1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

drooling uncontrollably when going for ride...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by hozomeen, May 20, 2009.

1. hozomeen

hozomeen Big Dog

Im not sure why, but every time i put my l0 month old gyp in the car to go for a ride, before i even close the door, she begins salivating and frothing at the mouth and it only gets worse to the point of vomiting. Its crazy. She's done this since i picked her up at 6 months old. Any of my other dogs dont have any issues going for a ride. She doesnt freak out or anything, she just drools like mad and froths? The thing is there is a show this weekend about 3.5 hours away. Any ideas? Experience with this? Will she be fine to travel and show (aadr)? Iv been trying to desensitize her by going for short trips but she turns on like a faucet every time!?

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I have a 20 week old pup that does the exact same thing, I just chalked it up as he isn't use to the car rides yet and the changing in motions that come with a car ride upsets his stomach, I thought this was strange, having never had a dog do this before, (especially since I drove 14 hours with him when I picked him up from down south and he didn't so much as make a peep the whole ride) but now every time we get in the car he looks rabid at the mouth usually followed by an up-chuck.........I just figured I would try more frequent trips with him but shorter distances till he gets the hang of riding in a car........

3. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

yeah she sounds nervous to me. mojo was terrible in a car when he was younger. he got carsick every time. i had to give raven dromamine. after awhile mojo got better. it took a few months though.

4. mindogg

mindogg Pup

i would like to hear more about this. i use to have a dog that would do the same. this dog would throw up every single time if he was in the car. he couldnt go 1 mile to the nearest park without doing this.

5. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

our rule was: mojo doesn't eat 2 hours before any trip. dromamine works good though to calm the dog down and prevent carsickness. we didn't do that for mojo b/c we were on our way to the dog shows and i wanted him to be alert for the show. i took raven on a 14hr trip and gave her some dromamine beforehand, she was calm pretty much the whole way there. good luck.

6. hozomeen

hozomeen Big Dog

Dramimine? Ill try it. whats the dose for a 33lb dog?

7. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

my pup always gets carsick-its nasty ,the only thing you can do is give them dramamine and hope they grow out of it...
    id try a half a pill to start out:)

8. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

One thing that i've had pretty good success with that helped stop the vomiting is ginger. You can pretty much give it in any form but I used 500 mg capsules about 45min before hand. Some dogs do better on an empty stomach, some it makes it worse.

It can be a lot of work but I worked with desensitizing my dog to the car in general. I'd throw treats inside when we weren't going anywhere, sit in it with her for a few minutes and then get out and do it again randomly a few hours later. Then when she became calm just being in the car (no drooling and was able to lay down calmly) I started the car. That took a while to get over but I just kept doing the same thing.

Then started giving her ginger, taking her on short trips around the block and when she got home it would be play time or time to work so it would be something she looked forward to. As we started taking longer trips I always made sure we went somewhere fun for a while. Overall it took about a month of doing it every day. Now there are no problems.

Some also suggest that it is a vitamin B/B6 deficiency and that proper doses of that before hand will help as well but I've never tried that. Good luck!