1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

giardia and coccidia prevention and treatment

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mitchmmd, Jan 27, 2016.

1. mitchmmd

mitchmmd Pup

I was wondering if anyone would please share on prevention and treatment of coccidia and giardia, from personal experiences.
    Thanks

2. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

if you click on HEALTH AND NUTRITION page on this site there is a thread on coccida treatment etc.

3. Mop Master

Mop Master Yard Boi AKA MopMaster, Gutter Boy & LWG

Sulmet for coccidia, & safeguard twice a day for 5 days to treat the giardia. Google the dosages. Both can be found at your local feed store...

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Bleach and cleanliness. It is a bigger deal and harder to deal with in puppies. They just piss and sh^% anywhere and the rest just walk/play right thru it.

Go to Beagles Unlimited. There is a health section there that covers both subjects very well.

Not to throw off on the health section here, just that is the one that is off the top of my head.

S

5. mitchmmd

mitchmmd Pup

Thank you guys very much for all of your help.

6. My most recent pup just got over a case of giardia and my last pup, a little over a year ago, also had it. Metronidazole will usually take care of giardia and can be ordered as an aquarium antibiotic from Thomas Labs. Coccidia may require TMZ as well as metronidazole. In some areas giardia can be very hard to avoid but as the dogs matures there immune system will often times take care of them just fine but the pups are very vulnerable. If you give them antibiotics make sure you give them some type of probiotics such as purina fortiflora. Maybe something like yogurt or buttermilk would work instead of the fortiflora not sure. To avoid these protozoas be careful of what your dog drinks and eats, things like goose shit or pond water is full of these protozoas. If dog is positive for giardia 5 days minimum is usually required. After five days check stool sample.

7. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

Albon
    Common Drug Name
    Sulfadimethoxine

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

8. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog