1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BigTex, May 2, 2004.

1. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

I feed Innova Dog Food. Since I made the switch from puppy to dog food about a month ago, my dog has lost 2kgs (4.4lbs) even with feeding the maximum recommended amount for very acitve or "performance" dogs. However, it has the highest amount of calories per cup than any other foods...lol so anyway, other than the fact I have to feed my little spaz even more than it recommends, I love this food. I also like the Wellness foods :)

2. NC

NC CH Dog

I was talking to my brother in law today about dog foods. He raises huntin' dogs, coon hounds especially and he feeds something called Black Gold. Does anyone here know anything about this brand he has nothing but good things to say about it.

3. NC

NC CH Dog

This is the ingredients list on the Black Gold Ultimate Pup formula... any suggestions?

Chicken, Chicken By Product Meal, Corn Meal, Fish Meal, Poultry Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols - Source Of Vitamin El, Brewer’s Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Beet Pulp, Vegetable Oil, Natural Poultry Flavoring, Potassium (‘Blonde, Dried Egg Product, Brewer’s Dried Yeast, Salt, Fructooligosaccharides, Essential Vitamins, & Proteinated Minerals

4. Dirty3rd

Dirty3rd Big Dog

Diamond here. Puppy for the pups and high energy adult for the older ones. I agree there are equally good brands out there but I've been more than satisfied with Diamond.

5. flip

flip Pup

Authority here...it's a bit pricey but my dogs seem to enjoy it!

6. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

I try to stay away from any foods with by product and fillers like corn. They've listed chicken by product meal as the second ingredient, and corn right after that. I wouldn't recommend that food. Hope that helps :)

7. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

Just to let you know, Innova Evo's protein content is too high and a lot of people have had problems with that food. Just a friendly tip. I feed Innova dog food, and I really like it. Just as good quality with a healthier protein content :)

8. Ole roy is crap. Along with everything else from wal mart. Everything is full of corn in by products. Spend the extra money money on the good food you will spend less down the road. I used to feed purina and my male alon could go through 50 bucks a month. I feed authority harvest baked to my dogs and I go through 2 40 bags a month. Costing me 64 bucks. I love it itit contains no corn or wheat no by products no aritificail coloring or flavoring.

9. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

I really want to try the Kirklands from Costco. Any reasons why I should NOT try it? I heard its comes from Diamond.. Thats the only reason why I havent tried it yet because of the problem a year ago or so..

10. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

There is a very neat food called the Verve which is a dehydrated bucket of raw food. It sounds great, pretty genius. It is sold on the Leerburg.com web site and I've seen some articles about it. I think it's the next best thing other than cooking for your canine.

My ex's father bought a bag of the cheapest dog food I've ever seen. It was actually called Dog RATION! LOL, I thought was funny... not for the dog though.

11. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

I like SportsMan's pride. I like it alot..none of my dogs really liked the old food I was feeding so I switched to that. My male and female look great and they LOVE the food.

12. NC

NC CH Dog

Think I am going to give the chicken Soup for the puppy lovers soul stuff a try. They sell it near me and its pretty reasonable. That or the Nutro.. gotta check the feed store tomrrow.

13. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I am feeding a food that has :

Analysis
    Crude Protein(min)27.0%, Crude fat (min) 11.0%, Crude Fiber(max)3.5%, Moisture(max) 10.0%, Linoleic Acid(min)1.5%, Alpha-Linolenic Acid(min).3%, Calcium;Phosphorus Ratio 1.5:1.0

Ingedients
    Fresh Beef, ground yellow corn, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, beef and bone meal, wheat, wheat middlings, animal fat, flaxseed, yeast culture, fish meal, calcium carbonate, dicalcium, phosphate,potassium chloride(isn't this poison?), salt, choline chloride, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, dried whole whey, vitamin E, manganese proteinate, vitamin A supplement, beta carotene, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, niacin, lecithin, riboflavin supplement, biotin, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cobalt proteinate, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, sodium selenite.

I am pretty ignorant as to what most of those words mean. Is this bad kibble or not?

14. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

I use the chicken soup for puppy and love it . I think I am going to start skipping puppy food all together and start them out on Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul.

15. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

Avoid fillers like corn (which a lot of dogs have problems with because they are allergic) and avoid by-products. Neither ingredient is good for the dog.

Go for health foods, much higher quality (and higher price) it'll last you a lot longer than crap food will, plus your dog will be a lot healthier :)

16. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

So is this crap food? I feed them 3 1/2 cups per day, and that is the high side rating off the bag.

17. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

What do they weigh? My dog is 47lbs and I feed 2.5 cups per day (for very active or performance dogs)...Actually I've had to up it to 3 cups because he is losing weight, but that's not very common, his metabolism is still very fast. Here's some foods I like and would recommend: Wellness, Innova, Canidae, Nature's Variety and I've also heard Timberwolf is very good (I haven't seen the ingredients before).

18. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

the heaviest female that I have now weighs about 50, and really, she needs to lose alittle. The female in my sig pic is the heaviest one that I have now. I have a pup that will be larger when grown. I have mostly gone for the game dogs. One of the best dogs I ever had weighed 32#. All of my dogs are short. Tallest being about a hand below my knee. Chopper is my only male on the place now(Gaff), I do have two more coming, one of which I am very excited about. Sorrell on bottom and Beaudrox on top (I know I prob. mispelled it).

Jay

19. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

Boss is kinda tall, I think...but it might just be because I'm short ha. He's just above my knee. Anyway, check out some of those foods and look at the ingredients, I don't understand all of the terms, but I do understand most. If you like, I can grade the foods for you. I know Innova is about 112 grade A+ food.:)

20. jratl1

jratl1 Pup

Does anyone feed their dogs Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium I haven't seen any opinons on it. I also heard that it is better to feed a puppy adult dog food than starting them out on puppy food. What is yalls outlook on that?