1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fleas

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by OldFortKennels, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ok I have two situations I have never faced before.

1. living in the city......(temp)
    2. Neighbors and their pets!!

The other night I was brigning in one of our pups and noticed 2 fleas on the dog. I have never had a problem with fleas and treating the dogs is not a problem. My question is what would you use to treat the yard that is not harmfull to the dogs. I realize I cant keep them out of my yard as I am surrounded by other pets now but I do want to minimize it. The dogs are all treated with Advantage, we hadn't started the pups as they just turned 12 weeks but we will now. So what is good and safe for the yard?

2. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

Bayer Tree and Shrub...same ingedient as advantage

3. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Ok there are a few things you can use.

You can either buy Precor (S-Methoprene) is an IGR (Insect Growth Regualtor). That is the stuff that when you hire an exterminator to come out that is usually what they use. Or you can buy Amdro Fire Ant (active ingredient is S-Methoprene) Same stuff but less exspensive.

Or you can use Over and Out Fire Ant Bait. The active ingredient is Fipronil same as in Frontline. It is a granule and you can put it in a spreader. Both are labeled for Ants but both work on fleas.

You can buy either of these products at Ace hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, or a feed store.

S-Methoprene that is the active ingredient in Frontline Plus (Fipronil/S-Methoprene) it is an IGR (Insect Growth Regualtor).

Frontline Top Spot is just fipronil
    Frontline Plus is a combo of Fipronil and S-Methoprene

The adult fleas you see on your pet are only 5% of any flea infestation, the remaining 95% are living as immature stages in your environment.

I use Frontline and Over and Out Fire Ant bait. I spread it in the dogs chain spots. I live in a high wildlife area. And god knows what travels through our 16acres. I do not have problems with fleas.

Hope this helps.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->