1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

facing off dogs in park. Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Envy's Mom, May 18, 2007.

1. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Yesterday after I picked up the new rescue from the vet, (She had a spay and abort) I was driving through a friends neighborhood and at the little community park they have, there were two young men 16-17 years old facing off there pits. The dogs were still pups I'd say 7-8 months old. I could not stop because the rescue was in the car.

I am baffled on what to do b/c if I report them to the SPCA the dogs will be put down. There were small children around playing at the park. I was shocked because I know this stuff happens, but I had never personally seen this. Not in public surrounded by children. The dogs looked like they were about to get loose from the kids holding the leash.

My friend knows where these kids live and they have been irresponsible dog owners before.

What should I do? I would like to steal the dogs, but I know I can't do that. I just feel bad b/c I know if I report the kids the dogs will have no chance at adoption.

2. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Well, IMHO, they are better off dead than making headlines, which sounds like a guarantee with owners like that. Definitely report it. I doubt it would be enough for the AC to seize the dogs anyway.

3. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Thats my opinion too, but I was wondering if there was a way around the dogs being put down. I would call the SPCA, but I know they would seize and euthanize the dogs.

Any one else know who I could call?

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

"Facing them off". Do you mean they were just lunging at eachother, or actually fighting?

5. RedNoseProdigy

RedNoseProdigy Big Dog

they could have just been playing if the boys were together....i assume they have to be pretty good friends and therefore the dogs grew up knowing each other....my dogs look like they are killing each other when they play on a leash or off....just a thought

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

here's my advise, mind ur business, just because u "think" the dogs were lunging at each other doesn't mean they were. Why do so many people feel the need to get involved with other peoples business, if u saw me walking my dog and right when u passed my dog happened to be lunging after a rabbit, would u call the authorities on me? Its plain an simple, don't go sticking ur nose in other peoples problems because their problems are gonna turn into your problems and then u gotta deal with headaches and what not, its not worth it, plus what are u gonna achieve by getting involved, do u think ur really gonna change their way of thinking, comeon when i was 17 nobody could tell me a damn thing, let them learn from their mistakes and if they don't, well then don't worry cause the law will catch up with them and they will be eliminated from society for a while

7. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Things arent always what they seem...I say stay outta it and concentrate on your new rescue ;)

Do you think these are fighting or playing?....It's hard to tell aint it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

From what I understand "facing dogs off" is facing the dogs toward each other & letting them rage at each other at the ends of their leashes.

Plus, we know these dogs weren't playing b/c she said that it looked like they were going to get away from their handlers.

As for what to do, that's a toughie. Minding our own business has gotten us in the mess we're in now. How? If we had got in the business of others & policed our own from jump street maybe we wouldn't have thugs getting these dogs, or vicious dogs being bred.

Buit on the other hand (don't you hate that?) meddling by other folks has also got us in the mess we're in now. Well meaning citizens not knowing the whole story, tearing families apart thinking they are doing the best thing for the dog when the dog was just fine in the first place.

If you know FOR A FACT that these kids don't deserve to own the dogs & are a liability, go for it. But all they will do is go out & buy new dogs & you will be right back at square one.

And I must ask - just b/c these dogs were acting DA, what did that have to do w/ the kids? You kept emphasising "there were kids all around." So what? I've never known a bulldog to jump the pit to bite a kid.

So many ppl thing DA = HA, but that is most certainly not the case. Most pit dogs were lovers of children & I have yet to hear any recorded account of any child ever being hurt at a match.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  9. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i agree with dunlap..this is plaing...

Rule #2... Do not post images, threads, or replies of or about your or someone else's dog(s) looking or acting aggressive (intimidating, vicious, etc.), regardless of whether it is the nature or instinct of the breed(s) or not.
    Edited by Marty

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  10. Turner

Turner Big Dog

Dumb kids... Well I would say to mind your own business. I did not see the situation so I can not say. But I agree the dogs are better off PTS than in the headlines

11. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

And I must ask - just b/c these dogs were acting DA, what did that have to do w/ the kids? You kept emphasising "there were kids all around." So what? I've never known a bulldog to jump the pit to bite a kid.

i see what you are saying but believe it or not kids do as they see and i dont think its good for children to see people and their dogs acting stupid.i have no kids but promise my kids wouldnt be around to watch ignorant behoavior no matter what it is, maybe you think different and think stupid behavior is ok but i see this persons point.

12. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

oh..ok..marty...sorry..i couldnt see a difference between my pics and the ones above......but your the boss..

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

This is just my POV, but what kids do is dictated by their parents, not what they see. Sure, they may WANT to do some of the things they see, but if they've got a good parents at home, that will nip a lot of the stupid sh.t in the bud. I know it did for me. There were plenty of things I WANTED to do, but didn't b/c I knew my mom would turn me inside out.

If we wanted to put the blame on their action on what they see, we'd have to nix movies, TV & even cartoons, as all are horribily violent & filled w/ bad precidents.

IMO if we had more strong parental figures at home at lot of the messed up stuff kids are doing today wouldn't even be occuring.

JMHO ...

14. Marty

Marty Guest

Trust me I looked at all the pics there was a big difference. go back and look at the dog on the left that you posted and you'll see it ;)

15. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

yeah see your point..he is crazy looking period..sorry again its :cool: .

16. Michele

Michele Guest

Does your friend know this for a fact?

I'm with Boi-Boi........they could of been playing, roughhousing......Sometimes things are not what they appear to be.....:)

17. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

First off, if possible, you should approach those who were involved and suggest to them that the public park may not be the best place for them to play with their dogs that way. Emphasize the importance of the dim view many people take when it come to these dogs. If approached in a friendly, responsible, calm yet helpful manner, the teens involved might just learn something.

If that does not work, try approaching the parent or parents of the teens and mention what you saw. Do it in such a way as to be non judgmental. Suggest that it would be better for their teens and the dogs involved if this type of behavior, which looks bad even though the intention might not have been there, would be better off not being seen in a public area.

Education is always better than condemnation. Why get the authorities involved if a simple talk will take care of the issue. If done in a polite and respectful manner, most people will be willing to listen.

18. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Well the parents were pulling there kids away from the dogs. My problem was that its in the public eye. The parents were scared for their children.

I know how bulldogs play and they can be rough. I understand that even if the pups got off leash they could have just played. Again.. that is not my concern. I am concerned its gonna be on TV and give someone else a reason to try to ban my dogs.

After speaking with someone who resides in this neighbor hood.. I was told there have been complaints about the boys fighting there dogs before and they had a Mastiff taken from them by animal control in the past for being irresponsible owners.

Just to let you guys know I did in fact "mind my own business" and did not report them. My reasoning was because I could not ensure the dogs being rehomed. I posted because I wanted advice. I just hate that irresponsibe kids can easily acquire bulldogs. I hate seeing my breed all over the news. These kids are just next weeks broadcast waiting to happen.

Dry Creek nice post: but there parents apparently are not responsible. My friends mother has taken there Mastiff home twice before he was taken and the parents were not concerned about the boys or the dogs.