1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ftao Lee D

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jacko, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i dont know alot about ontario knives, but the rat 1 is made in taiwan and as you can see has the RAT symbol on the blade, so????
    either way it is well worth the money i paid for it. i remember when folks thought AUS 8 was the best shit out there...theres better now, but it does the job just fine. i been cutting all sorts of shit with this knife trying to dull it and its holding up well. the finish on the blade is kinda cheesy, its gonna wear off, but fuck it. then it just looks like a hard used knife LOL

2. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

yep, ive ordered a few from there and i dont have a bad thing to say about em. usually i order from bladehq...their prices arent bad either

4. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

Bladehq got good prices but they dont ship overseas, thats why I've been using knifecenter. LeeD, do you have any other RAT models besides the RAT-1? I've been thinking of adding a couple of those to my collection. I know Im going to get the RTAK2 as a backpacking/camping/survival knife

5. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

no man, i sure dont, but i wouldnt be afraid to give em a try at all.

backpack/camping/survival? BK2 all day long bud.

6. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Buddy has the RAT3 he got it over in afganastan from a guy he was working with.
    he like it, he showed me when I when I told him I got the Esee. He said it is a good knife. it looks good.

7. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i'll add a little input concerning the camping/backpackin/survival ideas....when i head out for some time away from the real world, and spend a couple nights in the woods, three items i ALWAYS bring with me are, a 4-5" knife, a small camp axe/hatchet, and a machete. if you can use those three correctly, you will have all you need for cutting/chopping tools.

the reason why i mentioned this is because i read so many threads on the knifeforums with a member asking for advice on the do-it-all knife....and i suppose you could get by with just a knife, but i am a firm believer in "the right tool for the job". just something to think about.

here is what im talking about....all Condor tools. a mini-bushlore knife, 18" woodworkers axe, and an 18" machete.
    this trio can be had for around $100 and are quality tools. none of em are this pretty anymore, theyve all seen some hard use and are holding up very well.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  8. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

I agree with you. Im a big knife guy, so when backpacking Im always carrying a big and a smaller blade for the little stuff. Big knife for batoning and general camp stuff.

9. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

VERY IMPRESSIVE and TRADITIONAL knife... Thanks for sharing!! Wish I had one, my Kbar will have to do.

10. Sabong1

Sabong1 Big Dog

I agree with you on this.

11. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i don"t carry my axe anymore lol. but i do take a butchers knife with a 12 in blade. tis handy , lo
    a bit like a small machete. been everywhere with me and i got drunk once and burned the handle on a fire ,lol but i will get a pic up . broken handle n all :D

12. jacko

jacko CH Dog

here it is . and a very old sharpener which belonged to my grand parents.. it does the job very well indeed.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i forgot to add that my granny is 102 years old..lol

14. jacko

jacko CH Dog

here"s a handy little knife. a mini Swiss army knife.[​IMG]

15. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

two of mans greatest inventions...portable fire and the swiss multi tool

16. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

check out this one....on a Ka-Bar section of the bladeforum i was advised i shouldnt use my 1272 due to its rarity and value (but i will anyway LOL), so last week i ordered the D2 Extreme. similar to the traditional Ka-Bar combat knife but with D2 tool steel instead of 1095. D2 holds an edge longer, but due to its toughness it can be a bit more difficult to resharpen....not an issue for me, i already have a couple knives in D2 and have had success sharpening them with both ceramic and diamond stones.

i opted for the leather sheath, i prefer it to kydex. 7" blade of KaBar goodness...the guys at deer camp are gonna love this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  17. jacko

jacko CH Dog

18. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

nice jacko...looks to be what most nowadays seem to call a bushcrafter type knife....what the specs on that one?

19. MCS

MCS CH Dog

20. jacko

jacko CH Dog

this is what they say.. Ebony Handle (no image available at present) £139.95

The Bushcraft knife is regarded as the utimate back-woodsman's knife. Made from 01 carbon steel, it is through ground to give a superb cutting edge, combining a great strength with portability.
    Buffalo handle.
    Rockwell hardness 56/58.
    Through ground to give the best edge.
    The "must have" multi-purpose survival knife, hand made in Sheffield, England, supplied with hand crafted leather sheath. Fire steel optional