10no 65mmx12mmx2700mm Tasmanian oak slats which ive cut in to 450mm lengths. will require approx 53no slats for the entire belt, maybe a few less as ive overestimated to play it safe. total length of oak is 27 meters.
    -1no Drill press
    -100no 6mmx25mm galvanized cuphead bolts and nuts
    -2kg box of 6mm zinc plated washers.

this is everthing for the belt on hand, waiting on wheels and once i have them i will construct the frame.

so far ive spent close to 5 hours buying and hand cutting so pretty labour intensive but will be well worth the time, effort and money if it spins freely.

cheers
    ausapbt

Attached Files:

7. art

art Big Dog

starting look like mill maker mill if works let me now good luck:confused::confused:

8. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

lol, will keep you all posted, just wondering should i use a light coloured stain on the oak or a dark coloured stain?

as i need to stain the slats prior to attaching them to the rubber strips

the frame is going to be all black

9. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

i like the look of these mills and the colour contrast but thinking the darker the slats the more chance of scratching being visible from the dogs nails and obviously the lighter the colour the less obvious... anybody have experience with this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

decided today that the frame will be constructed with powder coated black aluminum as it is strong and very light weight,

I am going to put it all together using bolts with rubber washers and angle brackets instead of welds to make it easy to break down and transport if required

fingers crossed it comes together how i see it in my head

11. Wow congrats on your decision to make one on your own. I wish you success!

12. DENI

DENI Pup

Good luck with it mate, be lookin forward to see how it turns out for u. Cheers.

13. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

thanks appreciate it...

Update: Just purchased my 180mm diameter wheels with bearings for the ends, now to buy the skate wheels to make up the roller bed

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

the place on ebay wants $150 for shipping for the inline skate wheels bulk buy, plus $39 to buy them and i still got to buy bearings,

anybody used fixed castor wheels or have any other ideals for the roller bed?

15. pa2bull

pa2bull Pup

Model that I made simple.

Slat.....Made from rubber wood, but I put together at the top to smooth and secure.
    good luck..:D

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      22.4 KB
      Views:
  16. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

My hats off to you guys building your own mills cant wait 2 see the finished product. Pa2bull make me 1 of those mills ill pay you name the price.

17. Anyone use E mills...Short for electric mills...Its cheaper, but of course you can't just leave your dog on there because if decides He/she is not going to run they will choke to death...but on the other hand it forces you to spend more time dog...:rolleyes:

18. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

I have 1 set up with sides i built and a cross bar 2 keep them in place i have never used it yet. I just rather hit the pavement in the middle of the night while its no one out get too bond good that way also.

19. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

it works but not as good as a slat. Plus you got to be there looking, cause if your dog stops it going to get drag.

20. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

Sure will i wouldnt leave em alone on a slat or carpet either.