1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a dog to work????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Redtail74, Jul 2, 2004.

1. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

.......p-u-p-p-y

2. Jelet

Jelet Banned

This is what I do. I have my dog on a leash about 50 feet away from the springpole. Then I have somebody else move the "Bait" on the springpole around to pump my dog up. I let my dog get "frustrated" for 30 seconds, then set him loose. I do this to make the springpole seem more interesting for the dog. Also, I remember when my dog would not chase the flirt pole. I guess he was getting bored of it or he could of been afraid of it because I think the cowhide on the flirtpole hit him in the eye by accident.. because he always liked the flirtpole then all of a sudden didnt play with it no more. So I told my dog to "sit". Then I took the cowhide(which was attached to the flirtpole) and I rubbed it all over his teeth and tongue, so that he gets the "flavor" of it. And then I said good boy and he started to like the flirt pole again. I guess he forgot how good the cowhide taste or something.

This is what I do and works perfectly fine.

Just move the flirt pole or spring pole around to "tease" your dog for a minute or two. Then set him or her loose when first introducing the dog to these exercises.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
  3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Thanks rally, I missed the age completly.

4. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

Building confidence is key. Find something he likes to put his mouth on..puppies love stinky old socks. try that ..put it on a flirt and tease him real slow with it. try to get him interested, then when he takes it let em have it...he's won that round..next time tug with him a little..when he pulls back against ya good..let em have it...alot of dogs, espcially young arent confident at all about their mouths. like others have said....tie him up or kennel him where he can see a big dog work. thats how i start pups learnin how to catch. pen em up next to the catch pen and put mama in there to work. they pick up quick quick:cool:

5. TNK

TNK Pup

The simplest form of workable "drive" is fetch,the dog has obviously been mishandled and by the sounds of it "still is".(no progress made):o

You must establish a plan(what will this dogs job be?)
    Start from square one,in dog terms and that is "pack order"
    If your dog doesn't respect you as the leader of the pack it will never
    be willing to work "for you".

A pack leader must be fair and never over bearing,forced submission
    is never good. Tricking a dog to work will play out later in life when you have a dog you cant control.(Dogs are much worse then women,they never forget "any" of the bad things you do):p

Do you have a "Working Dog" Kennel in your area?
    A small investment with a reputable source in this field will pay out in a big way once some ground rules are set and the handler keeps consistent in work ethics.
    Handlers generally need more training then the dog(s):eek:

If your interested I can show you where to look,just drop me a PM.