1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

conditioning

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by dmoreken, Apr 21, 2010.

1. dmoreken

dmoreken Pup

What is a good method to start a puppy to get to pulling on the rope? Do I need to soak the rope in some kind of beacon grease or do I hang a piece of raw hide from the end of the rope give me some suggestions.

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

you dont...
    i learned the hard way a few years back:sad0049:

3. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

How old is the puppy?

4. dmoreken

dmoreken Pup

So spring pole or letting them tug from a tree is a no-no?:confused:

5. dmoreken

dmoreken Pup

She is 6 months old

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Well i wouldn't! lol
    If you do tug do it light, i would say no to spring pole
    teeth just break really easily

7. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

if theyre too young they WILL ruin their teeth, some pups just arent mouthy, gamebred pups will hit hard, scatter breds will just stay cold mostly like bullys . dont soak a rope or toy, theyll try to swallow it, and then youll have to shoot peroxide down the hatch so they will throw up what theyve swallowed

8. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

The best suggestion I can give you is to get a flirt pole and use that for now. Hides work really good. Let the pup catch it once in a while to keep it interested. Stop the work before the the pup gets bored. When the pup does catch it, go easy on the teeth but I don't think it will hurt to let some tugging happen just don't let it get too intense.

9. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

i wouldnt start any dog , doing any thing , unless it showed you it wanted to do it . in your case if the pup dont wont to pull on rope , i have to question why you would want it to?

10. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

at that age the best you canuse is a tennis ball on the end of a string...swinging it back and forth...if the pry drive is there they will chase and grab like there is no tomorrow...never jerk it out of her mouth or allow her to swing off the ground....the teeth at that age will not hold up...and do not make it tasty as the next thing she will do is eat it and then it will be $$$ for you or RIP for her....both will suck...US1

11. dmoreken

dmoreken Pup

Ok thanks for the info I do appreciate the hookups

12. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

get a fishin pole with a rag or old sock at the end, flirt it around a lil, this should make a pup at least want to chase it,then next thing u kno ur pup may be bitin

13. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

yeah if you try to force the pup to do it then the pup might grow up hating it. There are lots of other exercises to do, i would stay aay from any sort of tug is possible. Run , Walk, and swim. Fetch is a good one

14. dmoreken

dmoreken Pup

:DThanks to everyone I will take these ideas to heart and not rush anything

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

wait till the pups bout a year, maybe play fetch a LITTLE tug with a sock or sumthin but never pull harder than your pup is or youll pull some teeth.

spring pole is fine after a year or so, just make sure atleast the back 2 feet are touchin ground (better with all for though, better workout)

16. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog