1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Female in heat! Help

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by tjpitbull, Nov 9, 2006.

1. tjpitbull

tjpitbull Big Dog

My dog has begun to get very big in the private area.

I know this is part of the stage however it looks like something is coming out of it like a peice of meat is that usal??

Any info would be apprciated i dont want to jump the gun and get worked up!!

Dog is 1 year old.

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

It sounds, from your very brief description, like it could be a vaginal polapse (in laymen's terms, you dog's "insides" are coming "outside".) She needs to be checked by a vet asap.

3. tjpitbull

tjpitbull Big Dog

How does this occur?

4. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

5. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

Yeah, If The Coloration Of The Two Layers, Just Take Her In To A Vet. Ask 'em What It Is. Hell They Won't Charge To Look And Tell You If You Do Have A Problem On Your Hands. Jmt

But Listen To Miakoda An Ytake Her In. And Have Fun For The Next Month,,unless You Get The False Preg, Then Plan On Cleanin Up Shit For Like 2 Mo.s Or Somethin. Lol

6. tjpitbull

tjpitbull Big Dog

Thank you so much. I was about go to the emergency room.

The picture of the boxer is very big compared to my dog it is probally the size of a golf ball but i am going to call the vet first thing in te morning.

Thank you very much.

7. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

Your welcome! Please keep us updated!

8. Attila

Attila Guest

I have had dogs get those on the first heat. Very unsitely. Most often in dogs on there first heat do this never do it again. some times though it is a result in a more serious condition like a tear. You should keep it clean and your vet will probably give you some sort of jelly to keep it from drying out and getting infected. It should pass in a week. You do need to have it looked at by a vet and follow the vets instructions on the matter. Don't freak out though. It happens just take her in. You should always treat it as a serious matter though as some times it can be. And if it happens after or during welping pups you have problems. In some cases a device or surgery is needed to correct the problem. I admit it is gross looking. SunShine was my last dog to do that. She will never be bred and she has not done it but the first cycle three years ago. The first time I was freaked out too. Big time. I think it was like in 78 or something like that. Keep it clean and put some KY on it till you take her to the vet in the morning and relax till then.

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Do make sure you take her to the vet. But also bring her inside if she is not inside already. Her prolapsed tissue is very vulnerable. It should be kept moist & not exposed to dirt or debris.

I knew a fellow who's female had a vaginal prolapse. He kept her outside & was not worried about anything b/c "she was keeping herself clean." Ended up the dog died of an infection.

Keep in mind that the tendency to prolapse can be genetic in nature & that it is not uncommon for bitches who prolapse will pass the predisposition to prolapse on to her pups.

Also, while some dogs only prolapse once during their first heat, some dogs will prolapse w/ each cycle until about the age of 3 years.

If you choose to breed her anyway, be aware that as Attila said, some females who prolapse during heat cycles can prolapse during the birthing of her pups. If this occurs, a c-section will likely be required to save both her life & the lives of her pups.

So if this dog was to be used as a brood female, you may want to reconsider.

As for what to expect, be prepared for a vet stay. Some vets will just clean the tissue well, re-insert it manually, give you jelly & antibiotics for her & send you home. But most vets will want to re-insert the tissue, then tack the tissue in place &/or partially stitch her private area closed to ensure the tissue stays in. They will of course have to anesthetize your female for the latter procedure. If that is the case, she may have to stay at the vet's all day or perhaps overnight.

BTW, as a side note, since prolapse is stimulated by hormones, having her spayed can keep your female prolapse free for the rest of her life.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2006
  10. tjpitbull

tjpitbull Big Dog

Went to the vet today he did a Ovarionhystorecthamy.

He said it should be gone within a week or so just need to keep the are moist.

Thanks for caring guys.,...

11. Attila

Attila Guest

That is what I figured he would say. No worries. It happens every now and then on usually the first heat. Good deal.

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Thanks for the update & hope your dog gets to feeling better soon! And good job on keeping a watchful eye out. ;)