1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Endless itching

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by zarahbean, Jul 25, 2011.

1. zarahbean

zarahbean Pup

My 7-month-old female has had a problem with itching since she was 11-weeks-old. after she went through her first heat the itching got worse, now her whole stomach is scabbed from the itching and where is not seems to develop small like-zits. What could this be and how can i help her.

2. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Fleas or maybe an allergy to food of something in it's surroundings.

3. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

sounds like she has allergies. the zits are a secondary staph infection from her scratching all the time. she's a little young for it to be food related, but i wouldn't rule out a food allergy completely. what are you feeding her? most likely it is something in her environment that's causing her to itch. it could be anything from grass to dust mites to fleas to human skin dander to a certain kind of tree to the kind of shampoo you use on her. those are just a few of the many things it could be.

if i were you, i'd take her to the vet to rule out skin issues/parasites such as mange, fleas, or fungus. they can also give you an antibiotic to help clear up her staph infection.

otherwise to help with allergies, you can give her a zyrtec once a day. it's easier to dose than benedryl and in my experience has better effect. any dog over 20# will get a full 10mg tablet once daily. you can get the generic really cheap from sam's club. also, make sure you're feeding a decent quality diet.

4. hardluck

hardluck Banned

your praboblly feeding a kibble type diet. switch to raw it will help clear that up real quick

5. jacko

jacko CH Dog

is there a lot of grass , fauna etc where you live ? i had a bitch like that she was allergic to pollen ,she used to rub her self red raw in the spring / summer months ,i got it under control when the vet prescribed " medrone" a steroid pill ,