1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Game Bred APBT As a Pet

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by The_Diesel, Apr 24, 2014.

1. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Yeah your over analyzing.... If someone wants to break in they will, if they know you have a "menacing" dog they just figure a way around it

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

2. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

If I was you, I'd invest in a surveillance camera and alarm setup. They'll be alot cheaper and easier to maintain. A bulldog should NOT be used as a deterrent because he looks "menacing", I'd suggest going with the GS or Dobe if you want a guard dog. The bulldog is not and should not be used in that manner. Bad for the breeds image and it's only because of reasons like that they have a bad image in the first place. You seemed to be picking up what people were putting down but you just took a wrong turn. Seriously, the more I read, you really need another breed, possibly a poodle.

3. XLR8

XLR8 Big Dog

If you want a dog to protect your home an APBT isn't the best choice. Your best bet would be to get a GSD or Rottweiler from proven euro working lines. Rotties shed way less than GSD if that is an issue. You could also go with an American Bulldog, but again get your dog from working stock, preferably from someone who does something like schutzhund and has both parents titled at level 2 at least.

4. Maybe I didnt explain myself correctly or my point went over your head but I dont want a dog to protect the house. I dont want a dog that is human aggressive at all that is why I was looking at APBT. It wouldnt hurt if other people didnt know they werent human aggressive as is plastered all over the news. Anyway....

I grew up in chicago in the 80s and a couple of my friends had pit bulls and they were nice normal medium sized house dogs that we hung out with and played with. That plus the americas dog from back in the 30s 40s etc just made me think they were not the loaded guns that people in the press/media make them out to be.

5. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

6. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

7. Yeah - I see that I have have dealt with a fair amount of negativity when i had the german shepherds.

Maybe the APBT isnt the way to go. Just thought with the experiences I had as a kid and how any APBT that was human aggressive was culled I thought it would be a good choice.

The way the media makes the APBT out to be a monster, 95% of people wouldnt believe that dogmen use german shepherds or other security to protect their APBTs from thieves!!!

I guess the issue with the APBT is if it does for some reason attack, the results are gonna be alot worse that most other dogs........

Thanks alot for the information and posts.

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

They're not in the capable hands with people who respect/ understand the power and mentality of a bulldog take all necessary steps to ensure they don't end up on fox 5. The problem is too many people get these dogs because they have become popular for the wrong reasons, and many times you have these crazy rescue nuts trying to promote the breed as the all loving friendly dog that you take to your local dog parks and doggie day cares to play with all the cute little dogs. A lot of pet owners get these dogs as pets thinking they can change their genetics through love and training which ultimately sets the dogs up for failure ending in some tragedy that could have been prevented. Many Pet owners and rescue nuts don't respect the breeds history and what they were bred for they hate the idea of these dogs being fought and would rather sweep it under the rug than to deal with the stone cold reality that these dogs are genetically hard wired to fight other animals and no amount of love or training can undo their genetics. These dogs are just not for everyone and the less homes they are in the better off they will be in the long run. It's sad to say that but with the current laws in place and lack of education the breed can't take anymore hits and they are better left forgotten it will never be like it was 40 years ago. Too many restrictions placed on dog owners and too many psycho animal rights advocates trying to make it so animals have more rights than people.

9. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Some very wise words Sadie!

10. treezpitz

Well said Sadie!

The Diesel, I understood your point clearly. What I commented about is your comments "The wife and kids want a dog and if we get one in my mind I want one that will at least be a deterent to bad guys (earn its keep a little per say), "but at least some dogs look a little menacing and will keep the bad guys away."

The bold is what I'm saying is especially not what this breed needs and my comments still stand.

11. How is that hurting the breed?

So if I get a black lab vs a yellow lab because black dogs are more of a deterent that is bad for the breed?

12. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

.lol...lol....about 30 year ago,,there was guy i knew, kept a few pit's in his yard good set up with separate runs/etc....well his house was broke into,they wrecked his house,,then they let all his dog's out off their runs and off chains....and ya can imagine what happened ended up with 3/4 dead dog's,,,vet bills/etc/etc/,,plus he had to convince people what happened was nothing to do with him....what i'm saying is don't think a pit will make a good gaurd dog......some will.....but/??????????

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Agreed get an 200lb american bully with a big spiked collar around it's neck ! Those dogs along with the thugs are the reason why so many people think the APBT is supposed to be some "bad ass" dog that you don't want to approach or go near. The APBT's image is already tarnished enough if you wanted one for a deterrent you might as well get the real thing GSD, Rottie, Dobi, those dogs will not only deter anyone from coming on your property they will also do their job should someone decide to trespass. And if you wanted an APBT as a deterrent I certainly wouldn't go around telling anyone that lol.. But there are much scarier looking dogs out there that will make someone think twice about trying to break in your home a game dog isn't it.

14. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

How are you not getting it?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

15. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

You want a deterrent...get a good security camera system that'll be more of a deterrent than most anything or a fila cafib stock, lol, but since you don't want something than aggressive that's pretty much out....if you want something for the family I would suggest something small but durable with energy and a solid temperament. If you must have an apbt I suggest you do a lot of research, visit dog shows, get some real hands on experience for a good while. Get to know what you like in a dog and seek people out that have your desired qualities on their yard. Like many other breeds these bulldogs can and will vary greatly for yard to yard. A show bred dog might be a decent choice for your wants..this is only if you absolutely are dead set on getting an "apbt".

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

16. Ha...you guys get your panties in a wad awfully quick. Forget I said deterrent. For me that was an added bonus. Not why I want the dog.

17. Thanks I will definitely do this. That is why I came here. Want to discuss with people know know the dogs.

18. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I picked her from a liter at the shelter at 7 weeks. If she doesn't get exercised she'll destroy her beds, she'll chew on the siding of the house outside lol she's full of energy but she's awesome around my 3 yr old son and is safe with my dogs and cats.

Go to the shelter and meet some dogs :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I will never trust her with my little dogs or cats alone and also strange dogs. No dog parks or meeting dogs in the street.

20. treezpitz

"Ha...you guys get your panties in a wad awfully quick. Forget I said deterrent."

Fine, I forgot it.....but the reason I commented and said how I feel is because you DID say it.