1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Few versus the many?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Fritz, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

Few versus the many, pros and cons?

Some of the old-timers and maybe some of the new would keep a hundred dogs or more.

As to myself, I never kept more than I could have a personal relationship with. I never kept more dogs than I could work and exercise several times a week. And so I held it down to fifteen or so, and never over twenty.

In a word, I was able to view my fifteen or so as pals, closely connected. I couldn't have done that with a hundred dogs or more. They'd have seemed more like property than pals.

But of course the more dogs one owns the more experimenting one is able to do with breeding combinations.

Myself? My feeling is that it's a matter of temperament, the number of dogs a man chooses to own.

Thoughts?

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

The pro's and con's of the few vs. the many are simple from my perspective.

1. More dogs equals more work and usually more active.

2. Less dogs equals less work and usually less active.

3. Eagle

Eagle Big Dog

I favor the few. Big yards can lead to all sorts of problems, while a smaller yard allows one not to miss finer points.
    12-15 would be adequate when tight line breeding some good blood, and try and top/peak them out and keep litters with a higher % of good ones, through proper selection and culling.

For me, I'll never partner up with anyone, so I'll only have what I can afford and handle on my own. Seen too many former partners become worst enemies.
    All due to pride, greed, and backstabbing.

You said it Freddy... They'd have seemed more like property than pals.

I have also heard that large yards have a better chance at producing another problem: manbiters.
    Anyone familiar with Robert Hemphill knows when he passed his yard was full of them.
    And IMO, manbiters are only good for one thing. Dirt naps.

4. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

My days for exercising even fifteen chain dogs are over. LOL Just too old and too many other complications effect one's time to do so as life goes on. More restrictions and required red tape from one entity or another. Times change. Life changes. One's allotted free times reconfigure.

As far as number of dogs goes, my standard situation for it has always been a matter of fluctuation. I hope I can make some clarity on this for the younger as well as those with experience.

When one has created a certain standard (preferably a high one), and is patient in schooling and finalizing a dog's worth, then one is practicing a proper form of selectivity. This selectivity in the form it should be practiced causes one's dog population to go up while breeding and waiting, and of course somewhat down after finalizing. One will most always breed those that passed the selectivity process. So, again, back up goes the count and the wait.

You won't have as many dogs that you consider breeding if your standards are high than you will if they aren't very high. Yet it's likely you'll feel a certain urgency to damned well get THOSE dogs bred. Up we go in dog count again. It's the parameters of volume we operate within that may make one man's yard larger or smaller than the next. Affordability, location/space and isolation are some things that matter. The percentage of success also plays into it. The more good ones, the more one feels he or she must keep. Not meaning whole litters, but more likely a certain few from more litters because more have shown to be brood prospects.

I strongly believe in proper respect, attention and in one becoming a dog's favorite figure to see every day. I don't mean "bonding" necessarily, although that's fine, too. But, IMO, a dog does have, however basic and remedial, a simplistic sense of self worth. A sorry headed, neglected dog won't give you the verve in activities as will one with this self worth, IMO. I haven't the time to bond, nor work and play at any length each day with them all. Perhaps I should curb breeding even the good ones when they come along. Take a less aggressive approach about it, but it's a damned hard thing to do when one shows you he is 'The Kind".

I do insist that each and every one of my scruffy-tailed mutts receives a huge dose of that loving attention. They feel important and have a higher sense of self worth than dogs one throws feed to like they're chickens and walks off. Happy, healthy dogs are better equipped to act out what's in their hearts, IMO.

I guess the keyword in what I'm babbling on about and striving to express is "fluctuation" as I mentioned above. The numbers which are involved, being a matter of one's scruples, pocket book, space, safety, and the results of their standards if they are high ones, along with rate of successes and your patience. I hope I laid this out in understandable terms. T.

5. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

I've had 5 at most at one time in my life. But I'm not a "breeder" really either. Only have 3 adults at the moment. Id do more if I was able to find a kennel partner in my area. But I'm sure you all know that's a hard find. I would still go with a small amount. Even if I had more space myself or a kennel partner. I prefer to have a lot of one on one work with my dogs. It would do me no good to have 50 dogs on a chain. Just not my style of dog ownership. This raises another question I had a conversation about with a new found friend and exceptional Dogmen. I may not explain this right so bare with me. Is "Game" on a chain??? Meaning, is a dog more likely to be Game if he's kept on a chain than inside the house? Does the the house soften him up? Take away his desire? So with having fewer dogs, I'm ably to house my dogs within my own house. If I had lots in the yard on a chain or even the ones I keep in my house. They would "act" different in my opinion. Does a chain allow a dog to be a dog versus more "pet" like in the house? Is a unsocialized dog more app to be a bulldog? I would say they are more likely to be a man biter for sure. But are you taking away his natural instincts by placing him in the house? Taming the beast so to speak. This is a debate I had with myself out of boredom last night. Then asked a friend today that's way more experienced than myself and had a lot more dogs. A interesting conversation was born out of the question. What do Yall think?

6. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

Well TDK, we must have been typing at the same time. A lot of your post coincides with my question and answers some of it to.

7. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

LOL Well, I'm glad someone could get some clarity out of my long-winded version. HAHA I'm glad, G4G.

8. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

Hey man, your short stories and long winded stories are the truth and highly respected by myself and others. One of the few posters I actually read thoroughly and sometimes repeat reading it to until I soak it all in lol. I've just wondered that ya know, I am aware some of the best dogs were pets. But I can't help but wonder, does the comfort of a house tame the beast within and does the chain bring it out. Would your percentages be different? I'm not experienced enough to know really not owned enough dogs. But you have and your insight on it is valuable to finding that answer. Oh, as you can tell I'm long winded to. I know yall hate it cuz half my stuff isn't nowhere near as valuable or even worded as good lol.

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Let me keep it short and simple, they either have it or they dont regardless of where they were raised. lol

10. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

Fair enough lol. I just noticed a difference between ones I kept inside versus outside kept. More so in every day behavior/personalities and just all together animal instinct. I haven't had the ones I speak of long enough to know if it effects them as far as being "Bulldog" or "Game" goes So I figured I'd raise the question and get others thoughts.

11. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I don't think whether they are raised with a lot of inside time or more outside time effects their genetic make up. I pretty much believe they're born with what they will have as adults as long as it isn't taken away from them by poor handling of their lives, and/or ruining them young. Happy and healthy is what they need to be regardless of where they live. Of course, it should be clean and the dogs well kempt either way. And I don't think any dog should be TOTALLY sheltered from nature and its elements entirely.

Some of the old timers (and they were old timers when I was young. lol), would say that there is one more scratch in a house dog than in a yard dog. I'm not sure of that. Only that a dog raised to experience most elements and raised with a sense of self worth and care has every chance to be what it was born to be. You don't make them what they are per se. You just don't screw them out of being what they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  12. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

Makes perfect sense TDK and I do agree. Why do you think old timers said there's more scratch in a house dog? Whether it be true or false. Why do you think they said that?

13. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I think it was the rapport factor they figured might play in. That should be predicated on how they treated that house dog. I've seen some piss poor care and treatment of house dogs over the years.

14. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

Yea, the old timer that gave me my first dogs in the mid 90's said that. That's why he was getting out of the game after 40+ years. Said he didn't appreciate the way people had become to treat the dogs. Especially newcomers. The last show he was at he punched a guy out next to the show area for kicking a dog that had been bested.

15. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Good point have been raised on the few versus many theory. So many factors go into yard size that I believe success can be achieved with any number of dogs, more about the selection process than number of dogs. As far as house dog versus a chain dog.... Well I don't think it matters either way. Even if I've kept a dog outside most it's life if I'm working it for a show then it's spending it's nights inside with me anyway. As far as living in the house taking the edge off, well from my experience it's quite the opposite. I've seen them tend to work harder to please you when they know after work they get a good rub down and stretch out and watch tv as opposed to back on the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. siccen

siccen Big Dog

There's some really nice reading, and insight in here, thanks folks. I can say this, my leather couch is the pool of life for all my gladiators! Ha ha.

17. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The guy that turned me onto dogs many years ago believed the amount should be set at whatever the number was that you could keep 'open to the world' at any given time. He kept ten to twelve. All were either winners or not far from his chance at being a winner.

He never needed a pre-keep or a 'let me see how much he weighs'. He kept a number that he could keep worked up and ready to do hard work at a moments notice.

Right down the road was guy who kept a very popular stud dog. He kept the majority of the litters from him, did pup deals on occasion and his yard constantly grew. He was somewhat active and over time his yard had a line drawn in the dirt. On the left side were winners and dogs close to getting a chance and on the other side were brood type dogs. His numbers were as low as 20 and as many as 50 and in constant fluctuation depending on litter size, pup deals and the ones that did not work out.

Yard size is dependent on the person and what he has room and time for. One's personal situation can't dictate another's.

Personally, I like the smaller yard, especially as I age. I can remember having 30 while working 50 hours a week and keeping up a household. I look back and wonder how I found the time. The number is a lot smaller now, a lot smaller, and I barely find the time to do all the things I would like to do.

(It has to be global warming causing the days to get shorter as I know it is not the fact I have been slowed by age and other time constraints, LOL)

18. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

Tried to message Ya Slim bug your box in full.

19. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I agree - Dogs need interaction to thrive. I agree. My time does not allow me any a quarter of 20, but I can understand your thoughts.
    Time and space have a huge inpact on my hobby. I am only able so much time and they get most of the extra time i am able to save. I well rounded dog is a must. As the children get older, they are able to help but we are huge on the temperment of our dogs. They thrive in a family atmosphere and I believe it shows.

20. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

i need to quit posting before i read - half what i said was already posted..also - sorry for the repetition to the Original Poster