1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

food choices

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by meno222, Aug 9, 2007.

1. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

after reading every thread on food, i have narrow it down to a few,but iam not really good on understanding the ingridents. what would say would be my best choice,there is a placed a few minutes away from my job that has these foods.

canidae
    california natural
    wellness
    innova
    dvp

out of these five what would be your top two.they have innova evo but to me that has to much protein and iam considering the innova dog,

if it helps i jog with my dog 3 times a week and go walk some trails in the mountains so he is very active. i would really aprecciate the help,right now he is on kirklands brand from costco and is having some skin issues and its not mange(got scrape) thanks

2. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Try the EVO. I bet you won't be disappointed.
    If you're dog wasn't exercising, the protein might be too much but with an active dog, you should be fine. Those skin issues should clear right up!

You can't really go wrong with regular Innova or anything else you listed either though. You'll just have to find which your dog does best on.

Oh, but I would stay way from DVP only because they have had some products recalled. While I'd hope the problems have been taken care of by now, better safe than sorry....

3. REACTiON

REACTiON Pup

i for one am happy with canidae, my dogs do great on it...

4. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

is the regular innova dog food consider a premiun dog food.i was looking for the dog food grading post but i couldnt find it.

5. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

Solid Gold also makes very high quality foods. I've had my dogs on both SG and Wellness, my girl Dolce is currently on the chicken Wellness due to the other food making her skin irritated (high quality,just a specific protein allergy).
    For the active dog I'd say the Innova Evo or the Solid Gold Barking at the Moon or their large dog line, both high protein foods. Both are great either way ya go and tend to have higher protein values in even their maintenance formulas.

6. Chopper

Chopper Big Dog

I personally feed canadae, an sometimes some diamond.

7. jamonit

jamonit Pup

go with the innova but it is real pricey nutro ultra will be equall for a few dollars less

8. Not trying to be a prude.....but there is nothing even close to these dog foods, quality wise, innova is way better feed....:
    INNOVA:
    http://www.innovapet.com/products/default.asp?panel=in&id=1

Nutro Ultra:
    http://www.ultraholistic.com/adult.shtml
    click on the adult dry kibble...they wont let you copy and paste the info....

As far as the OP, I am sorry but I would have to reccommend ordering TimberWolf online and having them deliver to you.....
    If you do not want to spend it then I would suggest innova....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  9. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

one more question after reading the ingredients there is a difference in the calories per cup.this is the one for innova dog.(557 kcal/cup (5.6 oz = 1 cup)some of the other brands have less, the higher the amount the better it is. or is it better when its lower. thanks

10. meno222 i'd say the higher calorie count comes from less filler in the better foods. you are buying quality protien/fats in that food vs. corn and crap fillers in cheap stuff. usually with all high quality feeds you can feed less per day.

11. ...that rating dog food post is actually in the articles section and nutrition subsection on the forum. http://www.game-dog.com/forums/article.php?a=230

12. mansch

mansch Big Dog

I feed wellness core, its a awesome and grain free!

13. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

With my experience with all those foods except California Natural (however, isn't that made by the same company that makes Nature's Variety? or am I mistaken?), Innova is by far the best. DVP's Ultra Premium comes in second. My dogs looked horrible on Canidae (dull, dry, flaky coats which I've had numerous people concur that their dogs look the same on that food) & they pooped a lot. On Wellnes, which I tried several years ago, the dogs pooped all day long, had large soft stools, and awful awful gas. On DVP's their coats looked wonderful and their stools were few and firm. Same goes with Innova. I've noticed a bit glossier coat with Innova. With both the last two, the dogs' bodies were also very healthy looking (no "pot bellies" or anything of the sort. I also supplement with raw a few days a week.

14. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Well, now that we talkin about food (again lol). Id like to get an opinion from everyone on Acana Orijen Adult (Canada kibble) and Luposan Sport (German natural food). I switched from Luposan to Acana because the dogs were healthy but they did poop too much and too often, now with Acana i see they poop good but less frequent and the 42% protein (orijen) vs 25% from Luposan might be good for my pup and they had some extra things for the same money as Luposan.

15. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

thanks for the link, innova dog had good ratings of 114 just like the evo,i think iam going to go with innova dog food. thanks hopefully my dog does good on it, if not ill try the other foods.

16. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

innovas a great food man. should work well. i can c/s with everything else tht was said mostly. depends on the dog for canidae. i know one dog whos fantastic on it! my dog didnt do as well as expected but i switched to TW and hes looking great. Merricks is a good brand if you can find tht. the quality control is up there and its a good food ingredient wise. ive had good results in the past with it. but innova should work out well.

17. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

never seen luposan but the orijen looks good ingredient wise but tht stuff is expensive!

18. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Innova is a wonderful food. And just remember to find something and stick with it. It takes approx. 8 weeks of feeding the same food to see the full effects (although you will begin to see an improvement in as little as 2 weeks ;) ).

19. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

i looked into wellness core and i like it cause it had less protein than the evo, or barking at the moon foods,i think iam going to try this food first.how much are you paying for the bag. thanks

20. Ella

Ella Pup

I feed Orijen since a while (they lowered prices :D ) and prefer it anytime above Luposan. Orijen has much more KCAL per kg and in my opinion more meat. But Luposan has better prices. I can't get my dog to eat luposan, he just won't eat it, whatever I try and when he eats it he gets diarrea. But most of all I feed Orijen since I can't get food like Innova, Diamond Naturals, Wellness, Canidea, Solid Gold or Timberwolf.