1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding Schedule

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pookie!, May 19, 2012.

1. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Hey got a question, I feed my dog 1x a day. Before it started getting hot I fed 30-45 mins after our workouts. Now its in the 100-106 range in the city and I cannot put him out on the hot asphault to run and exercise, no real other option that wont severly over heat him or burn his feet badly, so I have started the last few days of running him at 7:30-9:00 am. Now should I keep feeding him at the normal time (6-7:00pm) or should I change his feeding to right after his workouts? Any advice is seriously appreciated

2. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

I would feed him after his exercise. That way his body has fuel to consume while his metabolism is still working after the workout.

I don't know if that's right or not, just seems like the right thing to do.

3. Icepick

Icepick Banned

I'm a firm believer of keeping feed on schedule with little variation. My suggestion is to keep it the same, besides have you ever felt hungry right after a good workout?

4. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

See I am conflicted because I agree with both lol I just feel bad about feeding him early in the day then him being full or digesting all day when its hot out, gonna be 105-110 this whole week, and then if I want to let him run at my brothers or spar with my friends mutt he will be full of feed and possibly get sick or overheat faster/worse..
    I guess I am kind of answering my own question now..
    I will see how he is in a few weeks on the same schedule then maybe switch and see how he is..
    Cuz I know if I run him or bike him hard I wont be hungry the whole day, and eating a good dinner is more than enough.. but dog and people metabolisms are a little different I suppose.. damn Phoenix screwing up my schedules with this awful heat

5. MCS

MCS CH Dog

I feed two times aday. I work in the morning and feed after then feed the other half in evening. Perhaps that would be best of both worlds, u can feed half after the workout like the first reply states, but not too full for him to run around during the day. And feeding at evening IMO lets them have some food on their belly while they sleep and recover overnight.

6. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

The only problem with feeding him twice a day is he will shit it all out while running, thats why I stopped feeding him twice a day. He would shit about twice during walks and that was just wasting food and making it hard to do anything with him because he would push out anything left in him lol

7. You're right you should try and make sure he is completely empty when you exercise him and feed him after his workout. As long as you feed him enough his body will adapt. Good Luck!

8. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Yea after asking here and other places I guess today he will be getting a small meal and then start his feeding in the am after his workouts.
    I make sure I empty him out before I do anything with him, he has that down really good, only intact male I know that will pee all out and shit as soon as he hits the grass so he will be able to "play" sooner lol its nice not having to walk him around forever to get him empty

9. old goat

old goat CH Dog

your just having fun with him . feed him 30 min to 1 hr after you work . he will get used to it fast .

10. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

after work out, no doubt.

11. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

After work out, after he's fully cooled down. There are more nutritional and metabolic advantages to feeding a working dog 2x a day rather than 1x.

12. Yeah feeding after workout, after he's fully cooled down should be the right thing to do.. but i guess feeding once a day would be fine it just depends on the quantity of the food that you give him.. before i'm used of twice feeding but sometimes my dog won't eat the 2nd meal.. so i switched to once a day but giving her the quantity of two meals in one serving.. luckily until now i don't have a problem with her eating once a day..

in hot days/seasons always make sure to give your dog a cold water.. in my experience this also affects their eating behaviour..

13. WWII

WWII Banned

Can you explain the bold? Feces is a waste product of digested food. Don't know how it's wasted food if he already used what he could from it.