1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ducking dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Dream Pits, May 16, 2013.

1. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

It's a silly term to begin with in that respect!! That's what I said. If your going to use that term though...sure, an Ace, so to speak...can't be trumped!

2. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

They're all silly terms but human's by nature define shit. Its what we do. Whether someone wants to call it an Ace or a Gtuyihd it'd be the same thing. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Ace just means really really good dog.

3. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

Seems this is the difference between EU & US.....

EU dogmen actively seek out aces and top fastlane competition. Golden Kings PERA got slated for hooking up KING. There seems there's alot yards baby their hounds on your side of the pond. LMAO

Don't expect EU camps buying any straws any time soon. Good to see TCF still travel & are OTW.

4. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I still dont see one good reason why i would intentionally go into competion i knew i would.lose to. If you want to throw money away i have a trashcan here for ya.

And no, just because you can't beat an ace doesn't mean you can't have a superior hound. If that were the case, technically there is only one hound at each weight worth owning.

5. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

There are whole yards full of pretty papered worthless turd eaters that wouldn't last 30 mins in the box.... Seems that you answered your own question.

trash can kennels, garbage game dogs are more honest names for most yards LMFAO!

6. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

You lost before you got in, that should be the rush to get in there and prove the doubters wrong. Shit get the odds, you never know until its over. If you put your all in it and give it your best try you are not losing. It's a win-win, it's the reason why we play the game. That's like saying, hey them guys got Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson & Shaq, and you and your boys say, man no way in hell we win. I'd say kick the doubters off the squad and pick up the rock and call first ball. I say lets go bust they ass, what do we have to lose.

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Not the same, nobody is losing their life and/or money in a basketball game. Nobody is saying to patty cake an entire yard but you should be smart about it.

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

The term ACE has always been used to say that a dog is unbeatable. Ironically, the same people who use this term will turn right around and tell you "there is a paddle for every dog's ass." Which is it?
    Personally, I find the term, well, rather stupid. One would have to see every dog, everywhere, to be able to verify such a thing. Labels again. Pffft! A great dog is a great dog, is a great dog, is a great dog.
    If two great dogs compete, one will prove any certain degree better than the other......and win. Depending on how things went, the loser isn't necessarily "a great dog no longer." He could and can still be a great dog.
    We are over prone to "catch" labels and initials.
    "He is or was a great dog". "He is or was a great producer." People actually spend money, sometimes big money, based on and chasing these meaningless "tags", when an honest opinion of experienced, non bias dogmen would be more accurate and better serving.
    As far as "ducking" goes: I think there are two different situations here, and both aren't being considered.
    On one hand, if you are talking about specific dogs, then Steely is correct in saying that your determination of what a competition dog is, is the crux of the matter. If it is that you feel it will take a special dog to out compete your dog, and you let its weight be known, then turn down others who meet your call, then I say you are surely being selective, and are ducking.
    If someone calls you, and they have a dog quite well known as a great one, and you just don't have a dog that weight which is what your determinations tell you is a competition dog, and you tell him such, then you are merely being honest.
    You may, at any given time, only have dogs which are too old, up and coming dogs, and pups, and none his weight yet, to accommodate ANYONE, and not just his great dog.
    Chances are, someone with a great dog will be called upon. That person isn't usually trying to call out others. They shouldn't be, anyway. Not unless it's another highly touted dog of the same known weight.
    If he is scouting around to find easy spots in order to make his dog a ch or gr ch, then he is the one actually ducking by virtue of spot picking, actually more so than someone who just doesn't have the right dog for the occasion at the time, or that weight.
    So, there are different situations which may not determine whether someone is truly ducking or not. And again, if your criteria for a competition dog is that it is up to the task vs most anything, and it would take a special or rare dog to out compete it, then make known its weight, you have NO reason to sidestep anyone, and if you do, yes, you are now ducking.

9. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

There are plenty of kennels on this side of the pond that seek the best dogs and best kennels to compete against. But why on earth would anybody hook into a dog they considered great with a dog that they just considered was worth a bet?

10. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Because that is how your dog becomes great, by beating the great dogs out there. I guess my definition of ducking would be after one has declared his dog open. If I say my 37 is open, then he is open to whomever and whatever picks it up. If I say he is open and the greatest dog in the world picks it up I see that as a golden opportunity. I take it. You can always pick up a game dog and improve from there. No one can duck, breed and get better, but they can duck (save money and face) then breed (make more money). I have never seen or heard of a dog that if I had one at that weight I would pass on the opportunity to measure up. S

11. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Slim have you ever had a medicore dog? If you did why hook that dog into gr ch buck or gr ch art just because he could make their weights? I believe you should know 1 of 2 things about a dog after you have schooled him and before you match him. 1. You have a dog who has proven himself game by what ever test YOU believe in wether that is making him push 10lbs or 2 dogging him. Or the 2nd thing you should know before you match a dog is that you dog had completely demolished or killed good dogs that were bigger and more experienced than him, therefore letting you know what the dog should be capable of with a dog his size. If you know the 1st thing about your dog i dont think it is necessary to match him i to a gr ch Art for 30k just to end up picking him up. This is much to expensive for a game test. Now on the other hand if your dog was the 2nd dog i described then by all means hook into Art and see where he really stacks up. Jmo and sorry for the long post.

12. like art modell would say " just win baby".

13. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

the old term "Scared money dont make money"comes mind.But if you knew the dice were loaded youd be a fool to drop a bet

14. Is it ducking when I want to match yo hound and u want to raise the pot way out of my range but u say u can kill me in :20 easy

15. tubrunwva

tubrunwva Big Dog

Al Davis r.i.p said just win baby

16. SVKNLS

SVKNLS Pup

To be the best, you must beat the best. Simple rule to live by I'd say. If you don't have faith in the dog you have use him as fertilizer and get one you do have faith in. If you want to duck, just get out and save it for the real players. JMO, not trying to hurt anyones feelings.

17. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

Because eventually if you pick the opposition with a dog just worh a bet, your dog might end up with a title just like the great dog when he should not even be mentioned in the same book as the great dog...let alone the same page...
    Ducking and spot picking are the same thing, because when you duck what you considered the best, you will evetually pick comp wich you considered beatable.
    The truth is when that below par ch of yours has that title chances are that he'll get studded to a lot of bitches, of unknowing owners, but you'll stud him anyway because he has the title and making some dough because of it...then he'll probably produce loads of dogs that will also just be worth a bet..just my opinion.
    It's a different thing if you want to see if he is worth breeding, cos then you'll take him into something worthwhile to have his oil checked...winning or losing, you'll know what you have, because then you'll know for sure whether he is worthwhile being utilized as a stud.

18. mitchm

mitchm Pup

Doesn't a gamedog always have a chance to win?

19. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I never said pick the opposition. Not knowingly hooking into an ace or freak of nature dog is different from calling one out. If you call a weight and the ace picks it up then by all means find out what your dog is really made of but if you know you have a good dog that is out matched by another dog you saw go then dont go calling that dog out trting to prove a point. Just like ruching a young dog is bad management on the owners part so is hooking your dog into a dog that is clearly out of his leauge.

20. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

So management is what it's called these days...LOL
    There was a legendary 2xW whom nobody wanted any part of. As he looked unbeatable, but a buddy with a dog rated to have no chance, stopped him short of 3 hrs. He became the legend slayer, so many will never find that out I guess.
    And the legend became a cur, another thing many will never find out about the legendary unsoppable dogs, just because nobody thought so...