1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Common Disputes

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by tommy3, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

There seems to be alot of anger from non-gamedog owners towards the members of this board that is here to preserve the breed and the other way around. I am hoping that this thread can be a source for people to discuss many of the issues that arise concerning common disputes.

Everything following is from my view. I am sure there other veteran members that may feel differently. Feel free to express your views as adults. We are all grown ups and should not resort to put downs and insults. It will never get our points across.

DISRESPECT
    It seems to be a common issue that people are upset that various members may occasionally "disrespect" their dogs. The truth is, the people that do so are making these comments because we desperately want to preserve the breed and many of the people joining as of late do not share the same goal. Therefore, breeding and condoning the breeding of dogs that are out of standard. Negative comments, although harsh, are meant to be nothing more than a plea for people to stop breeding and buying dogs that are becoming a burden for us and the general population. We do understand that dogs of game lines are often too much for most people. But, that is no reason to go out and alter a breed for your liking. Please, get a dog of a different breed if you can't handle them. If you can't handle the whole package and you like the look, get an amstaff. They are purposely bred to keep the look but to be less high maintenance and please call them as what they are.

BREEDING
    I have seen a few posts that make references to many of the game line owner's views of breeding as being biased. It has been said that we condone the breeding of our style of dogs and do not condone any other.
    For the most part, we do not condone the breeding of dogs period. There are too many out there already. But, if you do breed it should be a breeding that will benefit the breed as a working dog. Not a pretty dog. We definitely do not condone breeding of dogs that are prone to be a problem to society (i.e. dogs bred for looks only). As it has been stated before, most members do not have an issue with people who breed their dogs for show or other purposes as long as they call them what they are.

ATTITUDE
    There has been constant unnecessary bickering on both sides of the fence. If our veteran members word things differently, new members may take note. No one wants to listen to someone that is rude. If the new members actually listen (instead of immediately taking offense) you may learn something. Most of the members that do make comments concerning new members dogs have been around these dogs for many years, if not most of their lives. They have a wealth of knowledge and live for these dogs and not make a living off of them. We take our breed very seriously and we get upset when we see someone who is contributing to the downfall of our breed (especially those who know it but continue to do so). But, we can learn to tread lightly and it may help to raise the amount of knowledge new members take in.

****There are many other topics that could/should be discussed. Please feel free to post them in a respectful manner and try not to go too far off base. No one likes a smart a** and a smart a** never gets their point across. Let's be adults.****

2. B

B CH Dog

You hit the nail on the head! Thanks :)

B

3. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Good post TommyT.

4. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

Could'nt agree more.........

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Well said TommyT this should be put in the newbies section for them to read.

6. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Nice post couldnt have said it better

7. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

Sorry to post on this so late but this is a great thread.

8. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Excellent post & points made. I too am guilty of being rather abrasive at times. But Dammit, Ignorance can be so frustrating!

9. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

Good post Tommy

10. pulldoginks

pulldoginks Banned

How so very try. Good post tommyt.

11. Bakercloud

Bakercloud Big Dog

Great post, and as a new member I am trying to cover as much discussion as possible before posting threads.

12. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

thank you...dogs are like their owners lets set a good example...

13. dianabol

dianabol Big Dog

Excellent post & points made. I too am guilty of being rather abrasive at times. But Dammit, Ignorance can be so frustrating!

SFK SAID IT ALL!

14. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

;) You said it! Rep points for you!!! Even though I am a newbie here!!

15. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I have no problem with responsible experienced people breeding dogs to be "game". The problem here in California is ignorant irresponsible people breeding dogs for money, abusing the dogs, letting the dogs run loose in the street without shots or any sort of training, ill-fed, ill-housed(if they aren't just chained in the front yard and beaten and neglected.) This is not just so-called "breeders" of pit bulls, but also Rottweilers, and other "macho" breeds. These people are destroying a wonderful type of dog because they don't know what they are doing...
    A dog aggressive dog is a special responsibility...
    Thanks for the post, I'll try not to take offense at any comments people may make. I am here to read all the good advice and take with a grain of salt some of the not-so-good advice.
    Like someone said.."consider the source".
    Good post, I don't wish to offend anyone, just here to listen and learn and throw in my two cents

16. true, true..

17. K_BHOY

K_BHOY Pup

As a newbie that was a very good read & I like to learn as much as I can keep up the good work Guys & Gals

18. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

good post tommy

19. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

Couldn't have been put any better.

20. Suki

Suki Guest

VERY much agree. Thought this way, myself=seemed kinda foolish and petty, being that what brings us all here, is the love of the breed itself=whether that be pet bull, or game.

Life is short=may you ALWAYS be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
    Good post. Very thought provoking and insightful.
    needed to be said...