1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Game Bred APBT As a Pet

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by The_Diesel, Apr 24, 2014.

1. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

JLusk, I agree with you. Just to clarify though, I never called them "working" dogs either, I just said "if they get a avenue to work", meaning being put through a keep, I think they're less of a pet as the one that is the house dog. That's why I consider there to be a "gray" area or "degrees" to being a pet. I'm not saying they're a "working" dog or comparable to the sports you listed, because they're NOT. I just look at them a LITTLE different then the house dog that does no work what so ever. I agree that standing in a ring and looking pretty is NOT working, by any means, I'm referring to the keep as their avenue of working. It's not comparable to the work that the ones you listed do, that's why I look at it with "degrees".

2. It's not just with APBTs. As I said I was involved with German shepherds and a lot of the breeders and competitors keep their dogs in kennel setups in the yard or barn. Some had a house German shepherd, no house dog, or a small poodle type.

Hard core working line German shepherds would be real tough to keep as a house pet.

3. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

..90% of dog species were bred for a reason(work)...be it hunting/sniffing truffles/etc....even mill-dogs..ie;sausage dog's glen's/etc...these long dog's for example were used to run a small mill in the kitchen to turn spit's/etc..they also killed vermin...then theres the lap dog..ie...pug's/etc.....the show ring is a man made idea..at first it was to prove who had the best dog and it went to had the best looking dog and what they considered it should look like......???????????????/

4. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I know of plenty of folks who are dog collectors they have 30 plus well bred dogs running around on chains that don't do shit but rot on the chain they eat, sleep, and shit outside but they never get a chance to get off the chain and prove shit I would still consider those pets/border line animal hoarding lol . In my mind it doesn't matter where a game dog eat sleeps and shits if it works it works . IMO the best working dogs should also make good pets. A pet like a working dog serves a purpose owning a working bred dog as a pet is not a problem as Agk stated so long as the dog is in capable hands. Working dogs can do well in doors if the owner exercises it regularly and spends time working with the dog house training it ect . Keeping dogs caged all day indoors is also counterproductive if you can't spend time and form some sort of bond with these dogs you might as well not have them as they will become unruly and destructive and you will Create bigger problems with these dogs later on.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2014
  5. Its funny - My uncle has a couple german shepherds on his 2000 acre cow farm and he leaves the dogs outside at night. They may go in the house during the day but are mostly outside dogs that keep coyotes, raccoons, etc away from chickens cows etc. When I tell this to some "german shepherd" breeders they are disgusted that the dog is left outside at night even in winter. They believe the dogs should be inside with their owner.......

People forget that dogs were created for a purpose and to work. My uncle actually says the idiots that have their german shepherd sleeping in bed with them are ruining the breed. They are trying to make a dog bred for a specific working purpose a lap dog.

6. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Workings dogs don't care where they sleep if they are bred to work they are going to work KEY word being bred to work! Keeping one outdoors doesn't change it's working ability no more than letting it sleep in the bed would. A dog that works works at the end of the day where it eat sleeps and shits doesn't matter. The bottom line is what you put into a dog you will get back it takes work but it can be done if one chooses to keep one in the house.

7. treezpitz

Everybody has their own opinion and mine is if a dog is a inside dog, it IS a pet. Don't matter if he clocks into work everyday like you do, it's still a house dog, it's a pet.

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I agree people have their own opinions and I respect yours but the fact is a proven dog is a working dog I don't care if it sleeps on pink pillows every night in a five star hotel eating Caviar twice a day. Where a dog sleeps or lives doesn't define it's purpose or it's ability as a working animal. Double Gr Ch Tornado slept on a couch gr ch Virgil slept with a cat on a dog bed in a house I would hardly call those animals pets lol. People get hung up on stuff that doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2014
  9. treezpitz

Question: Do you believe a dog can be a working dog and a pet at the same time?

I say yes. And that's all I'm getting at. IMO there are degrees to this situation and nobody is right and nobody is wrong. I also respect your opinion, I just think we disagree with our views on this topic. I see a house dog as a pet. Eating caviar or not lol.

10. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I understand I can agree that a working dog can be both a working dog and a pet at the same time. I just don't define a dog by its living situation you have people who put pets on chains and they live out doors 100% of the time but never do anything but eat and occupy a chain spot their entire life. So that's where I am going with this at the end of the day how a dog sleeps or where it lives doesn't define it's purpose what the animal does defines it's purpose.

11. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...agree with sadie,,on some,,,like ya better off not keeping dogs if there only going to spend there life..on a chain/or confined in a crate/etc/etc..but these type of working dogs in general,should not be turned into house-pet's..not saying no,, some are ok with it spec;as they get older/etc...but to each there own..most dog's will be uncomfortable inside,,apart from lap/dogs/etc..but even...????when we ever had these dogs inside,they would only be allowed in the back room/passage.(if very sick/old/etc).where they would have a bed...they would never have the run of the house..never

12. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Like Sadie said where a dog sleeps has nothing to do with work.and mostly everybody pets their dogs so they all pets.Mines a house dog and a chain dog at the same time.He never calls in sick.what say you?

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I know of a few ch's now that are kept In doors they are put out on chains during the day but come in at night and sleep inside. They got the hardware and the miles to back up their resumes. Some dogs are kept inside to keep them from being stolen! There are many reasons why a working dog might sleep inside keeps, aftercare, or just because the owner wants the dog inside.

14. treezpitz

I still say it's a pet.

15. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I think the title of the thread rather begs for semantics. IMO, both Sadie and Treez are correct. Nothing really separates their views but semantics.

It doesn't matter where a dog sleeps in order for it to be either a performance dog OR house dog. This, to me, is totally correct. It is also correct, IMO, to say anything in the house is a pet, regardless of what its job is, as Treez states.

I think any discrepancy lies not within what each suggests, but in the fact we always need labels. They can sleep wherever, and you can call them whatever. What is the difference and what bearing could it have on what each dog is, or what one calls it?

Does a bulldog belong in the house? I see nothing more to it than the fact it depends on the dog and his adeptness to the home, and the owner.

16. treezpitz

Well said and very true TDK.

17. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I think people get too hung up on the term pet. As if it's a derogitory term to call them or something. Mine are all pets whether they sleep indoors or outdoors yet all will punch the time clock when need be. I think people just need to be realistic with what you have, Many tried and true bulldogs have lived indoors just as many dogs that have never done shit have rotted out on a chain.. If your dog is loved and cared for who cares what term you use... JM2c...

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

working dog or pet?

[video=youtube_share;P1r48Z7026I]http://youtu.be/P1r48Z7026I[/video]

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

[video=youtube_share;P1r48Z7026I]http://youtu.be/P1r48Z7026I[/video]

20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy