1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ftao Lee D

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jacko, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jacko

jacko CH Dog

my dad gave me a scotish military stocking knife a skean dhu. bloody sharp it was, i cut myself quite deep with it, he gave me a slap and i never saw it again. lmao
    as i get older my interest has been awakened.

2. jacko

jacko CH Dog

one of these. a skean dhu
    [​IMG]

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

very cool jacko...i wouldnt have known what the hell to call that knife aside from a dirk...kinda like what we call a "boot knife".
    scottish design huh? neat as hell

*add...no insult intended, but was that only worn as traditional ceremonial garb now, with a kilt and all? just curious, i know knife laws are pretty strict in the UK nowadays....that plus i really dont know shit about knife designs from your side of the pond. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  4. jacko

jacko CH Dog

from what i can gather Lee. scots can still carry them as long as they are in traditional dress, kilt n all thay also carry a dirk which is really a small sword.
    i think i might get in a bit of bother if the cops stopped me with one tucked in my boot though. lol

5. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

learn something new every day.
    and its too bad a fella might get mixed up with the law for carrying a knife like that.
    imo it is strictly a defensive design, but its not so outrageous that a fella shouldnt be trusted to carry one if they choose to.

id like one...i wear boots daily;)

6. nmdogs

nmdogs Big Dog

Lee,

I was thinking the same thing vg-10,aus8
    I have heard aus8 can be a good steel
    When done right ! I was also thinking about
    Japanese white and blue steel ive also.seen
    What they call katana blade steel that came
    In blanks I would like a wakizashi made of that

Nmdogs

7. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

heres an ESEE 3 i ordered without a sheath... i dont like kydex, so i had a leather one made for it.
    they both showed up on wednesday....it never works out like that for me, one usually comes a week before the other.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  8. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Nice, I just pm'd you about the Esee knives before I saw this. How do you like the grips on it? would you go with that canvas or a G10 grip?

9. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

pm sent, and i might be able to hook ya up ;).....
    and i havent used the knife enough yet to give an honest opinion on the handle yet.

as for canvas vs G10, i like both materials, but imo whats more important is the shape of the handle. depending on your hand size, what you are doing with the knife and the shape of the handle (some are more rounded edges, some are more squared), both materials can create "hot spots" on your hand after extended use.

10. jacko

jacko CH Dog

has anyone got an opinion on leatherman multi-tools esp the blades?
    i found thatyou can get a good edge on them but they blunt really quick.

11. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

that hasnt been my experience, ive had a Super Tool for years and it holds an edge like a champ.
    i'll put it this way, i like it so much that it has a permenant place in my Maxpedition bag that i carry with me when i leave town and that badboy is loaded with tons of gear so every bit of space counts. its simply to darn handy to leave at home

12. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i use mine at work and mainly cut the plastic straps on packs of bricks and rubberoid damp proof material . i used to use a 12inch butchers knife which was more than capable. but i"m not allowed by law to carry it these days.lmao

13. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i was under the impression that if you can justify that you are carrying a knife that is "illegal" for work, they let you slide on that???
    thats just what i was told by some of the members on the overseas board im a member of

14. jacko

jacko CH Dog

tis health and safety gone mad Lee. on some sites i go on you arent allowed a fixed bladed knife, you have to use the spring loaded stanley types.

15. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

thats absolutely crazy. any blade can be deadly (scissors are a perfect example)
    but it seems its just a matter of which type of knife is "scarier":rolleyes:

16. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Well my Izula II finally came in Sat. I am loving it, awesome little fixed blade.
    Love the sheath too, fits perfect in back or front pants pocket. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

very cool man, thats a handy little knife.
    with that sharpshooter you have no excuse for not having it on ya when you need it. they are an excellent product.

18. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Everything is quality made. I posted up on the knife thread on the bass forum and already have a member interested.
    I wouldn't have know where to find that sheath if you didn't post it here first LOL but that is a sweet deal.

19. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

what i usually do with them pocket sheaths is soak em until theyre real soft, wrap the knife in saran wrap put it in the sheath and let it dry.
    youll get a nice tight formed fit...theyll practically snap in and out like kydex

20. 805tony

805tony Big Dog

Anyone here into tomahawks or hatchets? I've been looking into them also I would like to try and make me a war club from a rootball when I find the right one..I appoligize if this is off topic here.