1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Financial issues with feeding raw? HELP!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by yoel, Jan 30, 2010.

1. yoel

yoel Big Dog

I have read that feeding raw could be cheaper than kibble. I have been feeding my dog raw ground beef ($2.79/lb) and beef liver ($1.29/lb) but it gets really expensive. I feel its the best for the dog so I continue with it, but is there a better way or a better place I should be getting meat from. And how much do you feed a 17month ol 55 pound dog? Im feeding anywhere from 1 pound a meal to 3 pounds a meal.

2. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

if you dont have a good suplyer for raw you can get 10 lbs of chicken quarters for around 5 or 6 bucks

3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I get chicken quarters on sale for around .49/lb just picked up a few whole chicken fryers yesterday for .49/lb at 5lbs. I also get my chicken gizzards and hearts on sale for around 1.00/lb

Shop around for sales at your local grocery stores or walmart. Its cheapest when it is a couple days from the must refrigerate date and the stores are trying to get rid of it. Also beef is always much more expensive than chicken so thats another thing to keep in mind

4. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

you need to shop around.
    paying that much for ground beef is too much.
    look at ground chuck- you can usually find it for around .99-1.50 per pound. its better anyhow-you want that 75/25 area ratio
    whole chicken leg quarters are around .50 per pound.
    just gotta shop around

5. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

Look for a meat market in your area, or a meat packing plant, plus as stipulated before, chicken is much, much cheaper especially in bulk. If you want to cut down on the feed bill feed 90% chicken & change up when you catch a sell on other meat products.

6. popper

popper CH Dog

i went to wal mart last week and bought

a can of chicken livers $1.49

20 pounds of chicken quarters10 bucks

3 packs of chicken gizzards like 4 bucks

canned salmon at walmart is like 2 bucks
    they have whole chickens that last a week for 4 or 5 bucks

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

how much salmon comes in a can? how about the liver(weight)?

8. popper

popper CH Dog

actually the salmon is not the most cost effective so if you are having money troublkes forget the salmon.. the chicken livers come in like a 12 oz can. i give my dogs them 3 times a week

9. popper

popper CH Dog

and dont forget eggs ... eggs are real cheap ... you can give eggs to them 2 to 3 times a week

10. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

look for deals in bulk. a freezer in the shop helped me tons. my meals consist of chicken backs and necks two to three times a week. two to three times a week i make a veggie/liver mixture...in the veggie mixture mix there is any kind of greens, mustard, turnip, etc,..several eggs, a few chicken livers...a couple of spoonfuls of lard...and most any scraps we have left...
    it is cheaper than bag food but a lot more time consuming and a lot more hassle. US1

11. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

i give mine eggs pretty much everyday, great source of protein and cheapppp

12. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Use chicken as your base instead of beef....more cheaper and easier to find deals with! Plus the added bone is make it more complete than beef!

yIS

13. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

If you're only feeding raw ground beef and beef liver, not only are you ripping yourself off you're also doing more harm to your dog than a cheap bag of well balanced kibble would.

14. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yes chicken is much cheaper I buy my chicken legs, wings and quarters from Costco it's a great deal! I forgot how much lbs each packages were but there are 8 packs of about 4 chicken legs in each individual pack and the same for the wings and quarters. They cost about $9 for each individual 8 pack. The gizzards and livers I buy from Safeway and those are pretty cheap as well, the gizzards are about $2 a pack and the livers are about the same. So in total I spend about $30-40 a month on all of my raw meat it works for me. :dogdrink:

15. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I've read to give eggs every few days, you don't have a problem with feeding it everyday? do you give them raw or boiled? I give my girl a raw egg with the shell about every 2-3 days.

16. yoel

yoel Big Dog

Damn, I didn't even know that. We get a big ol' bag of bones with every purchase of meat, but I will start looking around more. Walmart seems to be the place. Thanks.

17. yoel

yoel Big Dog

I have noticed packs of chicken gizzards and hearts for pretty cheap dog doesn't respond to chicken like he does to red meat, but I'll have to keep the red meat as a treat every once in a while I guess. THANKS Y'ALL BIG HELP! This is why I fuckin love game-dog.com!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  18. yoel

yoel Big Dog

Another question I have is how much should I feed a 17 going on 18 month old boy who is SUPER ACTIVE (running and walking 27 miles a week approximately) I've read anywhere between 1 pound a day to 10% the weight which would be about 5 pounds a day. I feed him once a day. You could read all you want but asking other pit bull owners who may have had pits in the family for YEARS is the BEST!! Thanks y'all

19. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

In that case, when you feed, give an appropriate bone. Ribs, knuckles, hips, tail, neck, all good bones. The dog doesn't have to finish the whole bone, and just pick up and discard at the end of the day. This is not ideal, by any means, but it brings a little more needed balance to the system. As far as meats go, chicken is your best bet. They keep weight and look good on it. Get a cheap chicken, cut it in four, feed a quarter to a half depending on how the dog looks. The cheapest cuts, backs, etc, are best.

20. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Also shop around and feed a variety of meats and bone...local butcher...farmers, ethnic grocers...internet!

YIS