1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Gameness in you?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by smalldog, Apr 17, 2016.

1. smalldog

smalldog Big Dog

? How many of you believe that with all things being equal how much of your one sameness do you put in your dog? How much does the owner handler have to do with bringing the most out of your bulldog.

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Zero on gameness. There is nothing a person can do to make a dog game, place gameness in him or take gameness away.

100% on getting the most out of your dog.

From the perspective of being the owner, great handling and great conditioning can hide the lack of gameness but great handling and great conditioning can't make the dog any more or less game than he happens to possess.

Every dog is genetically predispositioned to do a certain amount. The owner is there to help him get to that point and at the same time a lot of owners hinder the dog from getting to that point.

A lot of these dogs do well in spite of their owner. A lot of these dogs do a little more for their owner than they would for the next guy, but they can never do more than what is there to start.

I have seen a few dogs I thought were curs but lots of mouth, great conditioning and slick handling has made them into winners, some even well known winners. Some call it hiding the cur.

S

3. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Good post slim . i agree
    I do think a person whos game themselves or comcompete in combat/contact sports can have a better eye for spotting a dog whos game

4. c_note

c_note CH Dog

I agree. If you can tell when a person will quit, you can most times see it in a dog

5. slim12

Kinda sorta agree with the concept but in reality there is a huge disconnect. There are no combat/contact sports that require gameness that is along the same line as the dogs.

The life and death aspect is not there. No matter how bad combat sport is there is a unbiased referee who will stop things when they are bad. In the back of every competitors mind there is the option to tap. The dogs don't have that option nor the comprehension of the situation. They are in the fight of their lives every time out.

Once a dog is truly started seldom will they quit fighting. They may stop scratching but they will seldom stop defending themselves.

Gameness is basically the willingness to continue for no apparent reason.

The closest a person may come is in some military combat situations. Like being in a fight, the fight stopping and then continuing. It is life or death, not getting to a stopping point and bailing.

So many variables.

Deep subject. Great topic.

S

6. smalldog

smalldog Big Dog

I think if your dog show intrest in what you want him to do a strong bond and relationship goes along way. In my experience with my pitbulls is we feed of each other the more I pump him up the harder he goes it's like a connection we have.

7. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Slim is right. I was referring to the look of wantin to stop. Only in a military situation would I suggest staying til the death. I'll protect my life and my families lives to the death, but when the other guy hits the ground I'm leavin! Dead or not, I have a family to get back to!! That alone is reason to leave. If it's you or me, it's gotta be you! Again, I have a family to go home to!! The dogs usually do it for their handlers first, then their lives. Only so much "get em boy" is gone do when he gettin his ass handed to him and he can't do shit to stop it. That's when you find out how game he is for fightin and how game you are to let him fight. Fine line between game and dead game.

8. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

In my opinion I agree with Slim also.However I will say this as I'm living proof. I believe in hand walking. I myself have gotten myself and the hound I'm conditioning up 20 miles a day. 10 in the am, 10 in the pm. Along with spring pole, flirt pole work, weight pulling, wind sprints ect. I have gotten into top shape myself during a keep. Also this increase' Bonding time . Along with plenty of rest, the right nutrition, I know that my hound is ready to hunt. As well as myself too if nessary. And Yes I have been there ,

9. smalldog

smalldog Big Dog

Agree..I also hand walk and run etc. My pup is only 5 months but I have already gotten him used to exercising with me.

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I agree with this.I know a man and he lives down the road , his first night in Nam he was sent out kn ambush patrol.They ambushed the enemy and both platoons ran out of ammo and it went hand to hand..Him and one other American was the only 2 survivors..Lol first night !

11. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

People die in combat sports. And some guys have to be saved lest they prob die in the ring or get seriously injured
    Not disagreeing with yall just saying.
    Ive seen my share boxers cur out in sparring. Ask around noboddys coming to save you in a Philly gym

12. slim12

Never been in a Philly gym but I am guessing on a knock down the guy does not drop down with a throat check whilst everyone on the outside cheers til RIP.

People do die in combat sports but it is never an intended outcome, a possibility, but never an intention.

True, some need to be saved or they could possibly die. No doubts there. But the safety nets are there. The ref is (should be) neutral and has the obligation to stop it long before that happens. In the dogs that same ref stands idly by when someone's $$$ is worth more than the dog.

Kinda sorta the same but still a lot of difference.

S

13. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

Yes it's not just in Philly. That's every where. Let's hope there is a referee and a corner man that cares about your life. Yes people like Ali, refused to go down or quit, when he was beaten up bad when he fought Larry Homes. "Gameness". An instinct within himself not to go down. Even several times Larry drops his hands looking at the referee like, stop this beating.

14. slim12

As a kid my buddy's uncle was home from Viet Nam. I was like 10-12 and he was 24 or so. At 12 war stories are way cool because I simply did not know any better. No real appreciation til I grew up.

The respect for the combat veteran is unending.

S

15. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

In this sport I think it comes down to A ton of common sense, then develop A solid relationship with your charge, knowing EVERYTHING about them as far as weight, peaking at the right time, and of coarse knowing HOW to handle physicaly and mentaly! If it was still legal today I know I could get one in optimal shape, but because of my age and injuries I would never handle! Bobby Hall and Jim S. were probably A couple of the best I've seen! Being A great handler is like being A great Jockey, the relation ship between the two! I'm sure there are more but this was all before 1976!
    And theres one other thing read the thread "The Dog That Was Trained to Scratch" TRUE STORY!!!

16. The hanlder has to be game in every aspect the moment he starts second guessing his decision the dog can sense it as long as the handler is confident the dog will continue to give you everything it has the moment you start giving up on your dog it starts wondering why your giving up on it and never let someone else handle I don't care who it is the dog works best with who ever does the keep because during the keep you build one hell of a bond with each other

Sleep likes this.
  17. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Big Dog

These dogs are in a class all to themselves. 99% of humans would be running home to mommy if asked to do what the apbt did/does. I think we all have a little "pit bull" inside of us but let's not kid ourselves, to suggest anything more is an insult to the pit dog.

18. I've been underestimated my whole life because of my size but I can tell you now I'm 100% game because I was to scared to cur out on anything because curs got shot around my house I fought mma for three years at different weights just to prove I'm game maybe I just knew whatever happened was better than what would happen if my old man found out I curred

19. I honestly believe Mr.gray would've shot me if I was a curr

20. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

all good reads...

I would say the answer depends on the person and what they have witnessed or believe other wise,,,
    there are many forms of gameness depending on the persons eye or experiences...

I agree with Slim that there is zero a human can do to add gameness besides using the best judgement,,,
    but only agree to this statement with the dogs that are 100% game regardless of the circumstances...

I think there is alot of variables as mentioned as when the bucket has been taking to the well too may times,,,
    but there are a rare few that are 100% game all the time no matter what...

I think the master/handler has alot to do with the total oppisite end of the spectrum dogs,,,
    the type that bond and the main reason dogs evolved from wolves...

Sure they might be curs to the hardcore dogman but scratch all night for a compassionate confidant handler,,,
    sure the right person can get a last scratch out of a good bond developed in a keep,,,
    and yes cnote dont eat your words,,,
    your damn right alot of bulldogs will quit with there owners!!!

I understand the hardcore dogger logic of they are what they are,,,
    but I also seen that small brew batch that run in a pack and got gr ch and chs out of it...

If you havnt seen a dog wake up from death and scratch to a voice that would have just slept,,,
    I wouldnt go on a limb and say a competent dog man that understands this only brings out the best of these dogs,,,
    but I also believe some dogs could give a fuck less about anything you do...

there is a wide range in between those two types of people and an assortment of different style dogs to go with it,,,
    if they could just be placed together with the right style all will succeed...

I would say the hardcore doggers dogs are harder in every sense,,,
    but I would not rule out the opposition of mans best friend out performing them...

LC,,, I agree the amount of gameness in most humans is rare and usually when the adrenaline crashes they cur...
    plus there are no strains of humans bred for gameness...

alright maybe a rare few,,,lol...

Danny Dyers Deadliest Men: Paddy Doherty | Bare Knuckle Boxer (Full) - YouTube

Brutal Street Fight Paddy Doherty - YouTube