1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fearful of what my pit may become - please help with advice

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by phatbuddha, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

I have a 5-month-old American Pit named October, who I adore. My fiancé and I have had him since he was 4 weeks old because his mother was milked dry by her huge litter of 11 pups. He has this quirky, loving personality, and even though he is independent, still loves to give and receive affection.

This past weekend I saw what was almost a mauling at the dog park by an unneutered male pit, and I have been reading lots of magazines and books lately that focus a lot of the aggressiveness of pit bulls. I got my pit with the idea in mind that it’s all in how you raise them, that the stereotype of killer dog was ridiculous. Now honestly after reading these books and magazines on pit personalities and how to raise them correctly, and after seeing what happened in the dog park this weekend, I am feeling like I might be wrong.

In the magazines I have been reading like Bully Breeds, there are tons of stories of pits turning on the other dogs in the family, like the 1 year old sister pit who turned on the 1 year old brother pit, which led to significant blood loss. From what I have read it seems like no animal is safe with a pit, not even if they were raised together. Is this true? October has been raised with 4 other dogs that he seems to adore, but then again he is only 5 months old. Will this change at 1 year? The only aggressiveness he has ever shown is when they take his treats away from him or when we try to cut his nails, which he is okay about as long as I hold him and keep him calm. Now everyday I fear fearful that he will turn on one of my parent’s beloved dogs and it will come down on me if one of them is hurt or killed. Can he not continue to play with them; can I not turn my back for a second?

I love him so much yet after getting all of this mixed information I don’t know how to feel or what to think. He is my buddy, he is like a son to my fiancé and me. He is reprimanded correctly, is about to start training, and will be neutered here shortly. I want a dog that I can have around other dogs, that I can take on walks in public, that I can trust not to turn on other animals. Have I chosen the wrong type? Was I sadly misinformed that the stereotype is wrong when it is in fact, right?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

I want a dog that I can have around other dogs, that I can take on walks in public, that I can trust not to turn on other animals. Have I chosen the wrong type?

I believe this may be the wrong breed of dog for you. Three are a few apbts that are not dog aggressive and can be controlled to some degree, but a lot of them can't. I know mine can't; she goes nuts when she sees a dog. Especially if it stares back at her. But talk to some other people on here. There are quit a few people that know what the hell they are doing. They can help you out. Good luck. Hopefully you won't change your mind about our breed. They are a lot of fun and can be a handful, but you just have to be responsible. I love it and its a lot of fun for me and my family.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  3. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

Thanks. I plan on keeping him and doing whatever I need to do to be a responsible owner. I just want to have an understanding of what that means.

Can they just not be around other dogs, even ones that they grew up with??

4. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Well my lil pup was raised around this little chihuahua, weenie dog mix(I couldn't spell dauchshund). Did I spell it right?? lol oh well. Anyways she grew up around this dog and she will NOT challenge this dog. I always keep an eye on them when they play, but she has never challenged the little one. Plus that little dog is tough as hell. She has the heart of a apbt. lol You can train your dog to behave when they see another dog. I make my dog sit if she sees another dog walking by at the park. I make her do this everytime. That way I can keep control of how she is acting. Sometimes she sits there and sometimes she doesn't. Its a strong thing to try to control, but she gets better everyday. You can see how your dog acts around others now. He may be cool. My dog didn't start being dog aggressive until she was about 6 months old. She was cool with everyone's dogs, but then one day we were walking in the parking lot to come home and this little toy breed dog ran up to us barking and tried to bite me and her. Well I picked her up and she just looked at me. Well after that a couple of weeks went by. Well that same dog came by again and she tried to rip his head off. And after that she didn't like any "other" dog that she saw. And when she had her first heat she got really out of control. LOL it was crazy. But she's a good girl and I love her to death. The only time she tries to tune me out is when she sees another dog or cat. Or something or someone running fast.

I know there are people out there with dog friendly apbt's but its not a guarantee all their pups would be like that. lol you never know.

Like I said don't just take my story. Listen to others in here as well, there are people who have been in the game waaaaaaaaaayyyyy longer than I have. I'm just speaking off my experience.

5. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

6. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

I have a 5-month-old American Pit named October, who I adore. My fiancé and I have had him since he was 4 weeks old because his mother was milked dry by her huge litter of 11 pups. He has this quirky, loving personality, and even though he is independent, still loves to give and receive affection.
    Sounds like a well rounded dog, who is well loved and taken care of. Before too much advise can be given a few other pieces of information need to be given.. Did you get this pup from a kennel, someone with knowledge of the breed, or just a random breeder? I'm under the impression that you didn't do alot of research before getting him but you are now..

This past weekend I saw what was almost a mauling at the dog park by an unneutered male pit, and I have been reading lots of magazines and books lately that focus a lot of the aggressiveness of pit bulls. I got my pit with the idea in mind that it’s all in how you raise them, that the stereotype of killer dog was ridiculous. Now honestly after reading these books and magazines on pit personalities and how to raise them correctly, and after seeing what happened in the dog park this weekend, I am feeling like I might be wrong.
    First I have to state that I am completely AGAINST APBTs and dog parks. APBTs have no place in an area, off lead or where other dogs/animals are off lead, where incidents can occur. Alot of the temperament of an APBT IS how you raise them but you need to keep in mind the history of these dogs. A breed of dog that has been selectively bred for animal aggression for many many years. Most APBTs are animal aggressive, and those that are not I am a firm believer that its ALWAYS possible and am aware of that and acting accordingly.

In the magazines I have been reading like Bully Breeds, there are tons of stories of pits turning on the other dogs in the family, like the 1 year old sister pit who turned on the 1 year old brother pit, which led to significant blood loss. From what I have read it seems like no animal is safe with a pit, not even if they were raised together. Is this true? October has been raised with 4 other dogs that he seems to adore, but then again he is only 5 months old. Will this change at 1 year? The only aggressiveness he has ever shown is when they take his treats away from him or when we try to cut his nails, which he is okay about as long as I hold him and keep him calm. Now everyday I fear fearful that he will turn on one of my parent’s beloved dogs and it will come down on me if one of them is hurt or killed. Can he not continue to play with them; can I not turn my back for a second?
    Unfortunately I also believe that there should be no unsupervised play with other animals, even if there have never been aggression problems in the past. These dogs tend to have strong wills and react, sometimes badly, in situations where they may "lose" a toy they want. At 5 months old your boy is still young, and impressionable. I wouldn't allow treats to be given to all the dogs at the same time, especially if they like to "steal" from each other, which can cause aggression problems as your boy gets older. BTW, how old and what sexes are the other dogs?

I love him so much yet after getting all of this mixed information I don’t know how to feel or what to think. He is my buddy, he is like a son to my fiancé and me. He is reprimanded correctly, is about to start training, and will be neutered here shortly. I want a dog that I can have around other dogs, that I can take on walks in public, that I can trust not to turn on other animals. Have I chosen the wrong type? Was I sadly misinformed that the stereotype is wrong when it is in fact, right?
    You've taken a step in the right direction, trying to find out as much information and advise as you can BEFORE there are any problems. I suggest seeking out a behaviorist, talking to your vet, and starting obdience work (which I see you've already said you were going to do), and not to mention the great thing on neutering your dog. As for having around other dogs...questionable, these are not labs who tend to get along great with other dogs, they require lots of work, and responsible owners. This situation is EXACTLY what burns me about backyard breeders, or irresponsible breeders. The people you got this dog from should have TOLD you about the potential issues you could face.

Now before you lose all hope, APBTs for the most part tend to me great people dogs, friendly, loyal, beautiful. There is a distinct difference between animal aggression and people aggression.

7. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

see I told you there were some people on here that new what they were talking about.

8. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

Sounds like a well rounded dog, who is well loved and taken care of. Before too much advise can be given a few other pieces of information need to be given.. Did you get this pup from a kennel, someone with knowledge of the breed, or just a random breeder? I'm under the impression that you didn't do alot of research before getting him but you are now..

It was a friend who has several pits but this was his first litter. My fiance and I did some research but for some reason I didn't see much information on not having them around other dogs, it was more about how to train them correctly when they are young rather than stories about them turning on other animals. I think it may have been the books we picked out because the information we have picked up now seems to be full of those types of warnings. We had been talking about getting a dog but it happened more quickly than we expected it to when we were offered the pup. I should have been more responsible in my opinion with research, I just didn't realize the massive scope of differences between pit and other dogs, having raised so many other types I thought it would be fine.

First I have to state that I am completely AGAINST APBTs and dog parks. APBTs have no place in an area, off lead or where other dogs/animals are off lead, where incidents can occur. Alot of the temperament of an APBT IS how you raise them but you need to keep in mind the history of these dogs. A breed of dog that has been selectively bred for animal aggression for many many years. Most APBTs are animal aggressive, and those that are not I am a firm believer that its ALWAYS possible and am aware of that and acting accordingly.

I realized the same thing after this last week. It was a horrible and sickening situation. The vet told us to take him to the dog park to socialize him early on with other dogs so that is what we have been doing. Now I am not so sure. But I don't really understand how I can socialize him if it's not in a park like that. I am confused on that situation because I really want for him to act appropriately when around other dogs.

Unfortunately I also believe that there should be no unsupervised play with other animals, even if there have never been aggression problems in the past. These dogs tend to have strong wills and react, sometimes badly, in situations where they may "lose" a toy they want. At 5 months old your boy is still young, and impressionable. I wouldn't allow treats to be given to all the dogs at the same time, especially if they like to "steal" from each other, which can cause aggression problems as your boy gets older. BTW, how old and what sexes are the other dogs?

Understood. There is 1 female and 3 males, all under 3 years old. They have a lot of fun together, the female has this mothering instict over him and watches everything he does. He has lots of respect for all of them, or seems to have, except with the whole treat thing. I have taken to giving him treats alone now.

You've taken a step in the right direction, trying to find out as much information and advise as you can BEFORE there are any problems. I suggest seeking out a behaviorist, talking to your vet, and starting obdience work (which I see you've already said you were going to do), and not to mention the great thing on neutering your dog. As for having around other dogs...questionable, these are not labs who tend to get along great with other dogs, they require lots of work, and responsible owners. This situation is EXACTLY what burns me about backyard breeders, or irresponsible breeders. The people you got this dog from should have TOLD you about the potential issues you could face.

Yeah I wish I have been told upfront too, I think it was a learning experince for the breeder and us.

Now before you lose all hope, APBTs for the most part tend to me great people dogs, friendly, loyal, beautiful. There is a distinct difference between animal aggression and people aggression.

Thanks so much!

9. 440rider

440rider Guest

"I want a dog that I can have around other dogs, that I can take on walks in public, that I can trust not to turn on other animals. Have I chosen the wrong type? Was I sadly misinformed that the stereotype is wrong when it is in fact, right? "

I think it all depends on your dog. I have 3 bulldogs that I seperate when I'm not around, all three of them have gotten into it one time or another. My oldest is 7yrs and is fine around other dogs I don't go to the park but have had interaction with many other dogs without ever an incident with him. My one female on the other hand is loveable, and friendly but a firecracker. I had her at obedience training and there was a boxer pup that growled at her and she dove on him @ 4mo. old. and has little tolerance for other dogs even her littermate. Just get to know your dog and try to socialize it as much as possible and learn as much as you can about these dogs. Hope it helps.

10. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

I can understand this. If it was quicker than you thought, and you saw the pups and things just happen. If you want something bad enough then sometimes things get glanced over or forgot..happens to me all the time. Have you talked to your friend with the several pits about this issue? Do they let there dogs all run together with no problems?

Unfortunately Dog Parks and APBTs are a media news headline waiting to happen, IMO, for the exact reason you saw this weekend. You can responsibly socialize him AT HOME in a CONTROLED envirnoment with other dogs and their owners that understand the potential aggressive problems that could happen. Forgive me for maybe stating the obvious but if he lives with 4 OTHER dogs how much more socializing do you want him to get?

Wow! 3 males and him just a pup... Hate to say it but you could have dominance issues that are going to be more than a headache with that many males all together and one being an APBT. Just look at it like 4 high school boys all looking to get the attention of 1 high school beauty.. Get the idea? Even neutered males can have some issues in a situation like this, because even neutered boys will be boys. He may seem to have respect now, but he's young and usually they will start "testing" the limits of the other dogs around them, and if he already gets upset with them "stealing" his treats it could get worse (dominant) or let it go as he is toward the "bottom" of the pack so to speak (submissive)... Only time will tell this one..

Your friend, the breeder, shouldn't have put in this "learning experience" if he didn't know what to expect either. That is completely irresponsible to not only his dogs, but to you and your family. If he has several APBTs he should be more than aware of the potential issues. I'm trying to hold back my typing, and NOT go off on a tangent on this issue..lol

This is a great board, with lots of experienced people, who sometimes get a little blunt, but have the best interested of the dogs at heart, mostly anyway..lol Keep asking your questions, I for one am willing to help ANYONE that is trying to be a RESPONSIBLE owner of an APBT. I'm all about keeping these dogs around for generations to come, and the only way that will happen is if responsible people own these dogs, and keep them from the hands of the irresponsible people.

Jenn likes this.
  11. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

I can understand this. If it was quicker than you thought, and you saw the pups and things just happen. If you want something bad enough then sometimes things get glanced over or forgot..happens to me all the time. Have you talked to your friend with the several pits about this issue? Do they let there dogs all run together with no problems?

As far as I know he does, but he is out of town for a while and I will not have the chance to talk to him until he comes back.

Unfortunately Dog Parks and APBTs are a media news headline waiting to happen, IMO, for the exact reason you saw this weekend. You can responsibly socialize him AT HOME in a CONTROLED envirnoment with other dogs and their owners that understand the potential aggressive problems that could happen. Forgive me for maybe stating the obvious but if he lives with 4 OTHER dogs how much more socializing do you want him to get?

I would like him to handle being around dogs that he doesn't already know. He has been with my parents dogs since 4 weeks old so they don't phase him, but it's a whole different situation around dogs he doesn't know. Right now he starts peeing. He does this with new people too, he gets really excited to meet anyone new, including other dogs, and when he gets excited he pees. I wish I could hold on to this stage because it's so much easier to deal with.

Thanks!

12. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

Excellent Post - Lr
    Bravo

13. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

Here is my little one, actually he is almost 40 pds now, this was about a month ago:

[​IMG]

14. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

As far as I know he does, but he is out of town for a while and I will not have the chance to talk to him until he comes back.

Definetly get with him when he gets back, and get some additional information on his dogs and their temperaments. He should be aware of potential aggression problems, whether or not his dogs have them.

I would like him to handle being around dogs that he doesn't already know. He has been with my parents dogs since 4 weeks old so they don't phase him, but it's a whole different situation around dogs he doesn't know. Right now he starts peeing. He does this with new people too, he gets really excited to meet anyone new, including other dogs, and when he gets excited he pees. I wish I could hold on to this stage because it's so much easier to deal with.

Ahhh the excited pee stage, nothing like it...lol I can see where your going with socializing with strange dogs, and that is where it would be a good idea to do so in a CONTROLED area where if something happens you can deal with it quickly and the other party would have been aware of the potentail issue. He's a puppy now, and sounds like he is acting exactly like he should. You never know whether or not he will become dominant but you need to be aware of the possiblities that you face with him. Take him to regular parks, on lead, where all the other dogs are required to be on lead, where you can have him around other dogs but are always in control. My next advise is to learn about breaking sticks, and how to use them. You may never have to use one, but it should be with you on walks just in case.

15. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Wow!! He's a cutie!!

40lbs at 5 months old? He's looking to be a big dog then. Does he come from working parents, that are maybe involved in weight pulling?

16. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

He is cute, his other pics are just too cute too, I inquired about what was going on in the other picture, LOL

17. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

Awesome, thanks again

18. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

I know his dad was around 130, but neither are working. Yeah he is gonna be huge!

19. Re: Fearful of what my pit may become – please help with advice

It's a hardwood floor that he likes to leave his food on, hhahaha ;)

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Big Dog

Welcome phatbuddha,

First thing you need to know is that if the sire of your dog was 130lbs you do not have an American Pit Bull Terrier. You have a mastiff bulldog which is a modern mixed breed.