1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

FLA pitbulls in need of a home

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by TruPitLver, Apr 7, 2006.

1. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

Hi everyone, by now, most of you know about me. But for those who don't, or forgot...I have a 1 1/2 year old unspayed female (she is going to be spayed ASAP). I desperately want to rescue a pit bull after reading the post about the one in SC. Does anyone know of any pit bulls in Florida, preferably Central Florida who need homes? I am not positive that I will be able to adopt, but the chances are good. I really want to help!!!

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

You should check all the local shelters and they will tell you if they have any. Or check recue groups in your area. I know they are illegal in Dade County.

3. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

4. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

Yea and what's so funny to me about pit bull being illegal in Dade and Sarasota County, is that in my previous search for a blue pit, I came across 2 breeders in Dade County who supposedly have ukc pr pits, etc. They are trying to act legit, but it's illegal as hell to breed or bring in any new pit bull to dade county...Which BTW is the reason why I won't move there like i wanted. Nor will I vacation there..Unless they lift the ban I WILL NEVER GOTO MIAMI!!!!

5. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

I should bring Lexas with me to go look for a pit at the shelters right?

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

yea u should bring her because u would be surprized how ur dog will act around strange dogs. I know this personally because my dog was raised around my neighbors pit since my dog was 10 weeks old, they are both males and get along great but just recently my dog flipped out on another dog at the vets for no reason.

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Are you really prepared to bring another dog into the home and face the consequences? There is a very high chance that they will not get along, and a fight will ensue. Can you safely break a pitbull fight by yourself, trust me-its not as easy as it sounds...especially if both dogs are loose. If one dog is on a chain or tied up, its a bit easier, but when they are both free you break one loose, and the other dog is just following you around, continuing the fight. Can you live with two dogs that absolutely despise eachother and want to fight all the time. Its a chore to have two dogs living under the same roof that do not get along. What are you going to do if this is the scenario down the road? Most people arent ready, or responsible enough to house two full grown dogs that cannot stand the site of eachother for the rest of their lives...and sadly, one of the dogs just goes back to the shelter :(

8. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

Well, if for whatever reason, that situation came up...I would have to find a new home for the new dog. I'd have to go through hell for a while keeping them separated until I could find a home for the new dog.

9. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

if you can not 100% keep both dogs even if they have to be seperated 24/7 and on a crate rotation then do not get another dog.. there are too many good pit bulls dying in shelters every day, and if you cant commit to keeping both dogs until the day they die even if it means 24/7 crate/rotate separation then dont get another one. keep it at the one you have.

think long and hard.. why would you return the dog to the shelter if you had to separate 24/7? this is ingrained in the breed, dog aggression, so why return a dog to a shelter if it shows its heritage?

i have 3 dogs, one is a pitx. i thought long and hard before i took him, and i still to this day will never give him or the others up if he becomes dog aggressive and wont tolerate the other 2 .. when you adopt, you adopt for life, not for convenience, or lack of...

10. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

Well, I'm sorry but I will not have a dog permently in my house who has attacked my Lexas. I would find him a good home. One in which there are no other dogs, so that he would be an only dog. I wouldn't take him back to the shelter, or to any other shelter/rescue for that matter. That's why I said that I'd go through hell until I could find a home. I am getting another dog so that Lexas will have a "brother", not to have another dog that has to be separated 24/7...That would be completely pointless.

11. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

but there is a chance if you adopt another pit bull that at some point they might not get along at all. thats what i am saying... why do you feel she needs a brother?? you could adopt a 2nd dog, and 3 years from now they could get into a fight over space or lint on the floor and have to be seperated 24/7.. why get another dog if you know you would be returning one to the shelter if they got into a fight?? if my dogs got into a fight i would not get rid of one because it hurt the other one, they are pit bulls, theywere bred to fight other pits that is there heritage.. sure, there is a 50-50 chance they will get along and never fight, but there is that chance they could ..

they are not disposable.. you cant just get one from a shelter, give it a home, and if it gets into a fight with your dog then bring it back to the shelter..

if you cant understand the breed, then dont get one.. go to www.realpitbull.com and read up on the breed.

12. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

First of all, please exuse me if I seem to have attitude, etc today. I have had a VERY bad weekend and I feel miserable and angry and....well you get the point. So anyway, please I'll try to remember that you all have nothing to do with my personal life, but if I get quick at the mouth, just ignore it, b/c it is just my feelings from my problems coming out...

my reply:
    I understand the breed. And I know that there are things that they can fight over like food and toys and when those things are not around can be best of friends. Why I say she needs a "brother" is b/c she hates to be alone. She gets sad when I leave, when we leave her friend Skyler's house, etc. She's sad when she doesn't have someone to play with. She will fight over food and toys, I know that. I know how to break up a fight. I actually just had to last week. Lexas and Skyler started to fight over a toy. That's when I learned that she will fight over toys too. Luckily I didn't need to use a break stick. Yes I know that in a lot of fights involving pits, a break stick is a neccessary tool.

13. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

dont worry, i understand, everyone has bad days...

so if you broke up fights already, and you know she will fight over food., toys, etc, why even bother to get another pit? why not just leave it alone and spend all your quality time with her?? with a 2nd dog, that also means LESS attention for her, as you now have to give your attention to another dog... she might look sad when you leave, but trust me, she is not pining away dying for you to return.... its better to be safe, and if you know she will scrap over toys/food, etc, why risk bringing another pit into the house??

dont mess with FATE, because what if your dog kills the new dog? then what will you do? or if the new dog kills your dog?

while i understand you think she needs a brother, she is NOT human, and doenst have human emotions... the more time you can spend with her is better, then dividiing up your time between 2 dogs.. hell i have 3 dogs, all power breeds... i work full time, and have to divide my time amongst 3 dominant dogs.. i would love to have just one, so that i can do more with that one, and not feel neglectful with the other 2... but mine will be with me until the day they pass on, i woould never ever think of sending one to the shelter if they got into a fight and hurt my pit, or vice versa..

maybe you should sit back and put down on paper the good vs the bad of a 2nd dog.. and then maybe if its in black and white it might seem wiser to NOT get another dog, especially when you say you will return the dog to the shelter if it hurts your dog..

better yet, instead of adopting, why not FOSTER?? this way, you can have a 2nd dog that will be getting a chance at a foster home to be adopted out, and you can see how much work a 2nd dog is.

14. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

It's great that you really want to help out and adopt another dog so Lexus has a playmate and brother, BUT it COULD very well end up like playing Russian Roulette; not a matter of IF they will get into a fight but WHEN.

A meet and greet at the shelter will let you know if the two dogs will tolerate each other, but LIVING together is an entirely different matter.

We had Birdie for FIVE MONTHS before we saw tension and I ended up breaking up fight. I was by myself in the the house with a 3 year old. Fortunately my 3 year old remembered what she was taught - went to her room and shut the door until I told her to come out.

And both of my dogs are great with other dogs, we have canine company over frequently and dog sit for our friends and we have never had a fight.

Re-homing a pitbull is not an easy task. It could take you months to find the right home and in the mean time you have an accident waiting to happen.

If you don't own your house - I would truly reconsider, because you are looking at a commitment of at least 10 years if not 12 or more. Landlords are not too willing to rent to people with one pitbull, let alone two.

From my own experience, letting a dog go that you love is heart breaking. We had to let Rhianna, Petey's sister/ littermate, go when we forced to move because the landlord sold the house we were renting. She went to a great home, a good friend of my husband who built an in-ground swimming pool so she could do physical therapy daily to help with her displasia. But even now, six years later, I still miss her.

Okay - that being said, I want you to know that you are not being picked on. We just want you to understand the responsibility you are undertaking by adopting another pitbull. We are trying to let you know what some of the things that you need to take into consideration are so you can really think about it.

15. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

IDK right now. I'm sorry but my body aches (I worked 11 hours roofing Sat.), I'm so exausted (I only got 2-3 hours of sleep Sat night/Sun morn) and I'm hungry (I haven't even has time to eat a full meal since Friday night). Plus I"m having trouble with my fiancee....So I'm not really too excited to think about all of this right this second. I won't even be able to get another dog until Sept at the earliest anyway...

16. mnp13

mnp13 Pup

Hello,

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the other posters. If you plan to dump your new dog if they end up not getting along then you have no business getting another dog.

A dog is a perminant life commitment, not a 'until it gets too hard' commitment. Crate and rotate is a fact of life for many dog owners, you run that risk when you add another dog. Accept the risk and the consequences or don't add to your family.

Your dog does not need a friend. That is a human concept that you are projecting on her. You would be crazy to ever leave them out alone together when you are not home, so they won't be "keeping each other company" anyway.

If she has already shown aggression to other dogs to the point of fighting, I am willing to BET that your dog will not tolerate her long term. Aggression is aggression, and though you can control it outside the home it will eventually surface. Once they have a small though serious spat, you are on the road to perminant separation - if it doesn't have to happen this second. Many dogs never tolerate the other dog (sometimes any dog) again after even a little scrap.

She is an adult, and getting her fixed at this point may not alleviate the behaviors of a mature intact dog, including the territorial instinct that is often lessened when dogs are altered before sexual maturity. She is already aggressive over resources, at some point she will throw down over something and it will be on.

Marty likes this.
  17. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

Like you, I am also looking for a second dog to add to my household. It's been a pretty long search and I have come up empty handed many times because, again like you, my final deciding factor is my dog and how he likes the other dog. If he says no, I say no, as I don't want to be crating and rotating for their whole lives.

But my difference is, my dog isn't a pit bull. I am not looking at pit bulls or breeds that have dog aggression bred into them for my second dog. In my line lof work I need a dog (or two) that I can throw in the car, bring anywhere with me, and have around other dogs of different temperments/ages/breeds/etc without worrying that my dogs will be fighting with other people's dogs, or with each other because they are all hyped up.

Of course, with any dog of any breed there is always the possibility that they will become sworn enemies. If that point comes I will have to suck it up and crate and rotate. I won't be happy about it but I will do it.

I am committed to the animals that I adopt. Example: my rabbit. I am her fourth home. She is VICIOUS with anything that is not a human or a dog. I have seen her attack rats, chinchillas, other rabbits, cats and ferrets. She also is extremely destructive having ruined more phone chords than I can count, one very expensive heater (not plugged in, don't worry), a few doorways, and a dresser in addition to numerous other smaller items (high school yearbook *shakes angry fist*). So now I have to work around her, live around her, and not live with her. Is it easy or enjoyable? Absolutely not! It sucks. And frankly I have learned my lesson about not falling in love with animals simply because they are adorable and need a home. She has taught me a lot about rescue animals in general, and I will love that rabbit until the day she passes on. And she will pass on IN MY HOME and not after being tossed into yet another home. I've made a commitment to her, even though she had taken a chunk out of one of my old rats.

Especially with pits since you know that they had dog aggression in their lines, and you have already seen your own dog get aggressive over posession issues, I don't think another pit would be a good addition if, like myself, you're not prepared to crate and rotate if necessary. It sucks because they're awesome dogs, but you just have to step back and look at it realisticaly without throwing any emotion in.

18. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

Well, she was great with my old dog I had (unfortunately my old dog, Cleo, a chow chow and huskey mix, passed away.) They fought over foos once and after that I made sure that they were feed separately.

What I said about fighting over toys, Lexas isn't even the one who started that fight. She only snapped back at Skyler. But fighting is fighting, regardless of who started it...

It may be true scientifically that dogs don't have human emotions, etc. But I just want to know then why do wolves live in packs? I always thought part of the reason was on some level friendship.

19. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

wolves are not pits. they live in social packs with a strict hiarachy.. a pit bull was bred to fight.. not a wolf.. and, if you are working 10 + hours that doesnt leave much time for 2 dogs.. i would seriously reconsider getting another pitbull and just enjoy the dog you have now.. everyone else has valid points as well.

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

You dont get dogs bred for CANINE COMBAT, canine friends. Bulldogs have been bred for hundreds of years to love all on two legs, and do combat with those on 4. A bulldogs best friend is its master-not another dog. They thrive on human-interaction, not so much animal-interaction as other breeds do.