1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Game bloodlines that are good with children?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by The Keep Book, Mar 14, 2015.

1. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

That's why any person that is trying to claim these dogs as anything else need too reevaluate what they are doing to the breed, only killing it slow.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

"All dogs bite, just a matter of when." I was told this when I was a kid, and I adopted this logic.

A tuned up prey-driven animal should never be allowed around children. If your kids want a pet, there's plenty of other types of dogs.

3. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lol I was brought up with a similar logic, if asked weather or not a dog would bite, my grandad would always say " well it's got teeth don't it"!

4. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

For the last thirty years, the Tobe ex Rose family has put very sound animals together... GrCh Hank and his nephew Jimmy Boots are two well known
    examples, but a majority of this family is exceptional with people... Some strains of Dirty Mary Little Boots and Captain America dogs are very affectionate and thrive under a family circumstance, with a sensable owner of coarse... Children can walk some of these dogs as thier sense to heel comes natural, and not being FIGHT CRAZY helps the situation ten fold...
    Other noted lines or individual producers of smart social bulldogs is the Ace GrCh IBM, GrCh Vengance, GrCH Llantes as well as Ch Jethro.
    Remember it takes both an exceptional person and bulldog, as well as a certian understanding of the breed and overall dog sense to accomplish this task...
    Some of us chain a dog up two or three years ,take them of the chain and expecting excellance, while others raise them at heel and mold excellance... Hard to believe if you dont know any different, BUT...
    I believe the practice of overstocking yards and spreading atttention thin is not in the best interest of the individual dog, while others spend family time walking dogs and socializing them, which gives them an extra edge in life... The more they use thier brains outside of work, the smarter worker they can be... They adapt better under stressfull circumstances and thrive off the human bond, its what makes any breed dog great is its desire to please man...

Being from the city, I noticed more people raise them in the house and spend alot more individual time with them...
    I also noticed country folk keep them like cattle and Ive been to yards that dogs didnt even have names???Tant claimed they needed to make a name???
    Not all city folk raise them at heel and not all country folk are so detatched, so seek out this type of person that suits your style...
    CajunB, petbulls are killing the breed just as fast as an ignorant wanna be dogfighters that make the gamedog look bad...
    But sensable dogmen that raised a gladiator and can walk it to the elementary to pick up the kids is something I ADMIRE and its what hooked me with the breed...
    After a couple of years of trolling the site, I realized that the people I perfer to be around are far and few... Everyone thinks the gamedog is either this or that, but most dont want to admit it is what ever you want from it... Any dog is only as good as the man in front of it...One reason I started posting my thoughts is because what I was reading was a certian mindset that seems to be the norm, the livestock stlye of raising them in numbers seems to gives you a better percentage because the lack of understanding how to raise an athlete or worker...
    SOME GREATS ARE BORN WHILE OTHERS ARE FORMED, BUT IF YOU HAVE BOTH YOUR CHANCES OF HAVING AN ACE INCREASES GREATLY...
    GrCh Mammy was a Theraphy dog, but then again she had some of the most sensible dogmen behind her...THE GREAT YANKEE BOYS!!!...

5. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

r.man...i grew up with so called nanny dogs,,,some off the best ones were also good []...what i saying is judge the dog as an indevidual...regardless off the breed..sure some lines throw good pet based dogs,,if someone wants a bull breed..theres other bull breeds that can be great with kids ie:kc..staffs/etc...even in them have seen some that were not suitable but on the whole..they can be one off the best kid dog......

6. Staub

Staub Big Dog

Excellent advice ELIAS'PISTOLA and I fully agree with you about putting the time into your dog.

7. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I'm guessing most of y'all didn't get to be around these dogs until you reached adulthood, huh? (Now y'all are going to say ya been around them since the womb, but that was different because...?)

8. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I was around them younger.... Feeding, watering and picking up shit. I'd say that started around 10, started walking them around 12. But my grandad lived about 4-5 miles from anybody so it wasn't like I was walking dogs out around people. On the average I believe these dogs would do fine being around a child, hell the most HA dog I ever had wasn't that way towards children only adults. I just don't think that these dogs should be bought and owned specifically as a pet for children. And as far as what's more detrimental to the breed that's merely each persons opinion. But I'm inclined to say I'd rather the Gamedog have a bad public image, than not to have gamedogs at all.

9. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I can agree with that, but the OP didn't give specifics about anything other than the questions which lines tend to be good with kids... Everybody else from there seemed to go to the left a bit.

10. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

well then in answer to his Q..take your pick........

11. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

pistola said it i saw the elantas dog playing around the neigbhourhood saying that we need to make the whole breed like what pistola is talking about hank rosie and the yankee boys good read pistola no exucses just well bred dogs

12. Backroad

Backroad Big Dog

13. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

thats what im talking about backroad if they topple and lick to death their cool but human aggression no way thats just me i hada uncle who had a champion and some of the young kids would pull his ears and he would let out a yelp and i would say to the kids hey dont do that and my uncle would say thats tickiing him he loves it and sure enough after i stopped the rough housing the dog would look sad and he didnt even grow up with kids i think he got lucky with the dog but i know their are good dogs out there that are the total package just that some so called dogmen dont think human agression is somthing to worry about. If you look though its probably 80% of this factor why the breed has bsl

14. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

So Jacob It is safe to assume you want a pet right? Most of us have working hounds. We must make an effort not to confuse the 2 type of owners and mind sets. The hard core people from the past is what has that awesome pet in your household. You
    can't love these dogs and kinda sorta look down on people still using them for there purpose. You can't honestly believe that you buy a 1500 dollar pup that its going to turn out the next Bullyson right? Theres a reason the hard core keep a few. There not all going to make it ( you do believe this right? ).
    If you buy a game bred pit bull and everything is perfect till the game bred hound did what he was bred to do what then, do you get rid of him for answering his calling?
    What I'm trying to say is simply you might have to go threw a few to find that perfect game bred animal that you have total control over and listen's to your every command, almost sounds like the hardcore pitman looking for his truly game pit dog to take to the square.
    I know the topic gets off track sometimes, but its only because there no simple answers when it come to the game dog, and I really mean it. You can spend 1500 a Lab, and it most likely will be a great family dog. The calling of instincts to most other breed is most conducive to everyday life.
    Now on to experiences and try to put input on the topic, back in about I wanna say 1999 or 2000 I befriend and dogma who based his yard on Carl Mimms hounds. He had a litter of pups of Mimms Happy. A very solid Redboy breed dog. I got to see and be around the whole litter for a bout a year. One animal stood out to me as exactly what I wanted. It took a lot of money and a promise not to ever breed him and I would also get no papers to make sure of this. This animal was raised pretty much on the chain for its first year. I got him home and I mean he just like back on my friends yard could turn it off and on like a light switch. Great with people and great with other animals. He would also go hard when called upon, but wasn't worth a bet. Super game but always got behind or took way to much bottom for my inexperienced self. His litter mate brother on the other hand was a monster, but to valuable to the owner to match ( Poor excuses but hey it was his so what can you do). Long story short, my mother wound up with the Redboy hounds and lived with her many great years and never once gave her a hard time while living in Brooklyn NY. Talk about heart broke when that hound passed. Still asks if I ever found a replacement for him years later, no dice.
    So you see that perfect animal they original poster seeks is as rare and an animal worth a bet in the pit. At least to me anyways Im not a breeder and never have I breed a gamedog in all my years into these hounds, I leave that to the experts who breed the winners and not pets.
    87buick

I know sometimes talking threw a keyboard you can't really say what you want to say so please take all this as an opinion based on my experience's and my believes.
    To the original poster I hope you find that dream dog, you might have to look at older dogs from experience yards like I once did.

15. olddog

olddog Big Dog

Back in the 70's I think you could have easily named the few lines (stud dogs) that produced Human Aggressive/Man Biters. In the 80's there were a few more. By the 90's they were becoming more prevalent, I feel, because more and more people were breeding for the bite and a fast win with temperament and gameness be damned !!! Now days I'd be looking at the sire/gyp and grandparents ... and a good long look at the pups from a breeder you can trust to give you a fair evaluation of each pup in a litter! In the 70's - 80's I had a very few young adults/dogs develop questionable temperaments. They were taken back (if placed w/ someone else) or removed from my program myself. I had no qualms about my Rx of a short walk over the hill and a lead pill. People like Bobby Hall (who I highly respect as a conditioner/handler) should have never bred the line of dogs he did. Read his books - man biters were produced and bred to
    - bad news for the breed. Would I have eliminated a dog like Bully Son - YUP! The way he acted, I would have never taken him out of Clemmons' yard in the first place! He was a rank cur and produced rank curs - I don't care what excuses you make for him or his sons. I don't want a 15-20 min. Ch. or Gr.Ch. that just bite their opponents down - I'd rather have a yard full of 2 - 3 hr. 1X game azzed winners w/ solid temperaments and sound bodies!

Olddog

Tlahuicole_73 likes this.
  16. 805tony

805tony Big Dog

Good post E.Pistola, I was able to raise some in the manner you spoke of and they were a joy to own and be around, I can't say for sure if it was the time I put into the particular hounds or if they just carried some smarts in them. That being said I'm with PostmanDan on this one, I follow his view and protocols regardless of any well behaved animals. Again nice post E Pistola

17. postmandan

postmandan Big Dog

maybe I can give some of ya'll a example of why I don't let children play with my bulldogs. years ago I had TR Cain he was the greatest with my kids. never did he even rough house with him. I bragged I had no worry about anything even a kidnaping when they was out back with him. one day the boys had company over and I heard screaming. I ran out and cain had my buddy on the ground. for some reason our kids got in a fight over toys like children can do. when the boy knocked shane down cain did what he thought he was supposed to do- he went to protect shane. his father got in the middle and was took down. now what my dog was perfect- if it had been a grown up but he wasn't so the dog was wrong- in some folks eyes. what I am saying is no I don't believe these dogs should be around children- for so many reasons. Dan

18. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

lots of good points from everyone we all want it all and we should because its what will keep this breed going or fail no easy road to the promised land but lets not let money determine what we want to see in the dogs because then morals and values start to become second. You know it they have em out there already fast freddy nothing wrong with him at all as long as he is displays it all gameness, abilty style smarts and i think they have a actuall number that says yes this dogs temmpernant is good i dont thiny they are pets leave them on the chain but nobody should be bit if the go to see them or when they are being handled when they need medical attention.

19. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...oldguy....points out a-lot off what has changed in these dog's..for the performance dog...maybe it's better..???....but for a true gamedog...???..as i think those who were around might see that game quantity in litters has dropped for these hard type..don't get it wrong,there is game ones amongest them...but over-all....people want winners...some think these type off dogs did not exsist back then ,,they did....just most would be P.T.S...why..???..these dogs were bred to be handled...when we say their not suitable(some) as pets,i think we all mean the latter...POSTMADEN...good post...NEVER ARGUE IN FRONT OFF SOMEONES DOG.....

20. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

good stuff and lets not say bad words here like short order dogs or blue dogs or american bully oh god ihave to throw up. This is a gamedog forum sodogs that can hunt for x amount of time depending on the harsness of the conditions should go to the top of the list and then add all the other qualities man what a beauty that would be Game, smart. athletic yada yada