1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do hard men create hard dogs?

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by CopperOFRN, Feb 3, 2024.

1. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

If you’re going to be dumb, you’ve gotta be tough(thanks Knoxville). The hardest dogs I’ve seen are up here in NY. Dudes do weird shit up here. Closets/fasting/gun powder/ dumb shit. I spend time with my animals. You can see where they’re naturally going to grow. Time is the key. No short cuts folks. Also - I’m soft as baby shit….after prunes.

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

A difference between being hard and being dumb (but being dumb is hard on the animals).

There was a guy hear here that maybe had one of the gamest strains of Eli dogs on any one yard I had ever seen. There was thirty plus dogs on the chains and every last one had seen the other side. If a young dog leaned forward and got the chain tight meant he was ready and the bomb was dropped on him. He believed in the two dog process and every dog there had been stretched out by one, then doubled on with a fresh one. He would walk a dog into a chain space the next day and the actions best be positive.

Was he hard? Absolutely. Did it give him a yard full of hard dogs? Absolutely. Did he cull some dogs that had every chance to be just as good as the one beside him a little later down the road? Absolutely.

Was he dumb? Matter of opinion. He knew what he wanted and he found a way to get there. Thirty plus dogs that were all checked as hard as any other dog anywhere. Any dog there was a bulldog.

S

3. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

I’d call that commitment.

4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

test and cull !

5. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

Of course! You game dog guys have it easy. Test and cull. Sounds romantic. The only dogs culled out of my yard bit a human, or were a genetic disappointment. I’ve found the best I could and have been giving hell ever since. Couple ribbon whores and some mean dogs. Nothing impressive, but I’ve got exactly what I’m looking for.

6. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have what you were looking for that is as good as it gets. It does not matter how it lines up or compares to other dogs or other owners.

I look out the back door and wish I had exactly what I have been looking for.....LOL

S

FrozenEli and bamaman like this.