1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dam and son breedings

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mickeyg, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

I no this happens quite offten but I was woundering if any one could give me some info on the pro's and cons am not big fan on breeding my dogs because I am not clued up I leave it to the fokes that are but I have done it once and all pups came out as I expected and I was thinking if I was to breed my bitch again my own stuff is the best I can get hold of so would a son mum breeding be ok as the dogs in the ped 5/6 gens back have no been inbred or line bred but still kept a lot of the same bloodlines if that makes sense lol

Cheers

2. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Iv heard not to do it, that you are breeding backwords - but see lots of daughter to father.
    It will be interesting to see if any of the knowledgable breeders hit on this subject.

3. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

..it's more common than ya think...first weigh up why ya want to do it..all the pros+cons,,,as with any breeding it's a roll of the dice...but with incestual breeding it can multiply any problems,,the advantage is what ya say about the ped there has'nt been much off it all-ready..preflerby a grandparent/g-son/daughter..would suit better but it's really up to your-self..theres close breeding then theres to close..(nature has a safe-gaurd to stop inbreeding,,and that can be deformity).??,,so check all options first...have seen it a-lot times with no problems,,it can be the problems ya can't see.dohh..

4. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

Cheers lads keep it coming !!

5. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Like B8B said it's not unusual and shouldn't be any prob with it if there isn't any history of inbreeding already. I have done it before, but only with outcross dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

McCoy, I don't think it's considered breeding backward. That's an entirely different thing. What I do consider it is "preserving", yet it doesn't preserve in itself, it preserves in much better percentage if one uses the same criteria as one does with ALL breedings, and that is, to use the best (gamest) individuals with which to do such a breeding. Goes for ANY inbreeding/tight breeding one may do. It should be with the same quality control as ANY breeding.

What you might be thinking of as far as "backward" is, that when inbreeding, many recessives rush directly to the front. It will show in your new generation to one degree or another.

7. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I am glad you came to shine a bit of light.
    the person who said that has experience breeding and was speaking in terms of the specific breeding. Basically a daughter to father had been done previous, and this is why this person was instructed to not do as said.
    your post makes that picture a bit clearer to me and I hope others may gain the same -

great post TDK

8. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

Thanks for the replys fellas it's all making more sense to me now cheers

9. keystone

keystone CH Dog

not a fan of father & daughter breeding .....
    but when the 2 are ok ..and you believe give try

10. tony.macc.52

tony.macc.52 Big Dog

As been said,take a good long look at the two animals n really be honest with self! I personally believe n no other forms of breeding other than inbreeding or close line breeding!!.. I have few dogs compared to many "6total on my yard n three ready accessible " but all my animals r one family.....s/d to my brood bitch,litter mate brother to my brood which I bred n produced 4 out of 6 nice pups,screw the rest I kept the best,my DeadEye dog which I bred back to my brood/his mother n produced the best litter I've ever produced (8n20) game,loyal and super intelligent!..now with me saying that I must admit two of the four remaining"now 2yrs old"don't possess the vigor/zing of the animals before them! So all n all TDK,B8B n CB205 gave u the real,there r definitely pros n con's,consider how close animals r bred,,my brood's from a scatter breeding,; n be sure u truly lv your animal because u gonna be doubling up,.if I seen one of my broods pups I've seen them all because I c her personality (or should I say animalality) n appearance/structure the more they mature!