1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fish oil?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by The Diesel, Aug 28, 2010.

1. What kind of fish oil are you guys using? I dont know much bout it but need to be supplementing it more often. Im currently giving human grade capsules but am about to run out. Is some stuff better than others? Could i leave it in a cabinet or will the cats go nuts for it? Any info provided would be great.

2. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

MaxEpa capsules is one option since they do not contain high amounts of a+d vitamins. Most people seem to prefer salmon oil for the same reason.

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

:confused: if you dont know much about it, how do you know you need to use it more often?

you are looking for omega 3-thats the biggest beneficial ingredient, label shop and see if there is anything else in there (additives, etc) human grade is fine

have you considered feeding mackerel?

4. MCS

MCS CH Dog

If you purchase the capsules again, look at the type of fish used, look for mackeral salmon etc....ones with sardine are less of a grade. Also look for Molecularly Distilled, this is the only safe method to remove contaminants. The main ingredients you are looking for are the EPA and DHA.

5. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

6. Yas

Yas Big Dog

7. Your right, i dont know that i need it, im just assuming. My boys got sensitive skin so i figured it would help. Ill check to see what in the stuff if been giving him when i get home. I dont feed any fish but am not against it for any reason, i just havent.

8. Yas

Yas Big Dog

9. madboy

madboy Big Dog

how about lookin up grizly salmon oil, its been taken care of ..........just right for our little devils;)
    every day for 9 or so months :dogdrink:

10. Kuntry

Kuntry Big Dog

hey what does it do?

11. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

I have had much better results with using coconut oil, than I ever did with salmon oil, flaxseed oil, wheatgerm oil, vitamin e oil, or borage oil. My dogs love the taste. I use it on their skin topically, if they get an irritation. Plus is doesn't leave their breath smelling horrible.

12. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I use grizzly salmon oil here

13. ROCCITY

ROCCITY Big Dog

14. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

^ anchovy and sardine...those are the lowest grade oils out there ( most commonly used fishes aswell)

15. ROCCITY

ROCCITY Big Dog

Rally Racer: Please explain your post below. An Omega-3 fat is an Omega-3 fat and is found in Salmon, Sardines, Anchovies, Tuna, etc. The Omega-3 Fats is what you are trying to get by taking fish oil pills.

WILD sardines and anchovies are actually preferred as they have a shorter lifespan; therefore they have less exposure to less toxins such as mercury and the like.

16. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Ya... that's what I have as well.

17. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

Roccity
    just out of my head, what RR says has to do with the extracting procedure and the final product produced, this doesn't contradict what you say about lifespan etc. Just an opinion, no actual knowledge.

18. ROCCITY

ROCCITY Big Dog

Guys- One thing to remember is that you are buying Fish Oil for it's Omega-3 Fats. Many people believe that fish oil and Omega-3 is the same thing but they aren't. Fish oil contains Omega-3 just like Milk contains Calcium.

Whether the Omega-3 is coming from Salmon, Sardines, Tuna, etc shouldn't be concern and as I stated above WILD sardines, anchovies and the like are actually perferred as the have less exposure to toxins. Your main concern should be the amount of Omega-3 contained in your fish oil pill!

Most retail-grade fish oils contain about 30% Omega-3... leaving the other 70% to be made up of useless fillers such as saturated fats, Omega-6, cholesterol, etc. I recommend Kirklands above because it has a great cost/benefit ratio. It gets the job done without costing you a fortune. You can spend more for grizzly salmon oil and the like if you want... but don't be fooled into thinking you are giving your dog something better... At least with the kirklands you know it is made for human consumption and has been puried by molecular distillation.

Another thing for dog owners to think about when it comes to Omega-3 supplementation. If you are feeding a dog food containing any of the following: Corn oil, Vegetable oil, Sunflower oil, Safflower oil... then Omega-3 supplementation shouldn't be your cheif concern. These oils are very high in Omega-6 fat. You need to reduce your Omega-6 intake for the Omega-3 to be truly effective. I feed an all raw diet and will never go back to dog food. The results are astounding. Again, supplementing your dogs diet with fish oil supplements is a great idea, but only after you have made the dietary changes mentioned above. Fish oil supplements only add Omega-3 to their diets. However, a natural diet will address many other health issues that Omega-3 cannot do by itself.

I hope this helps some people.