1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog has diareaha but only during exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ChAnimal, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

Hi, I recently just got a new dog (picture below) and i have been workin him for a mate of mine but what ive found is the dog does diareaha during exercise. I have worked a few to know that there is a problem. On the chain he emptys out normally but when i work him he keeps emptying out. Usually a dog will empty out once at about 5-10 min into the work, but this dog empties once then but a very small amount, then 10 min later he empties out again but with mucus, then about 10-20 min later he empties out all fluids. I have taken him to my vet and he says he doesnt know. I have also squeezed all the mucus from his anal glands and he is the first dog to turn around and act like it bothers him. If anyone has experianced this plz leave me some info.

2. RHI

RHI Big Dog

Hello,

just curious, how old is he ? also, when was the last time he was wormed ? did your vet do a stool sample ? what type of work are you doing with him ? I'm assuming your working him at a differant time of the day then feeding, & not in the heat of the day .....has he always been worked ? or is this all new to him ? could be stressed also....

3. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Some dogs just empty out differently than others.. It very well could be because of the new enviroment, different feed? different work out schedule..

It might not be a problem at all.. just how the dog does during a work out. What kind of tests did the vet do? any bloodwork ???

4. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

I agree with Rock said. I have seen dogs that start a new work out get the runs, due to getting over excited, eating to close to workout time or not being emptied "all the way" out before a workout starts. Also have you evaluated the dogs total heath before starting the workout schedule?

rocksteady likes this.
  5. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

Thank you for your replies. He is 4 yrs old. He is wormed. I am only doin 1.5hrs of roadwork. He eats about 20-40 min after walkin. Its winter where i am. He has been worked and my mate said this happen on his last. I always check blood and it was ok, but this dog does just not seem normal to me.

6. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

"Its winter where i am."
    huh?????? Austrialia?

is he drinking clean water
    does he eat grass while walking or drink from mud puddles?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  7. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

It Sounds To Me Like His Protein Is To High This Causes The Loose Stools But It Could Be From The Food Change

8. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

Or It Could Be You Are Working The S**t Out Of Him..... Lol Just Kiddin

9. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

I had a dog that did the same thing. It might be IBD, Inflamatory Bowel Disease. If it only occures when he is being exercised I wouldn't really worry about it. But if it happens more often then it is cause for concern. Just make sure he is well hydrated before and after his workouts.

10. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

lmao.........

11. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Not sure but this might be possible.
    If the dog has a high water content in his muscles,would that not transfer to a high water content in his stool when its being worked out of him?

12. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

Thanks guys. I am only doin 1 1/2 hrs of roadwork........... Could be a protien problem as he is rather muscly but it could be IBD ill check it out thank you all.