1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog on Dog Aggression-can you breed it out and still have game?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by )-(aloX)-(orns, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I guess what I am asking is.. is it possible for an apbt to be very game and use it in other sports (weight pull, schutzhund, etc) instead of directing it onto another dog? Is it possible to have the same traits as a pit used for fighting with the willingness and integrity to die doing so, but instead of it being against another dog, direct it into personal protection or weight pull etc, without them losing gameness? I appologize for my lack of knowledge and if this seems to be an extremely stupid question, sorry (: i am very new to apbt and the whole "game" thing...

2. kayo45

kayo45 Top Dog

no....................

3. green machine

green machine Top Dog

truthfully and simply put

4. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

I can say yes to this, there have been cases were well bred proven dogs, could get along well with other animals outside of the box.
    The trait just isn't bred for, as much as any other

Can you have a game line of dogs without fighting them?

I doubt it!

5. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

Id say no to pp.Yes to weight pull as long as it aint running loose with others.
    Mine are off game line's butt i dont fight them,but they will at a chance.
    And what do you mean by very game?wanting at another dog it's around or turnning one from the pit to other sports.

6. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

Aggression and Gameness have little in common. Think of it this way. Just because you didnt start a fight are you going to quit once another man has assaulted you? No you dont have to be the aggressor to be the gamer of the 2. But for the other part of your question I doubt you can breed gameness consistantly without testing.

And theres only one real way to test the gameness of a bulldog.

7. Elmo

Elmo Big Dog

This has nothing to do with how the dog is bred or whatso ever. it's just a case of 1 in a million.
    A dog like that should deserve his trown. but dont be fooled and think that his offspring is gonna act alike.

the only awnser to this question is No.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

makes no sense, people weight pull these dogs all the time
    just dont let it run around loose and get to otehr dogs
    other than that if u wanna a pet friendly dog get a different breed

9. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

Whats so wrong about using then in other sports?

10. Bmf_bt

Bmf_bt Big Dog

in theory you could breed for game without the high amounts of dog aggression that comes with these dogs and get a dog that works fine with other dogs, but would still fight to the last drop of blood. In practice the really game dogs are scarce and if you were to stumble upon on the chances of it being good with other dogs is slim, and then to find another game dog who works good with other dogs makes your chances of being able to breed for these traits even less likley. Then you have to get dogs that click with eachother and start producing game dogs with little DA and so on...

As you see i it's possible, but only in theory and even in therory it seems highly unlikley to work out.

11. venom

venom Top Dog

Eventually you would probably end up with a bunch of dogs that dont like to fight
    probably high percentage of dogs that wont stick around for one either.

12. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

I can say yes to this, there have been cases were well bred proven dogs, could get along well with other animals outside of the box.
    The trait just isn't bred for, as much as any other

Can you have a game line of dogs without fighting them?

I doubt it!

13. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

I am continously amazed by people who want pitbulls but don't want them to do what they were bred to do. This is like saying, I would like a beagle who won't chase rabbits but is actually a real rabbit dog. Or, I want a german shorthair who won't point but is actually a great bird dog. I want a sighthound that can't see and won't chase anything but I still want it to be a good sighthound. I don't know why, but with pitbulls for some reason a lot of people want a sheep in wolf's clothing(yes I said that right). They want the badass reputation of the pitbull without any of the baggage that goes with it. Sorry folks....ain't happenin'. Get yourselves another breed. Don't try to turn an ass into an angel.

14. dogman82

dogman82 Pup

Thank you!!!!!!! :d

15. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Ben is right.Look u can use them for weight pull, conformation shows,and spring pole stuff. But to breed aggressiveness out of them so u have a friendly dog that socializes with other dogs, u will eventually breed what u love about them out of the dogs.Gameness and aggressiveness has nothing to do with the other.Its like getting a guard dog that is afraid of people.Whats the point.Maybe you should think about another breed of dog.

16. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Good post. I agree 100%.

17. venom

venom Top Dog

Lol! I like that.

18. LuvMyBulldogs

LuvMyBulldogs Big Dog

WEll PUT!!!! why do people believe they have to get a gamebred bulldog and turn it into a Lab baffles the hell outta me!!! there are plenty of people that have other bully breeds that will act the way you want'em to and do what u want'em to... just gotta find'em but trying to reinvent the wheel, you'll destroy the breed some of us love so much

19. SacRedboyOwner

SacRedboyOwner Top Dog

The question is how would you test for game on a dog that got dog aggression bred out of him. Might as well get a Staffy or Blue nose if you want a pet with strength. If you want a Game Bred APBT then dog agression comes with the name PIT bull.

20. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Please read and reread before you reply.

I said there have been cases in well bred/game bred dogs
    Not that its an common occurrence

Just like anything else with these dogs its an trait that can be bred for but what will you sacrifice in the process

Like someone said earlier just because my dog dosnt start the fight dosnt mean he won't fight all night

So can you breed for game dogs that are passive in day to day life yes
    Can it be done without fighting them no.