1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Colby or chinaman?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Fedor23, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diggit

diggit Banned

whats wrong with UKC dogs? i have a few and they do look quite alike...they are great dogs! i dont like large dogs they are hard to handle but they are still good.
    if i remember corectly its most of you talking bad about UKC dogs..... AKA staffs.

2. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

well diggit it seems you won't be happy until someone agrees with you,,, colby has made a legacy with his dogs and they still go strong reguardless what you want to here,,,i still want a chinaman to go with my colby just to have one,,,lol,,, but maybe right time right place i'll get one

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Okay, so since the original question didn't address gameness, just which was better for conformation, weight pull, agility, etc, I'd have to say... Either. It'd be a task getting a really hot dog to the point where they're reliable in agility, but its been done. Neither of the lines you mention have been specifically bred for any of the sports you listed, so I'd say you have an equal chance with both.

I would just pick a dog and work it, see how it goes. JMO, but I like to win or lose with what I have, rather than picking the best line for a particular sport. But I'm a "weekend warrior," not a serious full-time competitor, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Get a dog you can live with, socialize it heavily while its young, start the training young, and when you're ready, go for it. Best of luck either way.

4. toddrock

toddrock Big Dog

Why don't you just admit you made an ignorant, uneducated statement about something you know absolutely nothing about, or have any real experience with. Aside from being "told from a very very exsperinaced member that these dogs (the dogs of today) are not bred for game", as you put it(direct quote from you), what made you come to such an idiotic conclusion? Examples are laid out to you plain and simple by Stillwater and you still don't get it? You never heard of Virgil??? Do you even know what ROM means??? Have you any idea how many CH. and 2xw's he has produced??? I don't even know why so much time was wasted on you. You're an idot, plain and simple.

Some words of advice for you, It's better to be silent and appear and idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

debodebo likes this.
  5. simms

simms CH Dog

Whatever....No I'm not offended.

The information givin to you and the world wide web is recent enough.FYI those are the dogs of today....Not to mention if anyone was to omitt anything to you ....they are Nothin short of being stupid!

Being that your girl....well that means little to me.

You got Rocks up there ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
    debodebo likes this.
  6. diggit

diggit Banned

ya VIRGIL is outcrossed with jeep..... and so is another he posted crossed with chinaman.....

when you click the others what do you see in the pedigrees?

its blank..... NO ROM's no wins no anything.... what does this tell you?
    there is only a few with "rubin 3xw" in there as the sire but thats it. the rest of the ped.... its blank.
    make sense?

7. planecrazy

planecrazy Big Dog

Stillwater-
    Thanks for these links!

8. Primo

Primo Pup

You are quite confused and your inexperience shows with a statement like this. There is nothing that says a breeder has to test their brood stock themselves to achieve gameness (or any other desired qualities). Put a few pups in the right hands [​IMG] and the feedback you recieve will guide your future breedings. By the way, just because a dog is a ch does not mean it will produce future champions, non tested dogs can produce gameness if you know what you are doing. It's all in the genetics, knowing how to properly line breed, feedback, etc. Louis has owned, and produced some of the best dogs to ever look through a collar over the last 40+ years. Not the kind of man to just give it up for the show ring.
    If i ever got an email from someone asking me if I "hunt" my dogs, my response would be "If you have to ask then you don't need to own one of my dogs."
    I have checked out many websites over the years, didn't run across any who claim to game test. I guess that means there are no game dogs left.......

P

debodebo likes this.
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Well Said !!!!

10. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

I believe it was said above, but the origional question was not are the Colby dogs game, but which dogs, Chinaman or Colby bred, were better in conformation showing. This person was asking for facts, not opinions on the bloodlines and he did not ask if they were game today. It was a simple answer. Colby or Chinaman? I agree with everyone here. Don't speak about something that you do not have direct assocation with. I know people with both Colby and Chinaman bred dogs and both have done equally well in show, weight pull, and even treadmill. Also, stating your case by bringing in the fact that they were crosses was a long shot. Some great dogs were crosses, sorry I don't have any examples on me and I may be wrong, so anyone correct me. I understand that you were "trying" to help, but the simple question was Colby or Chinaman? My opinion. I like both. So to the person asking the question, either. If you can get your hands on a well bred or either, I'd see what you could do. Hey, if finances are good, see what you can do with both. Remember, dogs do different in different registeries. I have found it to be true what some people I know have said, you can do great in AADR or do great in ADBA, but rarely both.

P.S. I'll not continue with your thoughts on UKC dogs, I believe you sort of contradicted yourself, I'll have to re read to check.
    I apologize in advance if I missed something or said something incorrect, please, anyone, correct me on anything if I'm wrong!

TY

Beth

11. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

To be perfectly honest, I think Chinman dogs as a whole are more conformationally correct then Colby dogs as a whole.

The main reason I say this is Colby dogs tend to run a little long. Conformationally this hurts, but if you got one eating your stiffle out, you can see where it would be an advantage. Or so I have been told.:)

12. diggit

diggit Banned

i dont agree, you have to test to make sure your dog is game.... you cant tell buy looking at it or going by "genetics" if you breed before you know you could be breeding curs.... the parents could be cold as ice for all they know.

even them if thats the way they do it you would see ROM's in the pedigree but when you look... its blank.

otherwise i would be going around saying "yeah when my girl grows up shes gunna be game! just like her grandsire!"

of coarse people dont have "game tested"! all over there website! talking to people lets you know....

13. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

whooooweeeeeee!!! somebody help me say it ain't so.......even I undarstand what this means.....

14. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

diggit, you said in your most recent post you CAN'T tell if a dog is game by phyiscally looking at them but in a previous post you said you CAN tell the Colby dogs havent been game tested by the way they look. You seem to have contradicted yourself

and I dont have a problem breeding to or getting dogs off a cold dog.

a cold dog isnt a cur because it never started, nothing wrong with breeding to a cold dog IMO

15. diggit

diggit Banned

i can tell if they are pics of showing..... you cant take a scarred up dog to a show at ANYTIME.

16. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

your post makes no sense, I dont understand what youre trying to say

17. simms

simms CH Dog

You may not beable to but chances are good I'll pull a ribbon....provided they dont look like Homer. Now pull your head out of your ass.

18. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

ok

Diggit, you think all the dogs at conf shows havent had teeth in them before? lol

youre lack of experience is clear, I'm not going to give you a hard time.

good luck with your dogs

19. truegames

truegames Big Dog

Obvisouly your mouth has wrote a check your a$$ can't cash why don't just admit that you don't know what the hell your talking about.

20. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Heck, 2 curs can throw game for that matter!! As far as game testing the animal, we do test them on hogs around here. Not illegal at all. Throw them in the pen with a wild catch, and I guarantee you you'll find out if that inexperienced dog is game or not. Better put a vest on the yearling first, as you might just lose the animal. A hog aint nothin to play around with, and to most inexperienced bulldogs, they'll be behind in a bit and you can see what the dog has in heart. Not illegal as far as I know, and yes, I do call that game tested, maybe noone else here does, but I do.

As far as which is better, that is a gamble. either line can throw cur, and either line can throw game. Someone said the best dogs to ever have looked through a collar were ones that Lou has bred, I disagree. As far as the Colby dogs, I do believ that JP was a....better breeder. If you do an indept study on pedigrees of the two, you'll see the difference in how JP and Lou linebreed. I am NOT saying that Lou produces curs, just addressing that one statement. I also am quite fond of Boudreaux bred dogs, at least the ones I have been around, and they are a little bit longer of a dog also, that dont bother me!

I personally have not had any Chinaman dogs, so I cannot comment upon them. I have a friend who breeds that line tightly, and really believes in them, he likes them better than the Skull dogs.

But I am off topic here, please forgive me, as I have never been to a dog "show" as far as just looking at a dog goes, we(the circle I run in) have always bred for action, not looks. Give me an ugly game dog over a beautiful pet anyday, because even if what I want is a house dog, the gamest one ends up being the best for that job also!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.