1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Form follows function?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by fblb, Jul 2, 2010.

1. fblb

fblb Top Dog

Personally I don't believe form follows function in this breed, but I would like to hear what y'all think. Do you believe form follows function? If so what makes you believe this? If not...why not? Thought this would be an interesting thread idea. Let's hear it.

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

of course it does. Its not something that is necessary to get the job done but it will give an advantage. Im not saying it determines the better performer by any means but it would help an individual. I wouldnt necessarily breed for form but im not gonna let my line get all deformed and shit bc that will cause a decrease in performance. I think if u just breed the best performers u will continue to have decent FUNCTION be the dogs those are USUALLY the dogs that are performing. JMO

3. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

IMO, it can't hurt. But if the heart ain't there, it can be the most perfectly conformed dog in world and it ain't gonna matter. Now if you have two dogs with an equal amount of drive but one is built for it better, he has a better chance. But the key word is chance and anything can happen. I personally don't believe the better dog always won.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  4. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

Function dictates form. The alligator dogs are some of the ugliest dogs around, but still functional. Just look at the different forms some of the top dogs take. I've seen heavy redboy dogs so out at the shoulder it looked like they couldn't walk. Let them loose different story. Seen a bitch with a whippet head that could shut it like few others. Function creates the the next form.

5. I think with these dogs that statement was meant to be applied to a range of "forms". I wouldn't take the statement as a rule or something always true, of course there are exceptions. The way I personally interpret that statement is more that, everything on a bulldog should serve some type of purpose. They are not a breed for excess or looks, but for work and their form should reflect the working function.

An example of the opposite would be an XXL Bully - excess without function.

I know I'm kind of putting a looser interpretation on the statement but I think that is the only way to make it applicable.

6. noblebostons

noblebostons Big Dog

form follows function because- function without form is still FUNCTION. Form with out function is USELESS. Obviously there is an ideal that is fully functional and has pleasing form as well, but if you had to pick one or the other, you'd better pick function!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

???form follow function????:confused:

8. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

:goodposting:

9. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Generally thinking, yes. Think cheetahs. Racing Greyhounds. I believe the "form" is not as consistent in game dogs because there is such a MENTAL aspect to being successful; but, as Dream Pits stated, form will be important when all things are equal.

I have been appalled at some in the game dogs who seem to take great pride in their deformed, game dog -- only to make the point that, "I don't breed for looks". In other words, having a deformed dog is supposed to prove something...taking it THAT far, I don't like.

Dreamer

10. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

I've heard- When determination is in question always breed to the well formed dogs!
    I don't subscribe to that notion! Form will always fallow funtion with me. But form will play a large roll in performance up until the invisible and most important trait comes into play!

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

in performance animals ur always see them shaped a certain way to fit that function such as the deep chest of cheetahs and greyhounds. now i wouldnt breed based on conformation but i think that if breeding performers conformation will take care of itself

12. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

Yes, form does follow function, BUT there are a wide range of forms that suits the functional aspects of the breed. For example, a dog with easty westy feet tend to have better balance and harder to get taken down, or so some people have told me. Then you have dogs roach backs. Apparently the roach back allows for a stronger spring in their steps and faster acceleration. Conformation wise, roach and easty westy is just horrible.

13. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

btw, I'd also like to add that function always follows form, but form doesn't necessarily follow function. Look at all the pretty show dogs out there with their championships and grand championships. Yet almost none can catch a hog or perform the task they were meant to.

14. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

You can have all the "want to" in the world but with out the right tools nothing is gonna get done, Same way with, you may have all the right tools but you don't have a "want to", then nothing is going to get done either.... Balance and Specializing may seam like they shouldn't go together but they can, and when they do then that is a force. You shouldn't sacrifice one other the other, The idea is, Be superior in your endeavor, Perfection is the goal, for average never holds Greatness to its name. Mind and Body perfection in One is what we all strive to get.

15. steinlin

steinlin Big Dog

The structure/form determines how it will function.
    The condition of the structure/form determines how well it will function
    Deviation from the structure/form will cause it to function differently, dependant on how slight or excessive.

"For example, a dog with easty westy feet tend to have better balance and harder to get taken down, or so some people have told me."

Dogs with easty westy feet are better balanced and harder to take down as compared to dogs that are'nt deformed?
    If they are speaking literally, then maybe those dogs they saw, were, but if they are saying that the 'easty westy legs' makes most dogs better functioning for what they were bred for...then I strongly disagree, as history shows.

Deformaties or deviations from form, depending on how severe, causes the dog to compensate for the deviation and function differently. Sometimes very well, but it seems to me, it would'nt be something to base a breeding program on?

Just my humble opinion

16. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

Yep and that is exactly my point on there being multiple "forms" since dogs that don't follow another dog's form can very well still be a great dog. I also agree on that you should not base a program off of deformities, especially easty westy. However, a few dogs had them and they more than compensated. I think the bottomline is, heart is what dictates a bulldog, not form or conformation.

17. I think that if you look at the better performing dogs you will find they also posses excelent form as well. Due to the type of work this breed does a dogs physical qualities are just as important as the non-physical ones such as gameness, ability...etc. and it would seem that in this breed more than any other, form and function are linked together and are the rule more than the exception.

18. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

thank you gringo. gameness is number one quality overall. but if the dog doesnt have the build to do what its mind is attempting then its not gonna work, usually...

19. Boze

Boze Top Dog

when choosing a stud dog or brood bitch you want both and you need both. if you base your line on a deformed dog then you are going backwards. there are so many good dogs that it is easy to find one with both form and function. IMO they should go hand and hand

20. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

:cheers::goodposting::cheers: