1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Don Mayfield vs Bob Lemm

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by doubledog, Mar 1, 2010.

1. doubledog

doubledog Pup

Hello everyone, i wondered if any of u guys knows the story about mayfield vs lemm? I know they both where great conditioners but what i wanted to know is if anyone knows who won more shows betweend this two cinditioners??? Thanks

2. I dont have any evidence but I thought it would be Mayfield he was one of the best about at that time and used to condition several at the same time.

3. LivewireT

LivewireT Big Dog

mayfield Had a lot of winners but only a couple of multi time winners
    Edge Lemm imho

4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

if you go by reported DM would be my guess. although livewireT don went into more notable dogs then lemm.

5. rebeard

rebeard Big Dog

do your homework as to when mayfield published his keep , lemm only talked of condtionioning AFTER

6. Limewire you are very mistaken about Mayfield not having multiple time winners, he had many 3,4 and even 6 time winners.

And with all due respect for Lemm, when he came down here the dogs he went into were much better conditioned, they lost all 5 that day to a young kennel mainly due to conditioning.

7. KINGKRACKER1

KINGKRACKER1 Big Dog

from what ive read about mayfeild....couldnt noone condition a dog beteer during his dog days...especially in the matches in florida he knew how to condition a dog for them exremeley hot and humid summer nights..

8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

king don't be fooled there have been some top notch conditioners in florida. the guy mr.laposey got buster from mr.shivers was every bit as good as don from what the older folks say about the two great.& i wouldn't be suprised if he learnd a thing or two from the boys down here.

9. Ben, Mayfield learned to condition from Earl Tudor and George Saddler, and then he improved on it. He was the first to develop and use the catmill keep, he was the first to use anabolics but then decided he could do just as well with diet. He and Saddler were the first to combine anabolics with azium. He taught many of the other dogmen to condition, one of the best of them being Bobby Hall.

Gamepit69 likes this.
  10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

in all reality gringo we don't really know who was the first to do what. but we know who first went public with those things. don didn't have a manopoly on conditioning neather did earl or saddler because folks for the most part weren't telling there secret. you don't need a jenny or juice to have one go the distance that's a fact. guys were showing great dogs regardless of what keep or techniques they implemented in there keep.

11. All I'm saying is that Mayfield was at the forefront of developing new and different conditioning techniques, many of which are used today in one way or another.
    As I stated before, Mayfield taught many dogmen to condition such as Hall, Fontenot and Stinson (who later teamed up with Lemm), just to name a few.
    At that time people would bring their dogs to Mayfield to condition from all over and at one time 5 of the 10 dogs being shown at the Red River convention were being conditioned on Mayfield's yard.
    If you read through the match reports during the 60's and 70's you will find that the names you posted are rarely mentioned, in fact Shivar is the only one I recognize being in the core of the game at that time.
    Now I know you are not talking anyone down and I never took it that way. What we are doing here is just trying to put things straight as far as the history of the game goes and I am sure those folks could put one in excellent shape as well as many others such as Danny Burton who showed an excellent conditioning at a very young age when he prepared Sherwood's dog to match against Mayfield's Hondo.
    But if we are talking about who was most influential and breaking ground in conditioning it is my opinion that Mayfield was first and foremost in that area of the game.

Gamepit69 likes this.
  12. LivewireT

LivewireT Big Dog

''

Name em Gringol

13. Boze

Boze Top Dog

according to lemm don never went into top notch dogmen. he never once went into stinson and glover who were top notch back then in texas well i believe it was texas where they lived. from lems letters he put don to shame, but you can not believe everything you read. so the truth i unless you were alive and knew them both the truth is lost, you might gt bits and pieces , but the little wars they had in those letters were very interesting and a good read. they are in the American Gamedog times Vol 4 i believe the newest one out is the one they are and i think it is 4

david63 likes this.
  14. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Don and Bob had a lot of war of words in the dog magazines .Mayfield was a very good dogman that learned from very good dogmen then put what he learned from them together.But Mayfield was always trying to get better.Mayfield went into the top dogs and dogmen of his time. Saddler,Tudor,Kinard,Sikes just to name some was very good with a wealth of knowledge.Mayfield is the best known.Danny Burton said it the best Don was the best at conditioning in his time and if he came back he would show everyone why he was the best.

15. theoak

theoak Pup

Lemm all the way.

Mayfield had a shitload of dogs and how many of them went on being real winners?
    the best dogman imo is the one that wins the most with fewer dogs

david63 likes this.
  16. Oak I believe you have your information wrong. Mayfield used to keep a yard of around 30 dogs plus some pups. This is not a shitload of dogs, it's a normal size yard. Your comment regarding winning the most with the fewest dogs shows you have little understanding about dogs. These people had shows going on every other weekend and it would be impossible to put a dog through so much so soon and have it see the next morning. Also, anyone who knows anything will tell you that practice makes perfect so to the contrary of your statement, the more a person practices something, the better they get.

Limewire you are asking me to name all the dogs Mayfield had that were multiple winners? Mayfield matched over 100 times and he bred very few dogs so when you want me to name dogs do you mean dogs he bred or dogs he conditioned and matched. Mayfield conditioned many dogs for other people as well so do you want me to name those too?

I'll try and throw some of the better known ones out of the top of my head and if you like later I can do some research and name more.
    I guess the first dog he conditioned that became well known was Fitzwater's dog Goldie who was a 4xw. He had his Lightning dog that was a 2xw-2lg. That Tish bitch who won 5 or 6 before he sold her. She was of Mayfield's and Coplin's breeding I think. Then of course Ch Gomer and Ch 400, the bitch named Black who was a 4xw, she was bred to a son of Lightning and produced the 2xw bitch Tuffy that belonged to Orday. Mayfield owned Cry Baby who was a 4xw, the Hondo dog who won 2, Ch Bear and Go Devil who I think won 4, Go Devil went on to produce Ch Willy. He conditioned and matched Zeke, Bolio's sire, Alligator, Tombstone, Benny Bob, the Tuffy bitch who was a 4xw I believe, I don't recall how many Pusher won but it was a few and there are many more dogs that don't come to mind at the moment.

As far as Stinson and Glover, it was Don Mayfield who taught Stinson how to condition a dog.

Gamepit69 likes this.
  17. gar

gar Banned

Mayfields official record of contract matches not including i would imagine one hundredsof rolls over his years ,at a guess stands at 104 MATCHES 84 WINS 20 LOSES AND DRAWS .I think we can safely say that he was the guvnor in the box .

18. gar

gar Banned

The record is officialy 104 matches 84 wins 20 lost or drawn for don mayfield know to me as the GUVNOR

19. Hey Gar, he had a fawn colored dog near the 80's that destroyed everything they put on it. Its name started with a Y or a Z or something. No one wanted any part of that dog and it was open for most of its life... do you remember that dogs name by chance?
    And do you remember what dog it was he wanted to match into Art that made them sell Art out of the state? Was it the same dog??

20. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

For my money The boys at STP were as good as any and better than most . And Giroux was as good as you could ask for .