1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Game Bred APBT As a Pet

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by The_Diesel, Apr 24, 2014.

1. This is true. But just airing it out before I make decision and I do appreciate the comments.
    Thanks everyone

2. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I think you'll make the right choice. It's good that you're concerned enough to do some homework before jumping in head first, as you know from being around dogs, it's a 10-15 year commitment. Sincerely, good luck with your decision.

3. Hawks are champions and it's seems like refs are making it hard so there is parity in league

4. Ignore my last post. Watching hawks sngame and having a beer or two and made mistake. That was meant for my bro.

5. Thanks. I do think I will hold off on APBT until kids get a little older. I do appreciate all the thoughts and honesty without the BS fluff/political correctness.

That's what I wanted

6. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...............................................ah.............................well.................................

7. treezpitz

" I do appreciate all the thoughts and honesty without the BS fluff/political correctness.

That's what I wanted"

You got what you asked for. Straight up, no BS opinions. Isn't that what you were looking for? You're the one who made the "mistake" of saying you wanted a "menace looking" dog who could "earn his keep" by protecting the house. Nobody put those words in your mouth except you. If things didn't go the way you planned in the beginning of the thread, quite possibly you should start to reword things different before you ask for opinions. Just my .02 after your half smart ass comment. Good luck.

8. None of the responses provided in the thread included BS Fluff/Political correctness. I think every response in this thread was helpful to me. That is what I meant.

9. treezpitz

Good. Sorry for the misunderstanding then.

10. All about the indivisual dog evn some toy dogs shouldn't
    be places in homes

11. jack_c92

jack_c92 Pup

Have you thought about a staffordshire bull terrier ? very similar and great with kids

12. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

In the right hands the APBT can make a fantastic pet. Key words here, "In the right hands".

I know many well respected dogman who keep one in the house. The problems come from people who shouldn't own hamsters let alone a game bred dog and yet they get one anyway. These people who feel they have what it takes to raise one indoors having never even been around one before or done any kind of homework on the breed and then they find out the hard way just how committed one has to be to raise one in the home properly. They eventually set the dog up for failure and sure as shit, the dog takes the fall for it. Plenty of people do it successfully without so much as a single issue. It's about being a responsible owner and keeping the dog from getting itself in trouble, as it is with ANY breed of dog.

31,521 = the number of members this site has, don't kid yourselves, the vast majority of them are pet owners.......

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  13. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

AGK...show me the numbers!

Unless you did the poll, you can't do a 95% quote! I love my numbers...and would rather you quote them from a proper poll than pulling a personal opinion!

First you have to factor out inactive members, banned members and spammers that got under the fence. That leaves you with a hard number of active members, which changes on a daily basis. Only 278 members visited the forum in the last 24 hours. Of those 278, ...ok get it? lol

14. AGK

There would never be a 100% accurate poll able to be done since anyone with any sense would not willingly admit they have anything other than a pet.. ;) I was being very generous with the 95%, It would probably be closer to 98 - 99% if we could actually do a blind poll and even then it would be hard to verify. Unfortunately we can't though. The number I posted was our total membership from the time I posted, out of those I'm sure many are either banned, spammers, duplicate accounts, no longer come here or are non active members. Out of 278 active members whom actually participate here, the % of active owners would drastically drop even lower. There is no way to really know for sure with any real accuracy since the sport end of these dogs are very taboo in todays society and no one with 1/2 a brain is going to openly admit to committing a felony.

No way will I do a poll on it lmao...

There, I went back and edited the 95% to the vast majority. lol No numbers needed. lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  15. AGK

My point was, the majority of the people who own these dogs own them simply as pets and to say they do not make good pets (in responsible hands) is ludicrous. ;)

16. treezpitz

I consider a pet a dog that lives in the house and does no work. Whether the work be hog hunting, showing, etc. IMO There are degrees of that. If somebody goes to a adba show every now and then but their dogs still sleeps around the house, it's still a pet. But if the dog is living outside and has avenues to be worked, it's not a pet. Just my opinion, of course.

17. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

LoL!

So, treez, if the dog lives in the house, and is worked, you still consider that a pet? Or is that a degree of a pet? What about indoor kennels? ;)

18. treezpitz

I just consider a pet a house dog. IDK where I got that image at, that's just how I view it. If the dog is worked on a regular basis, I suppose one might not consider it a pet, but I would. It sits around the house, in the a/c or heat and gets "petted" all day.

I would look at a "kennel" setup in a basement (or somewhere similar) just like I would a outdoor kennel setup, it's not a pet. The "degrees of that" comment is speaking on if a dog does NO work at all, it's a full blown pet, no question about it. If somebody takes their dog to a adba show or 2 but still lays on the foot of their bed at night, I think it's a pet but not as much as the one that goes to NO shows.

So, in my messed up head, I do view the situation as having "degrees". My opinion goes for renting a house also. If a landlord asks if I have "pets", I say no that I have outside dogs. IMO A pet is the dog crammed in a cage in the corner of the house or even underneath the dinner table looking for dropped food. Not the dog outside running the chain barking at wild animals, digging holes, etc. Just my opinion from my twisted head LOL.

19. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

All mine get the "pet" treatment until there about 4-7 months old. After that ass is outside with the rest of the crew. Depending on how active and destructive maybe sooner lmao

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

Rollsroyce likes this.
  20. JLusk

JLusk Big Dog

I consider conformation dogs pets. Just because you exercise them for a show does not mean they are a working dog. Working dogs are match dogs, catch dogs for hunting wild hogs, coon hounds, beagles, terriers that go to ground, personal protection dogs whatever breed it may be, and even weight pull dogs etc etc.. Conformation dogs are exercised to look good prancing in a circle around a ring and in my opinion that's definately not a working dog but merely a pet