1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dogmen lie, so do dogfood companies

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mr.Mr.203, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

For maximum digestion benefits, I agree...

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I miss typed a part in that last post. Dogs are omnivores not carnivores.

3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I hear what you're saying but it's not cheaper if you add gas also and one has to factor in every dollar spent. The times I listed were one way trips, double the time for me to get back home with the raw food. Plus I'm taking that amount of time to go get food when I could be putting that time into the dogs. When I can go to one of two feed stores close to me that sell Victor dog food and be home within 15-20 mins.

And like AGK said and I agree 100%, take into account how much time one spends going from place to place getting the "deals". I know I did it for sure. Drove waaaaaaay out of the normal route because somebody had a deal compared to the normal place. Don't get me wrong, I loved the results and I plan to go back to it when I have a better source than the stores but not many people get away with feeding raw cheaper than I do feeding Victor grain free.

Take into account organ price, salmon oil price, coconut oil price, ACV price, chicken price, beef price etc. and it all adds up to a lot pretty quick. I couldn't imagine feeding a large yard a raw diet. Half of my day would be stuck mixing rations of each thing and feeding. It's time consuming and one also has to take into account that as well. If somebody has a dog or two and sits around all day playing video games than I guess they'd have all that time to do that but I just can't.

One more time, I LOVED feeding raw but to do it CORRECTLY it costs more than kibble, in my opinion and experience.

4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I've been feeding Diamond Naturals for about 5 yrs..no complaiints , dogs look good and love the taste.

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I've had the same results as treez and I don't live in the boonies. I live in a populated city where it's a quick drive to just about any store. It still was more expensive. I would love to just feed raw but it's just not possible for the price I feed a middle of the road type kibble like Diamonds Naturals. I don't even want to get into the time spent preparing meals for a small yard of 8. I've tried it for over a decade on and off and have never spent less on Raw. That's including shooting a deer every year and also other animals throughout the year. If I didn't have to work 10 hour days, have a family and other obligations other than just dogs it might get close price wise but there just isn't enough hours in the day for me to make it worth my wild. If you got a good hook up on bulk meat then you can definitely feed raw cheaper but not everyone has that kind of a connection at hand.

6. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Yeah it takes connections to feed raw. The only time I've ever tried to feed raw and it be cheaper is when I was a meat cutter and had access to free and greatly reduced price meats

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

7. frogs

frogs Big Dog

The "beef" liver is an organ...

8. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

You're correct...
    Cj breaks it all down in his books... In fact I'm looking at pg.130 & 131(little black book). Where he breaks it all down to 1.12 per meal (not lbs, as I stated) even as low as .52 per meal... I was also comparing raw to a higher end feed like "fresh start"...

9. treezpitz

I'm sorry to keep disagreeing lol but I disagree. Maybe that was true when he wrote that book but not in 2016. One single leg quarter is about .50 and you know you have to feed more than that to make a completely balanced meal. Even 1.12 would be chicken and no other meat source which again is not recommended. Unless you have a hook up the meat prices are higher than 1.12/lb and it takes about a lb to feed a 40 or 50 lb dog. I was paying 1.50 for beef scraps and then I'd add stuff to it which ups my meal cost. If I was feeding chicken I was paying about .48/lb and then I'd add stuff to it which raised the meal cost. I agree it can be manageable I just disagree that it's cheaper to feed than a good kibble. I would rather feed raw but unless you have a hookup it's just simply not cheaper.

10. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

Wish I could post his break down chart lol btw in the break down, leg quarters are .58... I'm telling you it's cheaper on his budget raw diet... he has a healthier version also, and yes it's more expensive...
    We can agree to disagree...

11. treezpitz

His budget diet consist of rice, correct? That's grain so we can't compare his budget raw and grain free food, just not equal.

12. frogs

frogs Big Dog

Rice equals carbs, in my opinion dogs don't need carbs.

Only time I feed carbs is in between meals if I'm gonna work (strength NOT cardio, as he will run hot from the carbs) the dog right before his second feeding.

You also have to take in consideration what you're doing with the dog at the time.

13. frogs

frogs Big Dog

Disagree on what?

14. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

Good point, and very true... you win lmao lol

15. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

The subject at hand...lol

16. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Your pet dog is gonna live a long life on table scraps. It's not that deep.

17. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

Lmao
    Guess cause yours does just fine, huh....lmao@pettablescraps

18. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Because it's a damn dog not a world class athlete. All it's doing most of the day is laying around and the rest of the time licking its ass. Ol Cali Jack has you hooked with his fairy tales. Garbage budget raw diet. Just as well give Fido the dinner leftovers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  19. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Having read Cali Jacks Indispensable tips a lot read the same as any business type marketing venture where it outlays the best way about doing things if time, money and the real world don't get in the way. He recommends natures menu and all kinds of supplements that would cost an absolute fortune if you followed it to the letter.

I can see the point he makes about cheap Kibble being basically poison such as Old Roy and others and feeding an athlete but for the most part how much regular execise does a yard of 30 dogs which he uses in an example for cost actually get day in day out when they are not in a keep.

If you have a couple of dogs and take them out twice a day off leash they burn off plenty of energy and are probably not in such a sad state in the first place.

You can outline the ideal world in any venture but reality gets in the way 99% of the time.

20. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

Well yours may well be "just a dog", where mine are world class athletes... so that's all yours do...damn shame...smh cj had me hook, just like blue buffalo...lmao life goes on, and I hope you feel better now that you had made a comment...lol convo was dead, and you had to bring it back to life... good job mod!!!